Should I buy the series on VHS for $120?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Aoren
Embryo

Should I buy the series on VHS for $120?

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:03 am

[Topic title expanded for clarification. - Monk]

I always wanted to be an evangelion collector, the thing is I'm a poor fag. Yesterday I found a website with a whole complete collection of the series in VHS for 120 dollars on apparent excellent condition (except director's cut). Do you guys think it's a good idea to start my collection with that?
Whenever I pass these things I regret it when I don't see them in a future research, every year is a year lost as these things become more difficult to find.
I think I have a problem.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:48 pm

since i prefer the non-director's cut version anyway, yes, buy that. :shinjismile:

Edit - but yeah, as others have pointed out that price is crazy.
Last edited by NemZ on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Check the shipping cost first.

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 pm

As cool as getting a VHS set sounds, that's a $120 box that will collect dust...

So long as you pace yourself in your collection dreams, it can't be that bad. Just don't go crazy after that purchase thinking you need to get everything Eva :p
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Should I?

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 pm

View Original PostAoren wrote:I always wanted to be an evangelion collector, the thing is I'm a poor fag. Yesterday I found a website with a whole complete collection of the series in VHS for 120 dollars on apparent excellent condition (except director's cut). Do you guys think it's a good idea to start my collection with that?

Find a DVD platinum collection. That's the better way to go, IMO.

TitaniumViper
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TitaniumViper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 pm

$120 dollars is a bit much for VHS tapes. I got all mine (Although used, but in good condition) for $15.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I got the Perfect Collection and the End of Evangelion DVD for $70 on eBay. Then I picked up the 21-23 DC DVD on eBay for $8.

So, no, spending $120 on a VHS set is not a good way to start your collection. If I were you, I'd get on eBay and try and get it all, either at once or in pieces. It'll be much cheaper and better that way
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 pm

The only way an Evangelion collection on VHS would be worth anything around $100 would be if every tape was factory sealed mint.

If it's a complete set, and it's in excellent shape, I would offer no higher than $50. And even that is pretty generous.

VHS tapes are worth diddly dick. They're almost as worthless as cassette tapes.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Do you have a VHS to DVD/MP3 converter? If they haven't been taken care of then they could fall apart in the VCR.

Aoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello! Thanks for all your replies.

This is how they look like:

SPOILER: Show

View Original PostNemZ wrote:since i prefer the non-director's cut version anyway, yes, buy that.

I thought I was the only one lol
Still, I can buy the director's cut on eBay when it shows up in his VHS form in a future.

View Original PostBaz wrote:Check the shipping cost first.

Free shipping.
That's a thing... because if I'd bought every tape one by one the shipping would kill me.

View Original PostTitaniumViper wrote:$120 dollars is a bit much for VHS tapes. I got all mine (Although used, but in good condition) for $15.

Wow. Thats a difference.
But they are around 5 dollars each on eBay, and the shipping for me is 11 dollars each. Plus, I do not trust the shipping when it comes to fragile things.

View Original PostThanatosII wrote:As cool as getting a VHS set sounds, that's a $120 box that will collect dust...

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:I got the Perfect Collection and the End of Evangelion DVD for $70 on eBay. Then I picked up the 21-23 DC DVD on eBay for $8.

About the topic "DVDs vs VHS" (there is a lot to quote, I just can't quote every post, sorry in advance) I don't really find myself attracted by any DVD collection.

I might afford a Platinum Edition or the Perfect Collection in a future, the release date is 2005 I think (I don't know if they are still being printed) but I don't know if I would find all the VHS tapes in that same future.

Right now I have barely any Eva merchandise, when I said I wanted to be a collector in a future I meant to have as possible much Eva as exists. You know, decorate a cabinet with lots of Eva stuff - like Helga Pataki's closet lmao.

I'm even looking for a job to put my hands in the EoE release box as I'm just a student right now.

Thanks you for all your words guys.
You really help me to think straight.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

I’ve found Eva VHS Tapes at second-hand thrift stores for 99¢ a piece. Any pre-opened VHS tape probably isn’t worth too much more than that. $5 per tape tops is what I’d spend on opened dated delicate technological materials.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm

To give you some more perspective - Surugaya-ya has used laserdiscs and VHS starting at 55¥ each. Surprisingly or not, several LDS are actually the lowest.

I see from the pic that these are "English Language Version". Originally those were $25 each vs. $30 each for the dub.

Like everyone else, my thoughts on this is that $120 even for a complete set is too high. My experience with the VHS is that people are usually trying to unload them, so they normally will sell them real cheap. Since you've expressed a preference for the series on VHS I will respect your decision.

View Original PostAoren wrote:Right now I have barely any Eva merchandise, when I said I wanted to be a collector in a future I meant to have as possible much Eva as exists. You know, decorate a cabinet with lots of Eva stuff - like Helga Pataki's closet lmao.

Everyone starts at 0, even those of us with sizable collections (this is Tolwyn's). At this point I think you need to give some more thought as to what you are trying to accomplish here for the long term. As you probably know, Eva has since it came out, released tons and tons of merchandise. If you end up earning a sizable income or have some other means of allowing you to live well and be able to go out and buy as much as you can, that would be awesome. Most people though, stay within their means or are very focused. I recommend being focused since this will allow you to build a very specialized collection and get minimally distracted by what else is out there.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Aoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Ok guys. I bought it.

I spoke with the seller and used all the words you gave me to haggle. I said it's obsolete technology, that it's the value of the collection on DVD, and so on.
I asked several things that I knew he was going to reply no. Like, if he included the director's cut and stuff.
Then I told him I could not pay that much for them if they did not have all those things.

I ended up buying them for 70 dollars, free shipping.

Cellophane.

All of them are like that, from first to the last one.

Most of them include these cards

I still don't know if was worth it.
I'm happy and all but I don't know anything about VHS.
They have the original cellophane, the thing is that in a few of them the cellophane got attached to the box. How bad is that?
Does that makes them completely utterly worthless?

I have this fear that if I cut the cellophane the colors from the box will keep attached to the cellophane.

@AR-99: Omg. I loved that collection. I would love to specialize in media, like laserdiscs and release boxs, soundtracks, and so on.

Thanks for the encouragement

Plus: If anyone could give me any advice on how to preserve them so they can last another 20 years please let me know.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:01 pm

View Original PostAoren wrote:I still don't know if was worth it.
I'm happy and all but I don't know anything about VHS.

:asuka_stare: Your focus on getting this set is not syncing up with this admission. :headscratch:

View Original PostAoren wrote:They have the original cellophane, the thing is that in a few of them the cellophane got attached to the box. How bad is that?
Does that makes them completely utterly worthless?

I have this fear that if I cut the cellophane the colors from the box will keep attached to the cellophane.

As long as the tapes are fine and didn't also get cooked in whatever heat melted the plastic to the boxes there would still be some value but could it drop though? It sounds like a question for your future buyer.

View Original PostAoren wrote:@AR-99: Omg. I loved that collection. I would love to specialize in media, like laserdiscs and release boxs, soundtracks, and so on.

Updates are posted to his FB page first.

Our resident video expert is svenge. His site is a very good reference for all Eva video media.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Aoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:53 pm

That was really helpful. Thanks for enlighten me! I will be alert to the updates of these collections.
I'm already building a cabinet for these VHS. I'm really excited.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:27 pm

That's Awesome. Congratulations, a starts a start. And even better that you were able to get them for less than the original offer. :).
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Glad you haggled the price down. If you want the DVD versions there are some cheap options on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Perfect-Collection/dp/B0000639E0/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1413489942&sr=1-6&keywords=evangelion

Not the platinums or thinpacks, but still the complete collection.

ebay likewise has some really good deals, including the platinum set for $20:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/evangelion-dvd
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 pm

View Original PostAoren wrote:That was really helpful. Thanks for enlighten me! I will be alert to the updates of these collections.
I'm already building a cabinet for these VHS. I'm really excited.

At the very least, it's a pretty cool start for your collection. Where do you want to go from here?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Are these official tapes or taped-off-TV? If it's the latter, then are these from Japan or America?

Aoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aoren » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:22 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:That's Awesome. Congratulations, a starts a start. And even better that you were able to get them for less than the original offer. :).

Thank you KL, this will only grow from now on ^_^
Even if they weren't cheap I can't believe how good they look

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Glad you haggled the price down. If you want the DVD versions there are some cheap options on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Perfect-Collection/dp/B0000639E0/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1413489942&sr=1-6&keywords=evangelion

Not the platinums or thinpacks, but still the complete collection.

ebay likewise has some really good deals, including the platinum set for $20:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/evangelion-dvd

I'll save that for later, thanks!

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:At the very least, it's a pretty cool start for your collection. Where do you want to go from here?

I feel more attracted to media of any kind, I don't have any soundtrack and I'd love to put my hands in the Evangelion Symphony but its really hard to find. The storyboards maybe? That would be awesome too.
My main goal is the EoE box set.
I need a job lol.

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Are these official tapes or taped-off-TV? If it's the latter, then are these from Japan or America?

Official (I think) from America, pic related:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”