Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Try this on for size: I hate Death Note. None of the characters were relatable, and Misa Amane was just an annoying little prick. I also dislike the "big three" (Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece).
As for series I like that most people don't, I like Gundam AGE, which isn't as bad as everyone says it is if you can get past the art style.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Try this on for size: I hate Death Note. None of the characters were relatable, and Misa Amane was just an annoying little prick. I also dislike the "big three" (Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece).
I hate that I have to dislike Death Note. I really, really like the premise, but the execution is awful. A show with the same basic story, but not the execution would be amazing.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote: I also dislike the "big three" (Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece).

This hasn't been controversial for 7 years.
Leave Shinji alone

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:32 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:I'm always open to see the other side, nor do I want to change your opinion. After all, this is a topic about controversial opinions. So far what I have done is disprove your theory that nostalgia is blinding people and I asked you to show me what part of the MSG movies you find so offensive that's worse than what I have shown you in SEED. I don't want to press any further though. You are free to praise your lord and savior.

Okay, shall we say that in my animes I require a certain visual aesthetic that I think the original Gundam often lacks (but some later Gundam series don't) and that bothers me a little bit too much to really enjoy the series? Furthermore, when it comes to Real Robot series I tend to prefer series that display the mechanical aspects of the mechs more prominently (Gundam 0083 does this quite well, as do Patlabor, L-Gaim, etc.).

Also, I don't think Tomino is as good a story teller as he is made out to be. His stuff tends to go into various directions (also in physical locations in the series) which sometimes seem to make no sense. Gundam Seed, being a retelling of the original, also suffers from this, by the way. Other series, Monster comes to mind, also seem to suffer from this initially, but then the author magistrally manages to bind everything together at a certain point. Tomino, in my opinion, fails in doing this. So the characters go to space, retrun to earth, repeat a few times, and it's a wonder they don't end up where they started.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:21 am

^^ Death Note? Just dreadful. One of the comparatively few shows that I couldn't finish. It's not that somewhat random killing can't be fun in a suitable context (Mirai Nikki, for example), but the twisted moralising that accompanied it in this case... No, just no.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bryant
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:End of Evangelion is a gigantic shit upon Neon Genesis Evangelion that pisses all over the characters (especially Shinji), totally destroys the perfect original ending, and should be considered entirely non-canon.

I completely disagree but the rest I pretty much agree with
Bryant Keitel

Been a fan of Evangelion for 19 years! I hope to continue be a fan till the day I die!

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Okay, shall we say that in my animes I require a certain visual aesthetic that I think the original Gundam often lacks (but some later Gundam series don't) and that bothers me a little bit too much to really enjoy the series? Furthermore, when it comes to Real Robot series I tend to prefer series that display the mechanical aspects of the mechs more prominently (Gundam 0083 does this quite well, as do Patlabor, L-Gaim, etc.).

Ok this is something I can comprehend. You may have noticed, I don't mind any of your other points because they are hardly controversial. If I had a dollar for every time someone complains about Tomino's direction...

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:15 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Like Robersora said, Ultimate or Original?.

Actually I hate them both equally.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:51 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Actually I hate them both equally.

you cheeky dickwaffle
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bryant
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 am

Death Note is a dreadful show
Bryant Keitel

Been a fan of Evangelion for 19 years! I hope to continue be a fan till the day I die!

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 am

View Original PostBryant wrote:Death Note is a dreadful show

I loved the anime but hated the manga. Go figure, right

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Bryant
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I loved the anime but hated the manga. Go figure, right

Wasn't a fan of either
Bryant Keitel

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 am

I liked Space Dandy way more than Cowboy Bebop.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:^^ Death Note? Just dreadful. One of the comparatively few shows that I couldn't finish. It's not that somewhat random killing can't be fun in a suitable context (Mirai Nikki, for example), but the twisted moralising that accompanied it in this case... No, just no.

The manga is better than the show, IIRC. It's a little easier to follow the twisted morals that drive the plot-- and the art is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned. Although, I'm surprised that you were able to get through the second half of Mirai Nikki and still feel the same way about Death Note that you do-- some of the reasons behind the killings are remarkably similar.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:23 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:I liked Space Dandy way more than Cowboy Bebop.

Me too! I can't seem to get into Bebop, lord knows how many times I tried.

- Suicidahlia

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I can't seem to get into Bebop, lord knows how many times I tried.
I watched some episodes when I was younger, decided to try again now that it's coming out on toonami. I've seen a few episodes and have maybe 7-8 recorded and am debating if It's worth it to watch them or just delete them and drop the series.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

No way no how. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 am

If you put a gun to my head, I still wouldn't finish K-ON! or start Lucky Star.

The only Haruhi episode that managed to rise above the level of "meh" was Space Battleru.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:20 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:OK, here goes:

* Gurren Lagann and Dantalian no Shoka are the only titles out of post-Anno Gainax that even rate as at least halfway decent

* Mononoke Hime is vastly overrated compared with other classic (last century) Ghibli films

* Puella Magi Madoka Magica has nothing to offer but the plot twists, and was otherwise sterile and un-engaging, to the point of being unfinishably bad.

* Other well thought of titles that I dropped like a brick include Texhnolyze, 5 cm/s, FLCL, Baccano!, Spice and Wolf, and Steins;Gate.

AH! Shame you dropped FLCL and Texhnolyze! I really want to elaborate on those shows in the future. They have some really cool aspects to them even if they are hard to get through. Though FLCL is only 6 episodes. ;D

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:24 pm

One more for you!

Kill la Kill is kinda crappy
Last edited by Dataprime on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Suicidahlia

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:One more for you!

Kill la Kill is kinda crappy

Dude. Kill la Kill is so crappy. I love it though. 4.5/10.

Return to “Anime and Manga”