What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:03 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I do actually sympathise with Ange. She doesn't know any better being literally brainwashed by the system and then being thrown into the lion's cage like that - why shouldn't I care? She is no two goody shoes but she isn't an asshole without a reason either and she is starting to grow. I want to see where this is going. Her kingdom seems far away but I'm sure she is will try to take it back sooner or later and I've always been a fan of revolution and kickass women. My biggest fear right now is that notKira will change her and the whole thing for the worse.

Agree, though I don't have your visceral reaction to not!Kira (though I probably should, given past precedent).

Your link, considering how spoiled she was the maid did everything for her and she enjoyed it. And for the occasions she ever tried to use magic herself the maid likely made it look like she could use mana. It all fits.

Also agreed. That particular bit was awkward, but hardly damning.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Souther
Embryo

Postby Souther » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But the point is that we've had three episodes to develop since then, and what's happened since is actually kind of interesting. I mean, the long and the short of it is that Ange seriously fucked up, and she's being held accountable, and it's neat to see how she's developing in response. But she is developing, and there's some nuance to be seen in the characters around her. Plenty of pandering, yes, but there's a pretty legit story there as well.

I am emphasizing the first episode since the start of any story is of vital importance. The concept sounds legit, on paper, but the way it is being implemented and the resulting implications are more questionable. She's being held accountable as part of the exploitative nature of the narrative, which is also arguably disproportionate given that Ange shouldn't even be blamed for her upbringing. In other words, I have a problem with both sides of that equation. Along with the other issues, that kind of development methodology doesn't interest me.

If there is indeed more nuance to the cast after the fact, although I doubt it is significant enough to compensate so far, then the creative decision to introduce us to the world and its cast of characters like this is still subject to criticism. Beyond that point, we once again come back to the matter of exactly what is needed to make a story "not legit" and this will inevitably vary from person to person. Ultimately, it's not impossible that the series will massively improve in the long term. I just don't think it's worth such a risky investment. If you're fine with that, then I'll disagree but can still respect your choice.

Cross Agne has used it all of once thus far, with the threat of it an additional time. That's it. And it didn't do anything whatsoever to legitimate it, either -- it was portrayed as something shocking and wrong, and the perpetrator was killed in ep 3 (and those who resent her death are being portrayed as bad guys, so there's that as well). There are no instances of the protag raping anyone and getting away with it, so I don't think Valvrave comes out looking very good here.

My objections and those of other people aren't only limited to the scene where it actually happens, but the show's whole atmosphere and attitude around the subject matter. There is a form of implicit legitimization when viewed from the angle that her mistreatment was payback for how she treated the Norma. Since she was a horrible person, it's alright to do a few terrible things to her. Some of the perpetrators were punished, like the woman from episode two, but now it seems she wasn't so bad after all. Plus it seems anyone who is genuinely kind to Ange is going to end up dead. Hilarious but unappealing. In short, I don't like where the "team" dynamics of this thing are going, based on what I'm hearing and reading every week. The Valvrave scene can be seen as offensive, no argument there. I merely found it less disgusting.

Geass took itself way too seriously. At least CA knows what it is and rolls with it; with Geass I have to adjust for the hype before I can even begin to engage with it, and that's just too much damn work.

That's a matter of perspective. Drama and seriousness are related yet distinct. Compared to Cross Ange or VVV, I would say the series had more balance in its approach without being unaware of its own craziness. You can say Lelouch took everything surrounding him too seriously, but not the other way around. In fact, if you read what the creators had to say, even early on, they never took it too seriously and weren't asking for that. I think the show itself, as well as its side materials, directly reflect this. Stylistically speaking, Code Geass had more in common with GunxSword, which also had a protagonist who is serious about his motivations yet surrounded by a lot of silliness, than with any Gundam or the recent "Geass-likes" made without Taniguchi's involvement.

By the sound of it you're basing that on one episode, so how would you know? Having watched the lot of them I can say I'm definitely hooked, because they actually are giving me reason to think there's something to her as a character. And while the dragons haven't been justified just yet the battles are cool enough that I'll give them some rope to work with there. I'm not about to call this a great show, but it's still better than it has any right to be given the obvious pandering and such.

Mostly, but not exclusively. I'm not watching anymore, but I have been keeping up with reactions across the board and reading about each episode.

For me, the hook here is "I don't care about this character, but there's just enough there to think I might eventually, so I'll let you try and sell me." Sometimes you don't get everything you want in a story handed to you on a silver platter. I admit that this crew is hardly one worthy of the benefit of the doubt, but for some reason I want to give them a chance this time around.

Then my last word on it, both for you and Fireball, is this: I hope you will not be disappointed later on.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:45 pm

View Original PostSouther wrote:My objections and those of other people aren't only limited to the scene where it actually happens, but the show's whole atmosphere and attitude around the subject matter. There is a form of implicit legitimization when viewed from the angle that her mistreatment was payback for how she treated the Norma. Since she was a horrible person, it's alright to do a few terrible things to her. Some of the perpetrators were punished, like the woman from episode two, but now it seems she wasn't so bad after all.

I would call it karma. Ange is a tragic character and the horrible things that happened to her are not because she is a racist but are a result of the fucked up system that made her one. Glass-eyed dyke was a cunt and died for it but she was also the alpha leader who held the team together, so obviously she had her followers.

Then my last word on it, both for you and Fireball, is this: I hope you will not be disappointed later on.

The biggest struggle right now is to know how much to invest oneself. I obviously enjoy it but I'm aware about the man behind the work.

When I watched the first episode I felt yeah, this will be another train wreck. As of now, I think it's enjoyable. It's trashy, in a good sense.

also I love Ange's bitching in the previews.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:also I love Ange's bitching in the previews.

Yes, agreed. And this is why I enjoy the show -- it is very much self-aware, and that means its potential is nigh-limitless. If it were the usual crap I'd dismiss it, but since it lampshades all of its major issues I'm inclined to give it a chance. Because, well, why not?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Souther
Embryo

Postby Souther » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:46 pm

There's quite a tonal contrast between them and the actual content of the episode(s). Not exactly the first time that gimmick has been used, but it's nice when shows do something amusing or interesting with their next episode previews. I can always acknowledge that much, even if in this case I am not going to follow the series they're attached to. Sadly, it's not like the previews will suddenly take over the narrative and turn it into something else. :lol:

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 pm

We watched a couple of episodes of Nisekoi in the anime club, at school, last year. I decided to watch it completely.

I had forgotten how wonderfully cheesy the entire show is. It's great.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Unlimited Blade Works 03: Anime of the year

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 am

Question. If Berserker is Hercules. Why is he wearing a Kilt?

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:06 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Question. If Berserker is Hercules. Why is he wearing a Kilt?
Fine taste transcends time and space.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:26 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Question. If Berserker is Hercules. Why is he wearing a Kilt?

Dude, it has King Arthur as a little girl.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Cross Ange 04: This show

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Cross Ange 04: This show

Glorious, isn't it?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I don't think it's a kilt so much as a Greek war skirt or something.

The outfits of the Heroic Spirits tend to vary between historical (ie: Zero!Rider, Saber, Zero!Berserker) and historically-inaccurate-but-cool (ie: Rider, Caster, Zero!Lancer).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I'm catching on? BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 am

Cross Ange ep 04

No way I'd miss this one, that's the Freedom's beam rifle, shield, and over-the-shoulder rail cannon. The second rifle I think belongs to the Impulse. No clue where the big gun belongs to, or the weapons shown in the following shot.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

I watched episodes 1-6 of the legendary hentai collaberation Cool Devices.

Wow, this shit is intense. The animation is very variable, ranging from fairly good to "how to draw manga" levels of awfulness. The music is consistently great though. The sex is VERY graphic, and mostly BDSM centric.

I've got 5 more "Operations" to go. Wish me luck.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 am

Finished Nisekoi.

I couldn't handle it, guys. I think I may have hurt myself. The level of alcohol required to deal with that level of awkwardness and angst would have killed a horse. It wasn't a bad experience, but I found myself yelling "FOR FUCKS SAKE, JUST TELL HIM/HER HOW YOU FEEL, JESUS CHRIST." The ending was not very climactic, either.

Much like Oreimo, would not watch again for some time.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 am

Yeah, Nisekoi needs to go on to resolve things more (so what about the locket and key, eh?). I liked it enough that I would watch another season.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:41 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote: I found myself yelling "FOR FUCKS SAKE, JUST TELL HIM/HER HOW YOU FEEL, JESUS CHRIST."

THIS SHIT IS THE WORST. FAFAIOFJAOIFJOAIFJOAIFJOAIFJOAIJFOAIFJOAIFJAOIFJOAIF.

Why do animu writers continually bring up this stuff over and over again, it's such a cheap hook to keep the reader dragged along.
Leave Shinji alone

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:15 pm

View Original PostEleven wrote:Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika ... I am thinking about watching the movies, of wich I heard that the first two are simply retelling the story, but the third one provides a new / different ending with a big twist. I was (more or less) satisfied with the TV ending.
Will I therefore regret watching the third movie? Is there any point in watching the first two?

There's no point. The first two are pure recap. The third movie is a continuation of the story. It is abysmal. It ruins the poingnant end of the TV series. I hope you didn't watch it yet, because it's worthless and should be avoided at all costs.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:30 pm

^There are enough minor differences in the movies for them to be considered a separate continuity, if it makes you feel better.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Old Stickies”