What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's a bad verdict by Brik. That's practically an endorsement.
Yes, now I'm very confused.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Fear is freedom. Control is liberty. Contradiction is truth.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:30 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Yes, now I'm very confused.

Since I hate everything, some people think it must be good if I hated it.

Or...

Bad is the second worst rating on my blog, with Shitty being the worst. Almost everything gets a Shitty rating. So if something gets a "Bad" rating, it must still be decent.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:You say it like owning a VHS today is a bad thing... :irked:

It's cool. I still have my original Akira on VHS. I would watch it before I could finally download this version. Not a fan of the Pioneer version. Plus a few of the scenes were changed.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 pm

I own practically every Disney animated film on VHS (at least the ones that came out while VHS was still a big thing.) How far we've come...

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Me too! Someone's always trying to throw them away and i keep holding on to them. I want to share them with my kids as collectors items :D
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Tokyo Ghoul: After a couple of weak episodes, it ends with a bang. Gourgeous episode in the visual and thematic sense. Not a great show, and with a rather erm, high number of flaws, but still very enjoyable.

Aldnoah Zero: Aside from nice actions scenes, it´s got nothing. Also, what do you do when you want to make an ending more exciting? Big, BIG spoilers ahead:

SPOILER: Show
You kill the main character nobody likes anyway.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Paradise Kiss episode 1: She looked better before the haircut. Srsly, bangs are so yesterday it's not even funny. I'll give this one a shot, it kind of has an Utena vibe to it. Not sure why I think that, but I do.

I really need to get caught up on Tokyo Ghoul, Terror in Resonance, and Free!. I've been writing instead of watching anime lately, so I guess you can see where my priorities are! -o-;
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I own practically every Disney animated film on VHS (at least the ones that came out while VHS was still a big thing.) How far we've come...

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Me too! Someone's always trying to throw them away and i keep holding on to them. I want to share them with my kids as collectors items :D

i did the same with my The Land Before Time VHS

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:07 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:i did the same with my The Land Before Time VHS

Hal wrote:When an EGF thread refers to anything involving Th.e Lan.d Befor.e Tim.e, the probability of that thread being locked approaches one.

Say, is that wordfilter still active?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 am

Finished Bayonetta: Bloody Fate. For an anime adaption of a game, it's really good, much better than most of the others that I've watched (*cough* Blazblue -Alter Memory- *cough*).

Good:
-The film decides to not attempt to copy everything that happens in the game, but just do things its own way. They manage to introduce most of the characters and concepts from the game in interesting ways without getting too bothered trying to copy everything that happens.

-The animation's great. It's not a high-budget production, but you'd never it because it does a good job with what it has and it's all solid stuff without any wonky animation. Paradiso is just as beautiful as you'd expect. All the creatures and characters are well-animated and in accordance with the game designs.

-Atsuko Tanaka is no Hellena Taylor, but she still does a great job. I wish they'd put a bit more echo on her voice during the summoning scenes like in the games, but oh well. I found the emotion in her voice in some of the flashback scenes genuinely moving, as well.

-Great, over-the-top fight scenes. This film could teach Alter Memory a thing or two thousand about gun kata. Other weapons from the games are also incorporated very well, adding more variety. The Kilgore rocket launchers were particularly awesome.

-Jubileus fight is extended to become literally cosmic.

-Demon summons are just as awesome as in the game.

-The over-the-top, exaggerated self-parodying fanservice is intact.

-Musical score is good. Music from the game is instant awesome whenever it is used; hearing 'One of a Kind' playing in the final fight was particularly epic.

Bad:

-Complete removal of the Witch Time mechanic. Stopping time was a big part of the original game, and I thought removing it took away a lot from what could have been some great moments and setpieces in the film (for example, I would have preferred it if Bayonetta's first fight with Jeanne was on top of the moving train, frozen-in-time, rather than in the ruins where it actually takes place).

-Removal of some boss fights. I understand that not all of them could be fit into the film, but this stood out because where the film is mostly faithful to the game material, in this case, some of the Cardinal Virtues just vanish from the plot. The Balder boss fight was also removed, which I thought was disappointing.

Verdict: 8/10

An awesome film adaption of a Platinum game that manages to capture all of the awesomness and over-the-topness of the original at the cost of removing some elements.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Land Before Time was awesome. It's the only thing i didn't buy. ... now its hard as hell to find. Oh well.

Anyway, I started watching Love Stage today. It is absolutely HILARIOUS :lol: . I'm only up to episode 4 and I'm holding my sides. Especially with scenes like this.

SPOILER: Show

Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes yaoi. :nyao:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:35 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Anyway, I started watching Love Stage today. It is absolutely HILARIOUS :lol: . I'm only up to episode 4 and I'm holding my sides. Especially with scenes like this.

Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes yaoi. :nyao:

*looks up from studies* Hm? What? Huh? Well I might be interested but it really depends on what they look l--

Google wrote:Image

SOLD.

EDIT: Just finished episode 1. Main character is a trap and it's a plot point. :kaos_victory: It is, in fact, the driver of the plot!

Stunning in that bridal dress, too.

And the ending of the first episode... :crybaby: So adorable!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: Just finished episode 1. Main character is a trap and it's a plot point.

He's just so adorable ^_^ The only thing I'm not happy about is that it's so short. Only ten episodes, however something tells me they'll make a short second season like they did with Junjou Romantica......which recently got the green light for a 3rd season :jiggy:

Anyway, I'll finish this tonight and start on manga!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:08 am

Character design no me gusta. Looks a little too shoujo-manga ish. :| Now, there are some shoujo manga that I DO like. This one doesn't look like one of those.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:11 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Character design no me gusta. Looks a little too shoujo-manga ish.

I know what you mean. It's on the edge for me. Usually I don't go for that. The seme's eyes in particular bother me. But the main character looks great as a girl, and is most of what the camera dwells on.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:41 am

Shojo aesthetics are are a big turnoff for me too. Its also the reason I don't watch magical girl anime. PERIOD.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:41 am

Shoujo manga is possibly the hardest to competently turn into anime form, and doing an anime in classic shoujo style is not easy. Unless you're Ikuhara it's likely to end up looking weird (case in point, Sailor Moon Crystal, especially episode 3). It's the eyes, I reckon.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Finished Bayonetta: Bloody Fate. For an anime adaption of a game, it's really good, much better than most of the others that I've watched (*cough* Blazblue -Alter Memory- *cough*).

I didn't think it was even worth 8/10. The story, even in the game, was not all that interesting, and without any sort of attachment to the characters, the story is just kind of there. Not that I'm expecting much from a movie based on slash/shoot-em-up style video game. At least Wakamoto voiced that sage guy.

A really good anime adaptation of a video game that comes to mind is Valkyria Chronicles. Since the game is sort of a real time strategy game, the anime solely focuses on the story, which was pretty good.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 am

Mawaru Penguindrum - I'm five episodes in, and not quite sure about it. There's an attractive zaniness about it, in some ways reminiscent of FLCL, though less frenetic, and I like the main characters (especially Shouma, both in character and in design). There's plenty of time for mysteries to be uncovered, of course, but I'm starting to find it rather unconvincing that the brothers are earnestly looking for something which they only know of by name, having no idea what it is. Equally, the penguins that started as a sweet and amusing distraction are starting to become tedious. They haven't actually done anything useful since early on, and don't seem to be earning their place in the show. The "survival tactic" transformation is starting to feel repetitive as well.

So all in all, I've enjoyed it so far, and I will keep going, for a while at any rate; but right now I'm starting to look for actual reasons to carry on. Still, new characters are still appearing, so there's plenty of scope for more to happen.

It occurs to me that I felt rather the same about Utena, which had the same creator; and I ended up thinking that was worth watching through, but without being as completely convinced of its greatness as some people clearly are. Maybe this will go the same way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Old Stickies”