What is the inspiration/reasoning behind the Angel's design?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 09, 2007 4:20 am

I'd assume the blending in part serves either the purpose of hiding from a predator or hiding in wait of prey, in the case of Adam's offspring, neither is of concern. However, environmental factors such as living in a volcano (skin too hard for prog knife to pierce) or underwater (has fins and tail) do seem to be some quick-on-the-fly adaptive process (like felineki mentioned). Presumably, the eggs/embryos of Adam's offspring were scattered all over the place during the explosion of second impact, so it was a crapshoot of who lands where.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 09, 2007 6:50 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:cant get more exotic then being a halo (16th angel) huh?

Armisael always reminded me of the angels (ophanim or galgallim) sometimes described as "wheels of fire".

felineki wrote:See Misato's comment about the Angels being humans that abandoned human form in EoE and Gendou's line about the mind forming the body in 26 (the line that's accompanied by that really nifty animation of Shinji morphing into a bunch of different things).

I wonder how significant it is that Shinji's 'human form' turns into a double helix, then an egg that hatches, before we get a bunch of transformations, including a "traditional" angel and a burning cross.

Ornette wrote:However, environmental factors such as living in a volcano (skin too hard for prog knife to pierce) or underwater (has fins and tail) do seem to be some quick-on-the-fly adaptive process (like felineki mentioned).

As a matter of statistics, most of them would have landed in the ocean, but Gaghiel is the only "aquatic" one. (Sachiel has the gills on his legs, but he's primarily terrestrial.)

Sachiel_13 wrote:Matariel has giant, fake eyes all over it

The eye on the bottom seems to be real.

and its a giant 4 legged spider

A stylization, at best.

Shamshel looks like a giant (you know), who's not gonna see that?

"I ain't never see a (you know) that looked like that."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 09, 2007 7:35 am

Reichu wrote:
"I ain't never see a (you know) that looked like that."
Hehe, or:

"You are one, UGLY mother..."

"RRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAWWWRRRRR!"

:)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 10:53 pm

well, i bet for an Angel, the (you know)s have to be slightly different
take a dog for example
i think you can think of that on your own, im not getting into details

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 pm

take a dog for example

lol, knots

In my own fantasy-world, physical sex disappears when the Angels transmogrify (they go asexual), but it's present in their natural humanoid states. I've gone so far as to design an oRgAn for the boys. Image

Hey. You started it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 11:35 pm

i dont think theres any evidence to prove theyre asexual
but theres nothing to prove what gender they are either, unless you went by their names, but that doesnt tell much

maybe theyre all male and they just want to hook up with Lilith (being the only female), but she's with Adam, so they go after him, to take him out, and get the girl in the end

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:Lilith (being the only female), but she's with Adam

I don't follow this

And just so I'm clear, yes, I know all about the apocrypha about the judaic Lilith being Adam's first wife and all. But this is NGE we're talking about, when was Lilith (a seed of life) ever "with" Adam (another seed of life)?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

before all of humanity was created

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:i dont think theres any evidence to prove theyre asexual but theres nothing to prove what gender they are either

:wonders if Sachiel_13 'got' her last post:

maybe theyre all male and they just want to hook up with Lilith (being the only female)

The Evas would be an obvious source of poonie to hit.

Ornette wrote:when was Lilith (a seed of life) ever "with" Adam (another seed of life)?

They had a lesbian affair on the Homeworld prior to their Seed careers, remember?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 11:47 pm

not following....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu May 10, 2007 12:00 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:before all of humanity was created

If by humanity you mean homosapiens, then I guess somewhere in the course of these events:
1) Adam arrives on Earth in the white moon several billions of years ago, as planned.
2) Lilith's black moon goes off course and crashes onto Earth later (creating Earth's satellite)
3) Since 2 seeds of life cannot exist on the same planet, one of them needed to be put out of comission, so Adam's Spear somehow manages to stab Adam in the back and Adam gets put in suspended animation.
4) billions of years pass and thanks to Lilith bleeding LCL, life forms on the planet
5) millions of years pass and evolution creates homo sapiens

at which point before (5) did Adam "get with" Lilith (aside from before they left where ever they left from in order to populate the universe/galaxy)?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 am

wow, i didnt not even touch that topic
so im......clueless right now

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 10, 2007 12:05 am

BACK ON TOPIC bitches
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 10, 2007 12:11 am

ok........um..........
so if they used their minds to form their bodies then.....they must've had some very strange minds because they decided to be;
-a big lump, with ribbons for arms
-a parasite
-a virus
and a whole bunch of other stuff

if they all were copies of Zaruel, then at least 1 of them wouldve gotten to its destination

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu May 10, 2007 12:32 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:ok........um..........
so if they used their minds to form their bodies then.....they must've had some very strange minds because they decided to be;
-a big lump, with ribbons for arms
-a parasite
-a virus

Strange...Maybe. But they worked.

Regardless of how funky they looked, given what the angels were trying to accomplish, the forms they took were more effecient than anything else. Admittedly their efforts ultimately ended in failure, but they did give NERV a run for their money using them.

Besides, the whole bipedal thing didn't seem to work too well for Sachiel (not you, the other one :) ). Not to mention the EVA's already had dib's on that look.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 10, 2007 7:44 am

TriLink12 wrote:Strange...Maybe. But they worked.

Regardless of how funky they looked, given what the angels were trying to accomplish, the forms they took were more effecient than anything else.

lol, not Matariel, it just needed the luck of a mass power outage

Besides, the whole bipedal thing didn't seem to work too well for Sachiel (not you, the other one :) ). Not to mention the EVA's already had dib's on that look.

it was Sachiels way longer then it was for any1 else (Except for Adam and Lilith)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 3:13 pm

It does make you wonder though why the Angels couldn't take the form of something that could creep by Nerv sensors completely unnoticed... Like:

"Wonder Angel Powers... ACTIVATE! Form of.... SMOKE!"

Hell, you'd think a shadow would be pretty hard to kill, and pretty easy for it to get past security... Guess that'll teach Leliel for swallowing Yui - thou shall not eat angry Eva-bitches.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It does make you wonder though why the Angels couldn't take the form of something that could creep by Nerv sensors completely unnoticed...

Like Ireul?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Ornette wrote:
Like Ireul?
That worked until it started messing with the test Evas. Then Nerv was like "Lolwtf? That's not s'posta happen. OMG ANGEL!" Apparantly the angels aren't the smartest bunch... I'm not surprised Kaworu/Adam decided to say "To hell with these dumb kids... they couldn't even break into Nerv properly, why do I care about them?"

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat May 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It does make you wonder though why the Angels couldn't take the form of something that could creep by Nerv sensors completely unnoticed...

Maybe The Angels are like the T-1000, and can only take the shape of something with equal mass and size. Ergo, that would have to be one big ass cloud of smoke.

Just a thought.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”