What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:03 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Shoujo manga is possibly the hardest to competently turn into anime form, and doing an anime in classic shoujo style is not easy.

Fruits Basket also leaps to mind. The manga looked okay, but I wasn't a huge fan of the anime adaptation. Also, don't ask me why I was reading Fruits Basket. The library had it, okay? And I was, like, 11.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:40 pm

@pwhodges: You'll understand Mawaru Penguindrum's greatness only much later in the series as it takes some time for the show to reveal its true intent. The penguins are never directly explained, but you should begin to notice a certain pattern with them at some point.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Paul: Penguindrum is not as good as Utena, but it is still a fine show and very much worth watching (on many levels I actually enjoyed it more than Utena, though I still acknowledge the latter as the superior show -- there are many, many reasons for this, and for why it's esteem is well-earned IMO, but that's a separate topic). There're plenty of juicy themes and symbolism to keep you engaged along the way. I think you'll enjoy it once it gets into its groove.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Haikyu finished up recently, one of the better sports shows in the last couple of years probably. It doesn't drag on like some of them do and isn't always what you'd expect. Only 25 episodes and a lot of fun. Maybe they'll be another season, but it would have to be without all of the 3rd years I think.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:40 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Shojo aesthetics are are a big turnoff for me too. Its also the reason I don't watch magical girl anime. PERIOD.
Not only are you depriving yourself of excellent series like Princess Tutu or Shoujo Kakumei Utena, there are mahou shoujo series that aren't in the shoujo style -- whatever else one might say about Puella Magi Madoka Magika, nobody would accuse that of shoujo aesthetics. Nor Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, whose style is clearly influenced by its being a spin-off of a spin-off of an H-game.

And then there are the clearly shonen/seinen series like Strike Witches, Vividred Operation, or at further extremes, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? or next season's Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu (which may be AR-99's AOTY :devil: )
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:52 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Fruits Basket also leaps to mind. The manga looked okay, but I wasn't a huge fan of the anime adaptation. Also, don't ask me why I was reading Fruits Basket. The library had it, okay? And I was, like, 11.

Really? The adaption wasn't bad. I liked it. And there's no shame in reading Fruits Basket. It's actually a great manga. Nana is a really good Shojo adaption too. So is Nodame Cantabile....though this is probably more Josei.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:38 pm

More shows finishing up: Re: Hamatora, which had its first season ending on a cliff hanger, seemed to have a weaker 2nd season. While the ended did kind of tie up all of the loose ends of the story, the whole thing felt really far fetched.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!, liked it less than the first season. Wasn't really that interesting as a magical girl show, and seemed like the only thing going for it is that the characters are taken from Fate. Probably not going to continue to the 3rd season.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Whatever else one might say about Puella Magi Madoka Magika, nobody would accuse that of shoujo aesthetics... And then there are the clearly shonen/seinen series like Strike Witches, Vividred Operation...

Tines is right about PMMM. It's not shoujo style, but one could always be turned off the art for other reasons. There was a period of time where I avoided watching it because it looked like it was part of the moeblob genre (couldnt've been more wrong.) As to Vividred operation... :harpy_liplick:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:next season's Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu (which may be AR-99's AOTY :devil: )

Thank you for the reminder, had glanced at the Fall list quickly and hadn't noticed this, but it'll be added. Ugh, the MC turns into a long haired, redhead twintail female version of himself, JHC, I'm screwed. :shinjired:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Possibly icky, but it does imply yuri so there's that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am

The only anime I'm currently watching is Attack on Titan. But I have a question. Are the adaptations of Mohiro Kitohs works, Narutaru and Bokurano, considered to be any good?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48 am

SnK was a lot better than I thought that it would be. Are you enjoying it ATM?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:11 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Are the adaptations of Mohiro Kitohs works, Narutaru and Bokurano, considered to be any good?
The Narutaru anime is adequate in covering the first half of the manga; stopping suddenly short mid-plot.

Bokurano, OTOH, suffered from hostile direction, and had a GONZO ending because the manga was as yet unfinished.

Watched, expected, got  SPOILER: Show

The recommendation is watch first, read after; or if you read first, listen to the OP only.

Related --
thread/16077/Mohiro-Kitoh/
thread/7761/Bokurano/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:16 pm

More shows finishing up:

Captain Earth, had a strong start, and actually a pretty strong end, but the vast amount of the middle of the show was hapless and meandering with sometimes no clue where the plot is going. It looked like it had a lot of promise.

Blue Spring Ride, a pretty good rom-com, but sometimes a little heavy on the drama, but that's what made it good. I hope they make more.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:18 am

Windy Tales: basically a hipster Kamichu with a refreshingly experimental art style that combines sketchy, often intentionally haphazard backgrounds with character models that have almost all-black coal-lump eyes and atrophied Liefeldian feet. Much like in Kamichu, a group of schoolgirls gets a dose of magic injected into their mundane lives when they discover that a handsome teacher in their school is actually from a clan of wind-controlling elementalist magicians. They visit his home village during a Wind Festival, see some intense magic happenings and start practicing wind-controlling arts themselves. However, this is just a set-up for episodic slife-of-life non-adventures with a reserved sprinkling of magical realism, despite what the first two episodes might initially suggest. This is meant to be a relaxing show, and it wears its hat proudly: never has there been a more soothing episode titled "Earth's Last Day".

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Mospeada: Love Live Alive

Having never fully seen Mospeada in it's television format and already seen the Robotech extension of the Love Live Alive recap movie, I wouldn't say that Yellow Dancer's songs are particularly memorable like say the entire Macross catalog but at least his singing voice is a joy because i'm sorry to say that I am just not a fan of Hirotaka Suzuoki with his always monotone sounding voice.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Aldnoah cour1 finale was quite something. I have no idea what the next half will bring.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm

I started an anime club, which means another rewatching of Evangelion is in the works. :lol:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:02 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I started an anime club

Where? There wasn't one already?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Tenshi no Tamago (Angel's Egg)

Esoteric is the best word to describe this anime. If you're the kind of person who reads (too) deeply into Evangelion's religious "symbolism," you'll probably have a good time watching and analyzing this. Mamoru Oshii directed this film, of course. The story is told more through symbolic imagery than dialogue, which isn't absent, but used only when necessary. My knowledge of Christianity and its texts are limited, but I'm sure someone here has read them in-depth (if not out of interest, then circumstance). And, if so, they can probably come up with a better explanation for this. But here are my rambling thoughts on the film.

The giant eye object we see descend into the water is God/Heaven, covered in angels. It is a singular entity, yet appears to be many. The girl carries the egg, which at once represents her innocence (and therefore ignorance) and potential to be that which comes after the loss of innocence. She protects it, but the egg is ultimately broken. The man who carries the cross breaks the egg, forcing her to realize the truth and her own potential, as she returns to God/Heaven as one of the angels, and God rises above the ocean and into the sky.

In the regard that the man helps the girl realize her spiritual potential, he is like a prophet, like her very own messiah.

The fishermen and the illusory fish are a metaphor for seeking material possessions, heretical idolatry and other hollow pursuits of the ephemeral, as the only thing that is real, the only thing that is true, is God.

The man recites the story of Noah and the Deluge. The lost dove in this story is found dead and fossilized by the girl. She claims that the egg is a reincarnation of the dove, but this is a falsehood, as the man tells her that what she senses from within the egg is just her own breathing, just the sound of the wind blowing. The man "seduces" her to steal and break the egg, forcing her to realize the truth. In her despair, she runs after the man and falls to her death. The bubbles that come from her mouth form into numerous eggs, as her potential has been realized (?).

The trees that hold the giant eggs within which the birds grow is the lost dove (who represents lost humanity, which has strayed from God) trying to return to the source and to the one and only truth.

Adam and Eve are said to have eaten the fruit of knowledge, losing their innocence/ignorance. But in this film, knowledge is ignorance, a false truth, as it causes one to stray from God.

To return to this state of spiritual zenith (accepting God as the one and only truth), the girl is forced by a Christ-figure to leave behind the comfort of believing in the false. By destroying the egg he makes her follow him (regardless of her intention), which leads to her ascension and return to God. This leads me to believe that the man was sent by God to bring her (humanity) back to Him.

At the end of the film, the camera pans out to reveal the land to be a metaphorical Ark above the darkness of the ocean.

There's probably more to this film (I haven't even mentioned the water), but that's all I can really come up with. The film is open to interpretation, as there doesn't seem to be an explanation from Oshii or the other creators (those are usually the best kinds of films) with regards to their intent. I know their intent shouldn't really matter, but with something like this where the symbolic imagery conveys the meaning of the film, it's nice to have an easy answer to an esoteric question.

As to my own feelings on the film, it was a wonderful experience. I loved the haunting score and the style of the film. It doesn't quite play to my personal taste enough for me to give it a 10/10, so ultimately it's a 9/10 for me.

Return to “Old Stickies”