Misato and her change of heart between 2.22 and 3.33

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ultrahuntr
Adam

Misato and her change of heart between 2.22 and 3.33

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:33 pm

**If there's already a thread on this please feel free to direct me to it! :D**

So this is something that's been bothering me ever since I watched 3.0 several months back. Between 2.22 and 3.0 (3.33) Misato seems to do a complete 360 on her opinion of Shinji. She from cheering him on in rescuing Rei II from Zeruel, to possibly doubting the situation (at the very end of 2.22) to being outright short and rude with him in 3.0. The events at the conclusion of 2.22 happened in a fit of rage, and past a certain point were out of his control, but it seems that Misato is putting all of the blame on him. She KNEW he was being used by Gendo, but is a jerk to Shinji anyway.

Since she knows how he is after living with him, does anyone have any speculation on why she would act like this? It seems to me that she would, based on her character, nicer and more understanding to Shinji, instead of blaming him for what are essentially the acts of his father.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:43 pm

My take on it is laid out in my fanfic, starting at Scene 18. You can also read the notes I made when preparing to write those scenes.

Other threads:
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16661/Misatos-Characterization-Level-EEE/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16220/Misatos-feelings-towards-Shinji-at-the-start-of-Q/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13412/Misatos-relationship-with-Shinji-in-30/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14708/Misatos-whisper-of-Shinji-kun-on-the-Wunder/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14076/Blaming-Misato/[/url]
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Since she knows how he is after living with him, does anyone have any speculation on why she would act like this?

Because she can't show weakness to her new crew (Willie) regardless of how she personally feels about the kid and the fact she's dealt with the trauma of Second Impact as a teenager, no doubt bringing back some rather unpleasant, painful memories of that event. Also, the damage done to Tokyo-3, Nerv, and the general GeoFront by Impact-kun's Shogouki and being at war for 14 years.

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My take on it is laid out in my fanfic, starting at Scene 18. You can also read the notes I made when preparing to write those scenes.

Other threads:
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16661/Misatos-Characterization-Level-EEE/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16220/Misatos-feelings-towards-Shinji-at-the-start-of-Q/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13412/Misatos-relationship-with-Shinji-in-30/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14708/Misatos-whisper-of-Shinji-kun-on-the-Wunder/[/url]
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14076/Blaming-Misato/[/url]

I like it! And it honestly backs up some of my thoughts as well. I'll look more into your notes when I have time. And these threads as well! thanks a lot!

Also Rei IV, that doesn't explain why she was still being a jerk to him in front of just Ritsuko.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 pm

14 years of hell and war caused (either directly or indirectly) by the closest thing you ever had to a son will turn anyone into a cold and bitter person.

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:13 pm

But that's like blaming a puppet for murder when the puppetmaster still has the strings in his hands. And on TOP of that, Seele is STILL even higher on that train then Gendo, since Seele is who stopped 3I and sealed Shinji and Rei II inside of Unit 01.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:19 pm

It's because she hasn't had a beer in 14 years.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It's because she hasn't had a beer in 14 years.

See, this is something more believable. Haha.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:57 pm

View Original PostUltrahuntr wrote:See, this is something more believable. Haha.

It's because she hasn't seen Kaji in 14(+?) years. hint hint

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:It's because she hasn't seen Kaji in 14(+?) years. hint hint

Q_Q

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:55 am

Well, the problem is that we didn't really get to see that much of Misato, the only moment of characterization was her reaction to the surprise return of Shinji, that no one foresaw or was prepared for.
To really see if she had a change of heart, we need to see her in a quieter situation without the stress of a NS attack or an Impact underway, where she have the time to think about Shinji's return and how she feels about it.

Since Gendo will probably need some time to prepare for his plan (he wouldn't be building an army of MP-Evas if that wasn't the case), I'm sure that we'll know more of her feelings (and the rest of the WILLE staff) in Shin Eva.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 am

That's agreeable. Plus we do see a tinge of her old self when she's holding up the remote for the choker at Shinji but can't bring herself to kill Shinji.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:32 pm

View Original PostUltrahuntr wrote:That's agreeable. Plus we do see a tinge of her old self when she's holding up the remote for the choker at Shinji but can't bring herself to kill Shinji.

I would say she is still very much her old self, in the way she carries herself whenever she's serious and means business. Despite being whimsical and carefree in her casual life pre-timeskip she still displayed deadly focus and determination when it came to her mission. Q!Misato is the same way, but with fourteen more years of weathering and experience to reinforce her decisions.

The way she treats Shinji sure is a radical difference, but this time he is getting in the way of her work, rather than being an asset to her work, so I don't blame her.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Good point. At that, I'm really interested to see where her character development goes in Final.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Pwhodges seems to have a good idea of a possible development, which I'm 100% behind, in my opinion. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:01 pm

I actually like it a lot too. It seems pretty strong as far as possibilities go.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:21 pm

I believe I have probably made a pretty close stab at Misato's thoughts and feelings in Q - but how Anno will actually develop them in the last film is of course something I'm not privy to; but he surely won't make her feelings any less sympathetic.

Anyway, beyond that my intention is to stay, as strictly as I can manage, faithful to existing canon as I read it, and to provide a plausible continuation on those terms with a sensible amount of character development. However, I can't pretend that my four months of intermittent amateur thought about this will compare in any way with Anno's ten or twenty years living it. My Shinji has probably had it too easy, if what he has had to go through for his final mental growth previously is anything to go by; in particular, I expect the last film to include something at least comparable with the earlier instrumentality, which in my story will be averted.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My Shinji has probably had it too easy, if what he has had to go through for his final mental growth previously is anything to go by; in particular, I expect the last film to include something at least comparable with the earlier instrumentality, which in my story will be averted.

What, you think that everything he got through in Q is still not enough? :lol:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:34 pm

He didn't reached "fap to comatose gir" level yet, so no. He can be broken some more :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:46 pm

^
No, he already reached the state "broken unresponsive sack of meat" that comes after the fapping in EoE, and without even needing it this time!

Seriously I just don't see how he could be broken even more, even his catatonic self in EoE still had some presence to answer to Misato from time to time. The one at the end of Q could be considered dead!

There's nothing else to broke, only to recover, and breaking him again after that while there's still one movie left is really less than likely.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”