[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You could even say that it became the iconic outfit of Asuka Shikinami (thankfully replacing the Test Plugsuit), and even a symbol of the Rebuild!

Soooooo...Asuka is the new Eva bandage babe?

Anyway, is anyone interested in reviews (well, previews, since I won't be building them anytime soon...) of vintage Eva resin kits?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Anyway, is anyone interested in reviews (well, previews, since I won't be building them anytime soon...) of vintage Eva resin kits?

Yes please.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Soooooo...Asuka is the new Eva bandage babe?

No, Asuka is the scotch-tape/eyepatch babe, the official bandage babe is still and will forever still be Rei! :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Yes please.

Here's five of them, text-only until I put up the pictures I took (which may take a while):

All kits dating back to late 1990s, all originals.

1)
Fourth Angel Syamsiel (Shamshel)
Manufacturer: Hobby Base Rettpu
Scale: non-scale
Original retail (can be found for): 8,800 yen (1,000 yen)
Shamshel consists of 25 parts, cast in a fairly dark yellow resin that lacks any apparent air bubbles. The detail is crisp and fine, with few seamlines apparent. There are locator stubs on some parts, and dimples to show where metal rods can be inserted for pinning the kit. It can be assembled in either its laydown or erect position, but not both at once. According to the instructions, the completed kit is either 235 mm long or tall. What is slightly disturbing is that this means that Shamshel's body is only slightly larger than a real human penis, mostly ressembling a dark yellow dildo (so, the kit has to be kept out of reach of lewd humans... :sperm: ). The instructions give no real assembly instructions, only indicating which kit parts correspond to Shamshel's various parts. The Japanese text appears to contain painting instructions, but no picture of the completed kit or color numbers are provided, so the modeller will have to find these themselves. They will also have to make a stand for Shamshel, as none is provided.

2)
Mana Kirishima
Manufacturer: Clayz
Scale: 1/6
Original retail (can be found for): 9,800 yen (3,000 yen)
Mana Kirishima in her summer dress (looking cute) is sculpted by T's System, and is one of his better Evangelion efforts. Her 17 parts are made of a light yellow resin with a slightly rough surface. The detail is good, not excellent, as some edges appear a little bit soft and rounded (mold wear?). Parts have noticeable seam lines that will need sanding. The legs are separated in a top and bottom half just above the knee, which is rather unfortunate. Unhandy parts separation is an issue that crops up on more T's System kits, unfortunately. The other parts have good parts separation. The parts have locator nubs and dimples for pinning the kit. A single picture of the finished kit is provided for the painting. The modeller will have to supply his own base for Mana.

3)
Rei Ayanami (bandage version)
Manufacturer: Clayz
Scale: 1/6
Original retail (can be found for): 9,800 yen (3,000 yen)
Another T's System kit, and in my opinion his other really great Evangelion figure, Rei Ayanami consists of 20 parts made from a slightly darker yellow resin than Mana, with the same somewhat rough surface. This is the kit of her in hospital clothing, with loose bandages floating in the wind, based on an illustration Sadamoto did. Again, detail is good, but unlike Mana, Rei's parts suffer from a serious amount of air bubbles in some places and the seam lines are not always in good places either, meaning removing them will be difficult at times. She has no problems in her parts separation. The parts have locator nubs and dimples for pinning the kit. A single picture of the finished kit is provided for the painting. The modeller will have to supply his own base for Rei. Apparently the convention version of this kit lacks the bandage parts, so you better track down the retail (this) version.

4)
Shinji Ikari
Manufacturer: Kotobukiya
Scale: 1/8
Original retail (can be found for): 4,800 yen (2,100 yen)
This Shinji, in his school uniform, is part of Kotobukiya's 1997 Evangelion line-up. He is made of 4 parts, which are held together using polycaps - supposedly. The system looked dodgy, so I tried it and it doesn't work. The polycaps don't fit well in the parts and don't hold anything, as the pegs molded in the parts are too small. So you will have to replace the polycaps by normal pins to hold the parts together (as I will). The parts are made from a light yellow smooth-surfaced resin, with light seam lines and no bubbles (but there is some flash). Painting instructions include paint numbers (Gunze) and two pictures of the completed figure. No base is provided, but if the pictures are to be believed Shinji can stand without help.

5)
End of Evangelion Cast set (Wonderfest exclusive)
Manufacturer: Happy Beru Beru
Scale: 1/20?
Original retail (can be found for): ???? yen (2,000 yen)
This is a kit from one of the Japanese Wonderfest festivals that kept sitting on Y! Auctions Japan for a low amount (the shit picture likely didn't help it at all). It features the whole main cast of EoE made from a clear yellow resin, plus Asuka and Rei in their swimsuits. So it has Gendo in his Commander's uniform, Fuyutsuki, the bridge bunnies, Kaji, and Misato in their uniform, Asuka, Rei and Shinji in their plugsuits, Rei and Asuka in their swimsuits, and Ritsuko in her doctor getup. Detail is crisp, with few air bubbles visible, but there is quite a bit of flash around the seam lines. There are a few separate parts, that due to their size will probably stay put with superglue. A single picture is provided to help painting, but really is too small to do anything with. The figures need a base, which isn't provided.

I also have Kotobukiya's small Eva resin kits (+ a weapon set), which I'll review later, and a Technique Impossible kit, but that one is at the bottom of a stack of 50 other kits :cringe: -o-;

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:26 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:What is slightly disturbing is that this means that Shamshel's body is only slightly larger than a real human penis, mostly ressembling a dark yellow dildo

You can't post stuff like this without picture :\

Meanwhile, a box has arrived at my door

One of the things in the box  SPOILER: Show

This should be fun.

The other main thing in the box  SPOILER: Show

Since this is going to be forced into being Eva-related :D

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:56 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You can't post stuff like this without picture :\

Okay, just for you I will take a picture of it in a more appropriate setting (that is, besides the one showing it on a piece of paper next to a ruler I'll take a picture of it in my hand - anyone know an image host that won't be offended by that? -o-; )

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:09 pm

imgur.com doesn't care as long as you don't make it a public gallery.
minus.com doesn't care at all

eva 01 night kubrick
Embryo

question

•      
  •      

Postby eva 01 night kubrick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:29 am

is there anybody collecting kubricks here?
hi guys

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Here's my profile on myfigurecollection if anyone's interested. Managed to collect 10 of the Bandai Portrait figures so far.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:21 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:So some more figs are coming.

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3327.html

Tapesuit sure is popular

I love that feline smile of hers. :nyao:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I love that feline smile of hers. :nyao:

It sure is a refreshing change from her perpetual frown shown in Q! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ivansambrana
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ivansambrana » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 am

Just arrive
SEGA PM EVA MARK.09 -
SEGA PM Tentative Name: Ayanami Rei -
SEGA HG Eva02'y

SPOILER: Show
http://ivansambrana.tumblr.com/

eva 01 night kubrick
Embryo

info

•      
  •      

Postby eva 01 night kubrick » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm

is there a buy/sell section where i can ask for help to find eva kubrick night version?
hi guys

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:25 pm

View Original Posteva 01 night kubrick wrote:is there a buy/sell section where i can ask for help to find eva kubrick night version?

It is the sticky right under this one

ivansambrana, your image doesn't work.

In other news, Nendoroid Racequeens are slowly showing themselves off

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3344.html

EDIT:
The boxart for Kotobukiya's Eva-13 has been revealed:

It will come in a bigger box. 40x33cm, which is twice as big as the previous Koto kits but not as deep.

EDIT 2:
Nendoroid Asuka racequeen:

Also I the Shikinami ver. Butt figure it out.

Just paid for mine at HLJ, but it's gonna sit in the Private Warehouse of their for a few weeks because I want to combine shipping with some other stuff.

Aoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Also I the Shikinami ver. Butt figure it out.

Just paid for mine at HLJ, but it's gonna sit in the Private Warehouse of their for a few weeks because I want to combine shipping with some other stuff.

May I ask you about that figure?

I'll go full newbie with this questions but I've never bought a single figure. Actually, I never liked them before, but that Asuka it's just stunning.

I don't see myself buying figures but I always liked the idea of having only one in front of the series and art books and all that stuff that I actually feel attracted just to decorate. And this Asuka wow really blows me away. How can this figure be so beautiful?

Ok. So I looked for her on eBay and found several different prices for what seems to be the same figure.
i.e
http://ebay.to/1tGTe3G
http://ebay.to/1tGTD6q
100 dollars difference.
Why?

They seem to be the last figures released of Asuka 3.0 to the date. I couldn't find a unboxing video.
One of the links said its a pre-sale or something like that. Perhaps they are not in stores yet, are they? If not, when will this happen?

Whats the difference with this other figure http://ebay.to/1FuCzUm

I found a potential red cross book seller and I need to self cheer me up if the purchase goes wrong. This Asuka could be the perfect excuse. But... if he actually sells me the book I won't have enough money. Ok, so my last question is: will this be limited? Will I be able to find her in a month or two?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer me.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 am

Some nice shots of the Alter fig: http://toy-navi.net/archives/40855835.html

If you want to buy it, your best bet is to lurk on myfigurecolletion right now if someone is giving away their preorder, just go through comments backlog.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

View Original PostAoren wrote:Ok. So I looked for her on eBay and found several different prices for what seems to be the same figure.
i.e
http://ebay.to/1tGTe3G
http://ebay.to/1tGTD6q
100 dollars difference.
Why?

They seem to be the last figures released of Asuka 3.0 to the date. I couldn't find a unboxing video.
One of the links said its a pre-sale or something like that. Perhaps they are not in stores yet, are they? If not, when will this happen?

Whats the difference with this other figure http://ebay.to/1FuCzUm

From what I understand Alter figures are pre-order only and once it's gone then it's gone from regular stores.

As soon as it was released all the stores changes status to Sold Out or Discontinued
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-005415
http://www.hlj.com/product/ALT20362

You'll have to get it from other people that bought it.

The original price is ~11,000 yen which is ~$110. The $200+ price is a clear scalper. It's never a good idea to pay those prices because you get ripped off and support that horrible business model of ripping people off.

Keep in mind that if you missed the pre-order patience will be your friend. Just keep checking the various places until someone wants to sell theirs for a reasonable price.

As for the other figures, they're completely different. Different manufacturer, etc.
http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3327.html

EDIT: Disclaimer: since this is actually my first pre-painted figure the above information may not be 100% accurate, so maybe someone with more experience can answer better

In other news, more pics of some other upcoming figures:

EDIT 2:

And also pics of the Sega Prize Figures of ReiQ and Kaworu:
http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3322.html

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm

A good source for limited edition figures after the initial sale period is www.mandarake.co.jp

However, they can be expensive depending on the figure's popularity.

@TMBountyHunter:

Are those Volks Charagumin figures color resin kits?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Hmm, I actually had no clue the volks figures were kits. But it does seem that they are.

They even have an english site:

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/charagumin/chara79.html/
http://www.volks.co.jp/en/charagumin/chara82.html/

Damnit, maybe I should save up for these...

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Charagumin are resin kits that you need to assemble yourself, the parts are colored though and you get sticker for the eyes and such. No fancy boxes and if you want it to look nicer, you gotta put it some work yourself. Volks ships internationally though (BiJ stocks em too but you pay a markup for no reason).

Most PVC figure preorder have a certain cutoff date, after which the manufacturer stops taking preorders, that's why some smaller stores like Big in Japan usually cut off their preorders sooner, while AmiAmi probably takes on extra stock. Some come back in stock after release date, but I don't know enough about the figure business to tell you why, I guess some makers overproduce. PVC figures can be a shitty business where you see stuff 50% off not long after it comes out.

Anyways, like I said, if you missed the preorder go lurk on myfigurecollection, each figure has its own comment section where people give away their preorders or comment on stock. My guess is this week is the easiest to snatch a preorder from someone that doesn't want it.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”