FML General Thread [6]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:35 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I'd like to move the stuff, but I'm worried that relocating it will screw up with the file registries and such. I tried moving Alice: Madness Returns to my D-drive (I hadn't intended to install it to the C-drive, the installation process never gave me any choice in the matter, fuckin' EA I tells yer) and lost all my progress.

You could try moving the install directory to D: and then linking it back to a junction point with the same name where it was on C: using linkd.exe (from the resource kit) or junction.exe (from sysinternals); in theory it shouldn't notice, but I admit I've never tried it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Everybody finds love... in the end. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You could try moving the install directory to D: and then linking it back to a junction point with the same name where it was on C: using linkd.exe (from the resource kit) or junction.exe (from sysinternals); in theory it shouldn't notice, but I admit I've never tried it.
I did something like this on my old Windows system when I switched to an SSD. I used reparse points to make the Documents/Pictures/etc directories, along with AppData and others to point to the larger, spinning drive, and kept all of my software on the smaller SSD. I kept that same system when I switched off to Debian, as well.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

MAGI_01
Lilin
Lilin

Postby MAGI_01 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:20 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The whole NSA business is massively overblown. They were only ever looking at metadata to begin with, and needed a damn good reason to go any farther than that (yes, I know they don't need warrants to do it, but policy is a thing, believe me). They don't care about you, man. They just don't.

Exactly. Hence Malware and the like being more serious.

This actually came up at a great time since I am going to be doing an overhaul of my system pretty soon and will be moving Windows to a SSD. I'll keep notes, but yes you could try moving the install directory. I know I have done that on my laptop since it's main drive is partitioned to look like two separate drives (According to windows that is) It's a pretty simple task, but if you need help I'm sure there as plenty of us on here that can walk you through the process.
Last edited by MAGI_01 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:29 pm

Just when I think I'm done with a class for a while, they come up with some more stuff for me to do.

Also, still sick but slowly getting better.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:44 pm

That's a lot of anime to be storing on your computer, Squigs. Why not burn some BDs and free up some space?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Why not burn some BDs and free up some space?

I've got nearly as much; but mine goes the other way, because I rip my DVDs and BDs to copy onto my phone or tablet for viewing, or to view on my computer for immediate reference - so the computer copy is actually much more useful to me than the disk copy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:20 pm

I walked into the kitchen, and my heart quickened at the sight of, what appeared to be, an irresistible intruder.

Turns out, it was just a mirror.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

delispin25
Banned

Postby delispin25 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:I walked into the kitchen, and my heart quickened at the sight of, what appeared to be, an irresistible intruder.

Turns out, it was just a mirror.

I don't know if that was supposed to be funny, but I laughed really hard.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've got nearly as much; but mine goes the other way, because I rip my DVDs and BDs to copy onto my phone or tablet for viewing, or to view on my computer for immediate reference - so the computer copy is actually much more useful to me than the disk copy.

I guess I can see the benefit to that, having everything around for instant viewing. It just gets mighty expensive to keep buying drives for all that data.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Worked on my photoshop homeowork for three hours, computer crapped out on me and died, and the file was lost, and all the work I did was for nothing.

good news? I had it backed up on a flash and its not due for two more weeks.

Bad news? I basically wasted a whole days work, and have a splitting migrane out of frustration.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 pm

http://blog.koreaboo.com/post/98851137128/breaking-jessica-releases-first-official-statement

Well, this only reinforced my negative perception towards k-pop. So much for the master race.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36 pm

(Nevermind)
Last edited by Bomby von Bombsville on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:07 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I guess I can see the benefit to that, having everything around for instant viewing. It just gets mighty expensive to keep buying drives for all that data.

The disk drives were the cheapest basic part of my computer, as it happens; and a great deal cheaper than the DVDs and BDs.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I guess I can see the benefit to that, having everything around for instant viewing. It just gets mighty expensive to keep buying drives for all that data.
Nah. I spent $100 (this was a couple of years ago, I should replace it) on a 1TB drive for my server (the one with all my backups and animuz) and it's less than half full. Hard drives are really very cheap. The graphics adapter in my main box, alone, costs more than three hard drives.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 am

Huh. I'll keep that in mind for when I have spare computer money.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 am

Doing art suuuuucks, its part of my 3d modelling course and its the one part i suck at :(
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:37 am

Failed my concert audition and my first Maths test of the year. FML.

Luckily this test won't go on my progress report for the year, but the one I'm going to have in two days will, which is another possible future FML lurking in wait.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:26 am

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I don't know if that was supposed to be funny, but I laughed really hard.
Well. I'm still disappointed...
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Was getting ready to go grocery shopping and discovered that my battery is dead. Got a jump, letting it charge now, but apparently my lock is jammed somehow so I also can't get into my apartment and am still waiting for the maintenance guy to see if he can do it or if I need a locksmith. On the bright side at least my phone can still get wifi on my router from out here.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:28 pm

I had a blood-chilling encounter with my econ teacher today. He interpreted something I said as talking back to him (I later repeated the context and statement to some friends-- it was deemed not to be so.) Either way, his response was bloody terrifying. The problem is that this is likely the hardest class that I've ever taken, and I kind of need a good grade. Here's hoping I'm not permanently on his shit list.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”