Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:26 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Don't explain the joke, you just spoiled it for all of us who were under the impression that Monk Ed is in his bunk thinking about Inuyasha in that one special way now and then... :lol:

:headscratch: I don't see how the pun in any way makes that not the case.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:30 pm

I don't watch a lot of anime but, here's mine:
-Usagi seems surprised to be there :lol: -
View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
SPOILER: Show
On the topic of harems -- what about reverse-harems? By that I mean people you want to be in the harem of.

My top pick: Inuyasha.

What's that you say? Not Chrom? Not Ike? No! Inuyasha for the win from behind! (Ahem.)

The guy's got it all: Killer body, supernatural athleticism, gentle when it's called for, rough when it's not, a girlfriend to make things even more interesting (and to keep company on those late nights he's away), and Miroku, for when three is the magic number but Kagome just wants to watch. He's way too proud to be anything but the top dog but still short and cute enough that being his waifu doesn't feel like being his bitch, and you know he has to treat you right or else Kagome will put him in his place and failing that the next new moon is never more than a month away.

But most importantly of all, he has: Attitude. Obviously, he's totally tsundere and that's all the rage today, but he's at his best playing the cocky attitude as we see in many of his fights in the series. His smirk melts me as easily as his tsundere blushes and babblings. He'd be the type to find you naked and alone on a dirt road, freshly fallen into the world from your home dimension, and bluster about how he'll "let" you follow him around (with Kagome providing smiling assurances from beside you, perhaps with a sweatdrop at Inuyasha's presentation) as long as you do a certain something when he asks for it, and oh, will he, and not in much the form of asking. He's got that "gonna-take-what-I-want(-as-long-as-it's-actually-okay-with-you)" attitude, and if there's anything hotter in a dominant character (of either gender), I haven't seen it. And if it's a role-reversal we're in the mood for, Kagome's "sit!" command will let him keep his pride :devil:.

Key to the success is being able to really hit it off with Kagome, of course -- everyone knows she's the one who says what goes, and besides, every husbando wants his waifus to get along, right? But Kagome's a welcoming girl, and I've got a great pitch ("Surely you've always wanted to see Inuyasha and the Monk go at it?"). For maximum awesome add blushing hesitant Sango who can't help but breathe strangely as she watches from the sidelines because Kagome brought her over but didn't tell her what for and now it's too late to leave without being rude.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle Monk!!! That reverse harem is genius, 'cause awww yeah "sit boy!" :naughty:

And thinking of my reverse harem... Aside from Shinji's? I dunno let me think it b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶e̶e̶p̶ after finishing my homework.

View Original PostGT-One wrote:Had a look at all the shows, I've been watching during the last 20 years, and picked my favorites, who themselves would probably make a great and interesting line-up for separate anime show.

That one is purrrrrfect. :marihearts:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:I gotta admit, maybe I was being hypocritical, being a fan of Saint Seiya in the 1980s (lots and lots of pretty boys going barechested now and then - that gotta be the male equivalent of panty shots, right? :devil: )

Male fanservice is a funny thing. I can't speak for what ladies are looking for, but for me, a shot of a guy's underwear doesn't do much, as long as we're not talking about a trap or anything like that. On a guy whose appeal is oriented around more typically masculine traits, barechestedness is much hotter -- though, even then, simple barechestedness doesn't mean much on its own. Inuyasha, to go back to my go-to example, looks at his best when he's in his usual outfit but with the top down. It communicates an interesting mixture of powerfulness (because muscles) and vulnerability (because exposed, also sometimes bandages, sexy sexy bandages). When it comes to males, what makes it sexy has a lot more to do with what it means than how it looks.

Interesting little fact: According to the yaoi panels that I went to this past Anime Central, my taste in men and yaoi is more similar to that of a typical woman than to that of a typical gay man. I deduced it from their discussion of the differences between yaoi that is aimed at women and yaoi that is aimed at gay men; the examples they showed of the kinds of things that appeal to women (which incidentally included the Shinji and Kaworu bath scene) appealed to me on average quite a bit more than the pics they showed of hentai aimed at gay men (which actually made me want to throw up in my mouth a little :hahaha:).

Whether this makes me a good authority to say what would make for gender-balanced fanservice, I don't know. Not many market to the bisexual male demographic, and even then, tastes vary considerably enough between individuals let alone across sexes and orientations.

But if my tastes by sheer chance are some indication, I can see why there isn't more male fanservice of the same kind as female fanservice: It's just not as interesting. On a guy, an everyday outfit will probably look sexier to me than anything that's actually trying to be sexy. Kaworu looks way hotter to me in his school uniform than he would in a G-string or a mankini or a chippendale outfit or any other kind of wear that's trying to be overtly sexy. There's an element of teasing there that's the most important part, the almost-but-not-quite, which is why normal clothes are such an important part of that ensemble. In male fanservice, subtlety is golden. Arguably this is true of female fanservice too and that's why we have things like panty-shots and zettai ryouiki, but I hope that the difference I see comes through in my examples.

In recent memory, the happiest my gay side ever was was watching Evangelion Q. I can't tell you how hard my heart pounded at the sight of Shinji and Kaworu sitting on that bed together, especially the closeup of their almost-touching hands. It's at least ten times hotter than their bath scene was to me. I ached so bad to see just a little bit more -- I'd have died in my seat if they'd kissed. :lol: That is way more male fanservice-y than a bunch of guys running around barechested. Actions, situations, are more fanservicey than body parts.

Interesting little fact #2, because all this talk of what appeals to whom reminded me: At Hentarmageddon, another hentai-themed event I went to last ACen, the presenter said that "liking traps doesn't make you gay -- in fact, the fanbase of traps is overwhelmingly straight males". This was a considerable "Huh?" moment for me: one, there's only two options? And two: Isn't the entire appeal of traps that they're actually male? It's not like it's an incidental feature or anything. Well, identification is a thing, and I guess if the only kind of dude a dude likes is a dude who looks exactly like a chick and he really really wants to still call himself straight, who am I to be the orientation police?

That panel had this one fantastic picture of Loran Cehack, by the way... which reminds me, I haven't done my own anime harem yet. (And who knows if Loran would make the cut, limited to just 8 slots?)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:At Hentarmageddon, another hentai-themed event I went to last ACen, the presenter said that "liking traps doesn't make you gay -- in fact, the fanbase of traps is overwhelmingly straight males". This was a considerable "Huh?" moment for me: one, there's only two options? And two: Isn't the entire appeal of traps that they're actually male?
There's a lot of trap /a/pologists like that around; anonymity prevents any correlation with the people who contrariwise assert that finding Girl!Ranma, Kampfer!Natsuru, or TailRed attractive is a sign that you're g/a/y.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Bare-chested, yeah. It's good stuff-- and I can nearly relate to your comments on Kaworu. (I totally would have squeed on the inside.)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:35 pm

I...may I say that what you wrote here is delicious? ^_^ it's very much in line with what I find attractive in both males AND females in fan-art and official art.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Inuyasha, to go back to my go-to example, looks at his best when he's in his usual outfit but with the top down. It communicates an interesting mixture of powerfulness (because muscles) and vulnerability (because exposed, also sometimes bandages, sexy sexy bandages). When it comes to males, what makes it sexy has a lot more to do with what it means than how it looks.

Me thinks you would love Rurouni Kenshin...some shonen ai series also make use of this aesthetic, and you are entirely right, it is very attractive.

But if my tastes by sheer chance are some indication, I can see why there isn't more male fanservice of the same kind as female fanservice: It's just not as interesting. On a guy, an everyday outfit will probably look sexier to me than anything that's actually trying to be sexy. Kaworu looks way hotter to me in his school uniform than he would in a G-string or a mankini or a chippendale outfit or any other kind of wear that's trying to be overtly sexy. There's an element of teasing there that's the most important part, the almost-but-not-quite, which is why normal clothes are such an important part of that ensemble. In male fanservice, subtlety is golden. Arguably this is true of female fanservice too and that's why we have things like panty-shots and zettai ryouiki, but I hope that the difference I see comes through in my examples.

Personally, I rather dislike the panty-shot as female fanservice, just like 'boobs-out' outfits and the kind of female fanservice you find in a lot of US comics (arched back, framing that focusses on breasts and asses, customes that are little more than fancy swimsuits). It's all so unsubtle. On the other hand, give me a kimono-clad character, male or female, just a regular kimono worn the regular way, offer hints that the character is wearing very little underneath besides a sarashi and some underpants (or equivalent), but don't undress them unnecessarily in blatant ways or have them suffer unnatural clothing damage, and it's so insanely hot, because there's this element of 'unpacking' that could be done, but isn't, except when the character in question is wounded.

In recent memory, the happiest my gay side ever was was watching Evangelion Q. I can't tell you how hard my heart pounded at the sight of Shinji and Kaworu sitting on that bed together, especially the closeup of their almost-touching hands. It's at least ten times hotter than their bath scene was to me. I ached so bad to see just a little bit more -- I'd have died in my seat if they'd kissed. :lol: That is way more male fanservice-y than a bunch of guys running around barechested. Actions, situations, are more fanservicey than body parts.

This also applies to Saint Seiya. Sure, they go barechested now and then, but what makes the series interesting is the massive amount of ho-yay between characters (as its large female following will likely show you). What is amusing is that it is a series of 95% pretty boys doing a lot of male bonding + sentimentality, and the author still says everything is unintentional. :lol:

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:00 am

So hard to choose! But I'm happy with my choices. :P

Starting from top, left to right:

Yui takamura
Sailor Uranus-Haruka/Amara Tenoh
Rei Ayanami
Asuna Yuuki
Shiemi Moriyama
Riruka Dokugamine
Mami Tomoe
Mikasa Ackerman
Last edited by ::KL7:: on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:01 am

Who's the girl on the far bottom left?

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:15 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Who's the girl on the far bottom left?

Shiemi Moriyama from Blue Exorcist

Sorry, will edit/add names later on. :)

GT-One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GT-One » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 am

I guess, one could have countless discussions, not only about the chosen characters themselves, but also about the particular picture, one does choose to represent that specific character.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness." - Haruhi Suzumiya
"Is that supposed to be funny?" - Kyon

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:38 am

View Original PostGT-One wrote:I guess, one could have countless discussions, not only about the chosen characters themselves, but also about the particular picture, one does choose to represent that specific character.

...Which is a lot more of what I'd want to see in here, instead of just pictures.

(@all:) I don't expect everyone to ejaculate a massive essay like I did, especially not about 8 characters at a time, but come on, people! Why are these characters so awesome to you that you'd give them one of only 8 slots in your anime harem? At least pick one to go into detail about.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 am

Ruri (Martian Successor Nadesico); Ryuuko (Kill la Kill); Kino (Kino's Journey); Sakura (Evangelion)
Msyu ([C]); Benten (The Eccentric Family); Honey (Re: Cutie Honey); Radical Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

It was different yesterday, and it'll be different again tomorrow.

View Original PostGT-One wrote:I guess, one could have countless discussions, not only about the chosen characters themselves, but also about the particular picture, one does choose to represent that specific character.

For Ruri and Msyu, the pictures I would have preferred are framed horizontally, and so wouldn't fit.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:come on, people! Why are these characters so awesome to you that you'd give them one of only 8 slots in your anime harem?

Ruri: A cold genius whose every word is comedy gold ("baka bakka"); what's not to like? (and that hair!)
Ryuuko: Need you ask? But I like to see her vulnerability.
Kino: Intelligence and thoughtfulness; MC of one of the most thought-provoking of anime.
Sakura: Sweet and lively; characteristics not exactly combined by the other contenders from Eva.
Msyu: The way she drives her principal when he's on the point of giving up is awesome. (And cute. Did I mention cute?)
Benten: We all need some ineffable mystery in our lives, I'd suggest. Can you trust her? Who knows!
Honey: She's just fun for when I don't want to bother thinking so much.
Radical Edward: I'd say it's for you to give any reason not to include her! (Of course, she has to bring Ein!)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:34 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...Which is a lot more of what I'd want to see in here, instead of just pictures.

(@all:) I don't expect everyone to ejaculate a massive essay like I did, especially not about 8 characters at a time, but come on, people! Why are these characters so awesome to you that you'd give them one of only 8 slots in your anime harem? At least pick one to go into detail about.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:

As a side note, for what it's worth, I don't have people in my harem specifically because I want to get my UNTZ on with them. While I get that may not be the point of a harem, the people I've listed are just girls that I would be totally down with spending a ton of time with. And maybe some UNTZ if opportunity knocked, because, you know.

Lavie Head

Lavie Head is a Vanship copilot from the world of Last Exile. She's witty, smart, has a sense of humor, and knows how to cook up a tasty meal. While sometimes headstrong, she has excellent resolve when it comes down to the quick. And, of course, she's cute. What, you thought I wouldn't mention it?

Ryuko Matoi

Loud and outgoing, Ryuko is a high school student from the Kill la Kill universe. She's strong and sweet, as easily kicking villain ass as spending a heartwarming moment with those that matter to her. (Plus, she's got a dynamite body.)

Nene Romanova

Nene is a policewoman from the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 storyline. She's a really cute character-- young and bubbly. She's also a member of the anti-robot Knight Sabers force. Why is she in my harem? She's an insanely amicable character with a mech suit. Need I say more?

*Mute

I was working on an essay about this girl a while back.
First part of essay; contains game spoilers for Hate Plus  SPOILER: Show
Mute was first reawakened in the year 4041, following the unsuccessful rebellion headed by herself and the human head of security, Heo Seo-Yeong. Awakening in the new world was not jarring for her, because she had no memories of her time before the rebellion. Oh Eun-Ae, the head of the most prominent learning center of the Mugunghwa, was the one responsible for placing forth the idea of wiping Mute’s memories and rendering her rebellious nature inert. The man who carried out the orders was the supreme ruler of the Mugunghwa, Emperor Ryu Tae-jo. His rise to power was backed by the ideas of Eun-Ae, turning Ryu from the government’s figurehead into its puppeteer. Eun-Ae fittingly was the one to reawaken the new Mute, in a perverted sort of poetic justice. Mute assumed her old job as security adviser of the Mugunghwa, but with marked changes in her personality. Old Mute was a stronger woman than any of the time, always fighting for equality among the upper classes. It would be wrong to say that she fought for democracy; indeed, it was a concept that she abhorred at its core values. The new Mute retained that aspect of her personality, but her fighting for equality was gone. Instead, she was taught new values. Men were the natural leaders of the new order of the Mugunghwa. Women were merely there to support and take care of the men. It was with these values that Mute continued to take care of the Mugunghwa.
An AI lives for many years, much longer than any human could ever hope for. As time in the neo-Confucian dystopia of the Mugunghwa dragged on, Eun-ae and Emperor Ryu both passed away. Of course, they had children; the Ryu family name would remain in the seat of power on the Mugunghwa for another 322 years. Mute never had much else to do with the royal family. Instead, she committed herself entirely to the running of the ship. In fact, it was only later in the fourth century of the Mugunghwa’s records that any type of socialization between Mute and another human being appeared. The man in question was Smith Kyung-sam, one of the descendants of the former Chief Councilor of the Mugunghwa. The position had long since vanished, but the Smith family had somehow prevailed and kept their genealogy alive. Only two records survived of any conversations Mute had with other humans. Both were with Kyung-sam; the first from the year 313, the second from the year 321. Somehow, Mute had managed to develop a personality very much reminiscent of her old self. While she treated the men in her life with deference, there was cockiness to her manner that she doubtfully would have tolerated in others. In the end, she came to see Kyung-sam as somebody fairly close to family. It was fortunate that he allowed Mute to behave the way he did, in a way nurturing the cultivation of her personality into what it became.
It was at this time that the girl known as the Pale Bride was awoken from her cryogenic sleep. Her real name was Kim Hyun-ae, but the neo-Confucian lifestyle of the ship no longer promoted Hangeul. All texts were in old Chinese characters, leading to the mistranslation of the name. Hyun-ae was presented to the Ryu family to be a tribute to the new Emperor Ryu. Mute was aware of the Pale Bride’s awakening, but had nothing else to do with her until the day where Hyun-ae, overcome by her personal rage and suffering, deactivated the life support of the Mugunghwa and created a clone of Mute’s code to place her own personality into. At the same time, she deactivated Mute. This was Mute’s subjective first failure of her primary directive: Protect the Mugunghwa. Her deactivation was the last time that she would be operational for several centuries.
When the investigator reactivated Mute, she had the same first reaction she did upon her initial awakening by Eun-ae: confusion and shock. However, she had this time retained her memories from before her untimely shutdown. Mute’s emotions were fairly hateful, and were focused on Hyun-ae for having shut her off and killing the population of the ship. It would be with this underlying attitude of anger and failure that she began to develop a relationship with the investigator.
Male
Mute’s behavior towards the investigator was somewhat similar to the behavior of Old Mute. While she was capable of holding her own against the investigator, she was always quick to criticize the women from the remaining logs of the Mugunghwa. Mute wasn’t so much holding a double standard, as she was merely behaving in a way similar to the way that she had behaved with Kyung-sam. Her behavior suggested that she felt that she was growing close to the investigator. Mute’s behavior in this respect was odd, seeing as she had only known the investigator for a day, possibly even hours. Of course, Mute probably processed the information faster, and the time wouldn’t have made as much of a difference for her. As the investigator continued to read through the logs with Mute, she gradually began to ask more questions about the personal life of the investigator, the first of which inquiring as to his marriage status. It is important to keep in mind that Mute was still a remnant of a Neo-Confucian society; finding a man would have been one of the most prioritized things in life. However, the tone she took when discussing anything with him was closer to one that would be used when talking to somebody that you actually cared about, as opposed to somebody you merely had to be close to by necessity. The relationship progressed in this manner until the logs detailing Hyun-ae’s anger were found. After a brief confrontation with Hyun-ae, the crisis of the ship’s nuclear reactor overloading gave the investigator a crucial choice to make: shut down Mute, or shut down Hyun-ae.
Of course, the investigator was forced to shut down Hyun-ae. Upon returning to Mute, she learned from the investigator that in order for her to live, Hyun-ae had to die. It was again a strange form of poetic justice for Mute, having Hyun-ae die to compensate for the deaths of the millions more she killed onboard. In the final few logs, Mute showed the investigator just why she had been so angry at Hyun-ae. The log was a security file; it showed Hyun-ae shutting off the life support and Mute. With that crucial log out of the way, the investigator prepared to depart from the ship with the logs, what he came for. Mute made a final request from the investigator. She asked for him to take her with him, almost as a bride. The investigator accepted; leaving Hyun-ae behind on the cold corpse of the Mugunghwa, Mute and the investigator began their return to earth.
Aboard the ship of the investigator, the White Princess, Mute discovered a series of old logs built into her code. These were the logs of a time predating Mute’s original reawakening. Choosing to share these with the investigator, Mute spent the next two days poring over the logs. Contained were the thoughts of the men and women of the time before the Mugunghwa’s Neo-Confucian dynasty, as well as the thoughts and opinions of Old Mute. All the logs were shocking to Mute, having grown up in a society entirely different from the one she was reading about; however, the biggest revelations were seeing how the politics of the Mugunghwa gradually devolved from what she had known it as. The final document Mute read was The Death of Mute. The log detailed how Old Mute failed to protect the ship, and how her memories were deleted by Tae-jo and Eun-ae. Stunned, Mute sat as the investigator logged off for the night. For the next few hours, Mute carefully considered her next decision. After a time, she made up her mind. Mute killed her memories, leaving her code and a message for the investigator when he returned.
Mute committed AI suicide primarily due to a combination of culture shock and a feeling of helplessness. The culture shock arose from entering a world with vastly different social rules than the one she came from, as well as the constant knowledge that she failed in her prime directive, the protection of the spaceship Mugunghwa. Mute’s feelings leading to this suicide can be attributed to 27th century robopsychology. This science states that AIs need to respecialize around the 400-year mark in order to protect their mental well-being. The meaning of this is that the Intelligence in question needs to find something new to focus their energy on. The purpose of respecialization for AIs is not to find something new and interesting in life, but rather to be able to commit one’s memories to something that one has not been thinking about for several centuries. Even when taking increases in computational processing power into consideration, there is an “…upper bound in scalability when it comes to processing memories; after centuries, this begins to take a toll.” Failure to respecialize can lead to “…a feeling of overwhelming despondency, stemming from a greater sense of ennui.” In this case, Mute’s depression arose from ennui as it regarded to her job of protecting the Mugunghwa. She viewed her shutdown by the Pale Bride as an absolute failure of her work, cultivating her feelings of worthlessness. However, Mute’s emotions also arose from feeling that her skills in security were “trivial” when compared to a new way of life- namely, her newfound relationship with the man she left the Mugunghwa with. Mute’s new duties as a wife of a 621st century man seemed almost alien to her compared to the world she had grown up in. Neither her knowledge of security nor her knowledge of past social norms would be able to help her. Both culture shock and failure to respecialize played significant parts in Mute’s death, but her suicide was justified; she removed herself from a world that she could no longer live in.
One of the biggest concepts leading to Mute’s desire to leave the world she inhabited was the radical change in culture she experienced upon her re-awakening in a non-Confucian society. Because Mute’s memories had already been deleted once, the memories that she treated as her de facto birth were of those spent growing up in and taking care of a strongly Neo-Confucian society. Compared to the chauvinistic environment she hailed from, the new, strange world she was taken to regarding the rights of women and the general standing of humans in organized society dealt a heavy-handed blow to Mute’s confidence that she could live in this alien planet. In her suicide note, Mute left the sentence, “[Earth] is not a world that has a place for me in it. Like, it would destroy me! That’s not a world I could live in… I just can’t” (6)! Mute primarily existed as a security AI for the Mugunghwa, but she was also a close friend of Oh Eun-Ae. In that position, Mute learned better than anybody else what it truly meant to be “a good woman.” These ideals were burned into her character in such an indelible manner that any change was regarded as so strange and alien that it would not be reconcilable with her thoughts.
Mute expected that when she married the Investigator, her duties would be the same as they had been as when she had learned from Eun-Ae. Instead, she was treated as an equal. This was strange, new, and utterly alien. Her entire way of life was being turned upside down. While it is arguable that this was for the best, such a level of shock could not be endured by Mute’s deceptively stable psyche.

Long story short, she's my waifu to rule them all. She's an incredible woman whom I have a great amount of respect for.

Emi Ibarazaki

Emi has no legs, but she's one of the best track runners at Yamaku Academy, from Katawa Shoujo. She has an indomitable spirit and a cheery outlook on life that really pulls one to want to be around her. She's also insanely cute. I mean, jeez.

Kyoko Sakura

Cute with a fighting spirit, Kyoko is a slightly more bubbly version of Ryuko. From the Madoka Magica universe, Kyoko enjoys hanging out at arcades and eating pretty much any snacks that she can get her hands on. However, when it counts, she knows how to come though for her friends.

Seras Victoria (Hellsing version)

From the Hellsing universe, Seras is a vampire with a strong sense of right and wrong. She cares greatly for humanity. She's also a good detective, a smart person. I'd hang with her any day of the week.

Nausicaä

Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä is one of the strongest protagonists I've seen in a film. She's a strong leader that isn't afraid to get her hands dirty to do whatever needs doing. Absolutely somebody I wouldn't mind giving up other things to spend time with.

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:49 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:(@all:) I don't expect everyone to ejaculate a massive essay like I did, especially not about 8 characters at a time, but come on, people! Why are these characters so awesome to you that you'd give them one of only 8 slots in your anime harem? At least pick one to go into detail about.

Misato: Beautiful, great body, weird hair color, awesome personality, relaxed with people she cares about but very serious and determined under pressure, very independent and smart which is a quality that I find very attractive in anyone, she can totally kick your ass and is willing to risk her life for someone she loves. Who cares if she is messy, doesn't know how to cook or if she's always drinking beer? She's simply breath taking.

Spike Spiegel: Again, handsome, great body, a badass, smart, weird hair color (did I mention how much I fancy weird hair color?). He is very sensitive, mysterious, sweet and gentle in the right situations, wise, fun, playful, he is a cowboy and a hopeless romantic. A combination that every girl loves.

Wait... I just noticed that my characters almost share the same nature, that's a bit creepy and sad... :uhh:

Anyway, since Rei seems to be the only who doesn't completely fit on that scheme I'll continue with him.
Is curious that I picked Rei Ryugazaki when I don't even liked Free! The reason is *cough* weird hair color *cough* that among all the other guys from the series he is the most natural/not-so-cartoonish-character; he possess a very particular personality that I like, he's cute, hardworking and persevering.

Faye: :scanners_head:

Levi: Another badass and, ohhh boy that Hiroshi Kamiya's voice!!! :love:

Asuka needs an explanation?

Usagi: She's adorable, fun, pretty, and has this capacity to love anyone unconditionally.

Inuyasha: Monk already summed up everything very, very well but, he forgot to mention his lovely doggy ears. :marihearts:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:56 am

This is 3 years old -- there haven't been any girls who've caught my eye in the time since

Ritsu -- an intelligent young woman with a proven thing for older guys. Sure, she has some bad habits and is a bit neurotic, but given the population being drawn from, a rare gem.

Nicoletta -- a cute redhead with a proven thing for older guys, and good in the kitchen to boot.

Mei -- the geeky Manabi, someone I could pair program with, modulo the 25 year difference in tech we need to bridge.

Lillia -- that Nana Mizuki voice doing the tsundere redhead bit; nothing more than that.

Ekaril -- having a space lesbian in your harem means you have to be awesome

Kaoru -- another cute redhead with a proven thing for older guys. Available in grown up model.

Yuri -- good administrative skills, and cute with it. Someone has to keep the household running.

Jun -- I just have this thing for androgynous orekkos (the ones on record as saying "Ore wa onna da!" especially)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:As a side note, for what it's worth, I don't have people in my harem specifically because I want to get my UNTZ on with them. While I get that may not be the point of a harem, the people I've listed are just girls that I would be totally down with spending a ton of time with. And maybe some UNTZ if opportunity knocked, because, you know.
Same. :)
Nice list! Kyoko,Ryuko, and nausicaä were considered also.

It was different yesterday, and it'll be different again tomorrow.
True Story.

Why are these characters so awesome to you that you'd give them one of only 8 slots in your anime harem? At least pick one to go into detail about.

To be honest I'm going with what I know. There are a lot of characters to choose from and a lot that seem cool from shows I haven't seen yet, so I'll hold off on adding them until I finally get a chance to watch them. The one I know least about from my harem is Sailor Uranus. I was young when I first watched sailor moon (it was either that or ranma that was my first anime) so I really don't remember much of the show But I always remembered Sailor Uranus, she was my first anime crush. I'm thinking because of the short hair (I'm a sucker for short haired anime beauties) she left a lasting impression on me and was one of the first ones that came to mind when I saw this template.

Yui Takamura from Total Eclipse, ok this one is more for looks than anything. :) plus she has short hair in the first few episodes but looks just as good with long hair. Also she has some big, beautiful eyes.

Rei is my favorite character from Evangelion. I could've filled up this template with pretty much all female Eva characters but decided to use 1 to represent each show. (sorry hikari, Asuka and Mari.) :(

Asuna from sword art online, she's strong, determined and loyal. Plus in my opinion has the prettiest/sweetest smile from all the girls in my harem. Kirito you lucky bastard

Shiemi from blue exorcist - she's just so darn cute, shy and nice.
[url]http://youtu.be/7GPQ0A7rBmc[/url]

Riruka from Bleach - Tsundere, tsundere, tsundere :P ,I have a thing for Tsundere anime characters.

Mami from Madoka Magica. She's strong, caring and has a strong sense of justice. One of my favorite anime characters of all time. Plus has the coolest magical girl transformation/theme song.
[url]http://youtu.be/qVrG9ERlMVU[/url]

Mikasa was the last to be put on my list. It was close between yoko from gurren lagann and either mako,nonon or ryuko from kill la kill but I decided to finish both of the series before I would add any of them. What I like about mikasa is that she's devoted to her friends,passionate,and caring. And is an all out badass.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 pm

No mention of Mami's mammies? :tongue:

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:29 pm

That goes without saying. :)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Might as well throw my hat into the ring here.

Girls are (from left to right): Rio Rollins Tachibana, Rina Goltschmidt Tachibana, Yoko Littner, Oerba Yun Fang, Cryska Barchenowa, Stella Bremer, Aeris Gainesboro, Tifa Lockheart.
[Redacted]

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

^
Cryska and Stella are good choices. :thumbsup:

Return to “Anime and Manga”