From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 am

Time for some more shitty fanfic ideas!

Heavy Machinery/The Killdozer  SPOILER: Show
An utterly ridiculous fic which is equal parts Eva, Brave and Excel Saga (in terms of tone, not talking a crossover here). The Evas are all out of commission due to the results of a battle and the Angels have just fucked off. Asuka, driven mad with boredom by the lack of combat, steals a bulldozer and converts it into an unstoppable transforming death machine, going on a rampage through the city. It's up to Shinji, Rei, Touji, Kensuke and Hikari to stop her with a cement mixer, steamroller, excavator, mobile crane and rockwheel trencher (also converted into transforming mecha things). Extra hilarity ensues when Pen-Pen arrives with a massive transforming bucketwheel mega-excavator.

What can I say, construction vehicles are cool.

Dungeons and Angels  SPOILER: Show
The idea that was discussed very early on in the thread- Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Touji and Kensuke (and maybe Kaworu for extra kek) play Dungeons and Dragons, with either Hikari, Misato or GENDO as the DM. The lulz flow freely.

(Seriously NemZ. I can't believe we never did this. Hit me up on Skype and let's do this thing!)

Fic-Ception  SPOILER: Show
An MSTing of an actual, awful Eva fic (maybe Hellstorm Evangelion, or perhaps one of Kadmon's more 'orrible works)...done in character by the Eva cast.

Bizarrovangelion  SPOILER: Show
Evangelion, but completely and utterly wrong. Basically a mockery of shitty "fix fics" where everyone is exactly the opposite of how they are in the series, but in this case taken too far. So for example, Shinji is a lecherous manwhore, Rei is an infuriatingly happy genki girl, Asuka is a simpering, soppy, useless moeblob lusting after Shinji, Misato is a strict and puritanical nun, and Pen-Pen is a flamingo.

Pustules Ahoy!  SPOILER: Show
Poor Shinji suffers from the blight upon humanity that is acne. At least Hikari seems to be sympathetic...
(also excuse for Hikari/Shinji romance because there isn't nearly enough of it...)
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:05 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:(Seriously NemZ. I can't believe we never did this. Hit me up on Skype and let's do this thing!)

It's been done before, and usually not particularly well.

First off... Gendo would be the shittiest DM ever. No effort at description, horribly planned encounters, doesn't care about the rules and will fuck you up in a heartbeat if you question him on anything. And besides, even if this idea somehow was put forwaard he'd just make Fuyutsuki do it and he'd be shitty as well in a bored, totally unengaged and zero preperation sort of way.

More common is for Misato to do this as some sort of teambuilding exercise, but really if she was the DM the game would never get out of the damn tavern. If it somehow did she'd also not give a damn about the rules and make up horribly stupid encounters that don't make any sense at all just to fuck with the kids.

Kaji... yeah, I can't see that happening. Same for Ritsuko.

Now Hyuga as DM is a maybe. Random comment when the kids are acting up in training leads to him being stuck with the job, but he seems like the sort of guy who might actually have some experience behind a screen. Plus that makes Misato a player, and that's way more fun... opens up the door to things like her pulling rank when she catches a nasty crit or him trying to introduce thinly veiled self-inserts to seduce her character in very sad fashion.
Last edited by NemZ on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I like the idea of the new movies being a fictionalized account of what happened in NGE/EoE, with obvious liberties taken regarding what actually happened. A fic idea I've played with involves the kids watching all of them and commenting on how bizarre things had gotten when the third rolled around. Lots of fun to be had with that.

Commenting on fanfics is fun, too. I had an idea where Shinji stumbled across a copy of Taboo Parallel, and was so incensed that he felt the need to write his own ending to it. Asuka finds both and objects -- strongly -- to his proposed ending, since it would land him in jail for the rest of his life, which of course does her no good. Hence a new ending where the girls help Shinji get rid of the evidence, leading to a good end for all of them.

On the flip side, Asuka finds a copy of Power Plays (many years after the end of EoE), and secretly loves it. But how the devil does she get Shinji to play along when she wants to make it a reality?

So much potential.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Commenting on fanfics is fun, too. I had an idea where Shinji stumbled across a copy of Taboo Parallel, and was so incensed that he felt the need to write his own ending to it. Asuka finds both and objects -- strongly -- to his proposed ending, since it would land him in jail for the rest of his life, which of course does her no good. Hence a new ending where the girls help Shinji get rid of the evidence, leading to a good end for all of them.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, having Asuka track down the author and making it a RL Mana who made that whole thing up as a self-insert schlick-fic could be amusing.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:If that's the one I'm thinking of, having Asuka track down the author and making it a RL Mana who made that whole thing up as a self-insert schlick-fic could be amusing.

Oh dear. That could wind up going poorly for Mana.

Another thought: Asuka and Shinji post their ending in the usual places, and Mana reads it and is both upset an alarmed. Upset because she never imagined they'd read it, and alarmed because the ending in question involves an awful lot of murder. So she tracks them down to ask that they please not murder her or anything, and hilarity ensues.

Oh! And combining both ideas, Asuka rails at her for a bit, then whips out PP and points to it as an example of smut done right. And poor Many yelps "I know that! I wrote both of them!" And Asuka stares at the fic, says "son of a bitch" or something similar, and don't know what the hell to do.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:52 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's been done before, and usually not particularly well.

*snip*

Oh...

A shame. I remember the lulz we had early on in the thread with the idea; I reckon we could potentially get something wonderful out of the concept if we did it right.

The Hyuga idea is fantastic, I have to admit. I reckon Hikari could be a good DM, being the "only sane man" out of all the kids.

With Gendo, I was thinking a slightly OOC approach to him that has him be less of a cold-hearted bastard and more of a dick/"Troll DM". OOC, done right, can be a wonderful thing.

I don't know. It just seemed funny.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:With Gendo, I was thinking a slightly OOC approach to him that has him be less of a cold-hearted bastard and more of a dick/"Troll DM". OOC, done right, can be a wonderful thing.

Pretty sure this happens in Nobody Dies at some point. Gendo is stuck babysitting the pilots and that's what he comes up with to keep them busy.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:18 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I like the idea of the new movies being a fictionalized account of what happened in NGE/EoE, with obvious liberties taken regarding what actually happened. A fic idea I've played with involves the kids watching all of them and commenting on how bizarre things had gotten when the third rolled around. Lots of fun to be had with that.

Did you already read what H-MangaEnthusiast's wrote?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Various people wrote:In-universe character writing a self-insert

You know, I'm actually considering ending my ongoing Kensuke/Mayumi smut fic with the revelation that it was a self-insert written by Mayumi. Who is writing about things the two of them actually did in high school. And who, at the time of the revelation, is currently waiting for Kensuke to return home after submitting their joint dissertation, the two of them being only a few weeks away from finishing university and still a couple after ten years.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThanatosII » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Fanfic idea:

Write the world of Evangelion from the perspective of the public's viewpoint. Locations could remain static in Tokyo 3, or vary to other locations such as the U.S. or Germany.
Some implications to consider:
NERV is a mega money vacuum. Not only is it getting cash from Japan, but from other countries and even Congress. This paints NERV in a negative light. When much of the world needed rebuilding and resources during those 15 years, somehow the funds ended up going to Japan. It wasn't completely public knowledge, but it could be said some conspiracy theorists were aware of this, however, it became more obvious to the public that a significant portion of rebuilding from the disaster went to Japan while many other areas saw little progress being made over the years. Fast forward to 2015 before the Angel attack and there are leaked rumors that only rich kids were getting proper education (Shinji's school). Through SEELE lobbying, various governments across the globe have refused to fund public schooling but instead give all funding to NERV/Tokyo 3.
Now consider the U.S. where there was a NERV branch. It probably was immensely unpopular among the masses considering how it was merely a research facility that did nothing but research and didn't really serve much of a purpose.
Then after the first Angel attack, various wide spread propaganda was conceived in order to convince the public that the fate of humanity rested upon continued funding of NERV. Such fear worked for awhile, but after it became apparent that all the Angel attacks targeted Japan, the public became increasingly unstable and new movements formed with slogans along the lines of, "It's their problem! We have ours!" Riots break out and are determined to get politicians out of office that support NERV funding.

...the possibilities are endless really. Just take Toji's frustration about his sister's injury and multiply it by a 100.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

xyz346
Adam

Postby xyz346 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 am

My idea for a fanfic:
I don't know if everyone is familiar with Fanfiction Academy fanfics? I feel that it would be interesting to write one for the Q-universe.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

...oookay, I just finished watching Mayumi's scenario in 2nd Impression for the second consecutive time.

:asuka_sad:

MAH FEELS. ALL OF MAH FEELS.

Seriously, I'm on the verge of crying over here, it was so touching. And that theme song, my god...

An idea. At the end of the scenario, Mayumi's dad pulls strings at the UN to get her transferred out and away from Tokyo-3. What if Gendo pulls strings at SEELE to prevent that, partly to keep Shinji leashed and party because she's a curious anomaly, having coexisted with an Angel without being gene-modded like Rei? That latter part could certainly be an interesting topic of research, maybe coming up with something to aid the execution of Instrumentality with.

To that end, Gendo decides to see whether she can coexist with Bardiel too. This could very well end up as Mayumi's equivalent of the Arael vs Asuka encounter - if my theory after watching the VN is right, she might have witnessed her mom being stabbed to death and unlike Shinji, she didn't repress the memory. If I understood her monologue (watched the scene unsubtitled), she also has trust issues and a fear of being betrayed by others. Thus, any mindrape attempt has plenty of ammunition.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:48 am

Well, Mayumi was designed basically as a female version of Shinji (with glasses), so that her past and issues are similar to Shinji is to be expected.
Except the living with a piece of Angel part. Ironically, it's Asuka who ended with a similar fate, in NTE, although you could also say that Shinji cohabited with an Angel too, for 14 years, except that he didn't ended with a piece of Angel inside him, but with him inside the Angel! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:09 am

She's more than just a female Shinji.

Did Shinji ever passionately beg someone to kill him? Because she does - and when he doesn't comply, she tries to off herself via jumping off a rooftop. It's not even self-sacrifice or anything; she seems to be scared that the Angel will corrupt her from the inside out or something. I couldn't understand that part very well.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 pm

^
He would have done it... had someone not activated the damn Dummy Plug! Stupid Gendo!
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm

What I'm planning is that her former symbiosis gives Mayumi a special connection with both Evas and Angels. In this case, she reaches out to Unit 03 and uses its power to lash out at Bardiel. It's not enough to kill the Angel but it does become dormant.

From what I've picked up over the years, it seems that SEELE cannot start Instrumentality safely until all the Angels are dead - and with Bardiel in Gendo's possession, he can use it to buy as much time as he wants by deliberately not killing it. Of course, Misato and the others are told that the Angel basically starved to death because, being microbial, it didn't have an S2 engine and couldn't grow one fast enough.

Key point is that Mayumi is unable to consciously control Bardiel. Bardiel is controlled by Unit 03 and Mayumi is a bit squeamish about opening her mind up to something else (which she makes quite clear in the visual novel). Unit 03 does grow an extra pair of arms like in Rebuild when it goes berserk against Zeruel (or to be more exact, two-on-one tagteams Zeruel with a berserk Unit 01) and gains an S2 engine from the same (alongside Unit 01, the two Evas sharing lunch like good friends :lol: ). The infection also causes the Eva to be mistaken for an Angel by Arael, who ignores Mayumi and beelines at Asuka instead. Needless to say, the redhead does NOT appreciate the attention and makes it quite clear afterwards.

Unit 03 does not survive the war, going down against the Harpies who prioritize it due to Bardiel - though Asuka takes advantage of the distraction to return the favor before going down as well.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 am

Just something that hit me when replying to Reichu elsewhere:

"Adam, King of Sea Horses"
In this documentary, we follow the mighty Adam as s/he rears hir many children in the most adorable way possible. We meet the Rees and Kaweres, blue- and white-haired pretty little things with red eyes that will adhere to Adam's back in a mysterious process called "glomping", and discover how they grow up under the ideal circumstances provided by Adam's pouch.
Also, we get glimpses of Adam's significant other Lilith as s/he travels the world, searching for the mythical Core of Eva and spending time on the most luxurious beaches of earth.
Finally, we follow one each of the Rees and Kaweres leaving their cuddlehole, evade the repeated assaults of the dangerous Asuk'A and NightMari, and discover a mutual love for the Shin-Gee, a rare and lovely creature in dire need of affective love.

All written in the style of a nature documentary.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:42 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:"Adam, King of Sea Horses"
A pity that that cognomen has already been used in the fandom and acquired a certain notorious reputation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Do you guys think it's in-character for Rei to help Shinji make the decision of rejecting Instrumentality by summoning the soul of someone he loved and thus, the living example that he's capable of opening up to and connecting with others? Or should she be impartial in the matter?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 pm

I would buy it. I doubt she would be impartial in the matter, as the matter concerns Shinji. While she would want him to make his own choice, and help him carry out that choice...I could see her providing him help MAKING the choice if he asked for it or needed it.

Or at leat, Rei II probably would.

...I think that's either/or, depending on how you present it.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Fanfiction”