[News] 2014 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:So they'll stick around until, along with the contingency, every one of your users have changed their passwords thus causing it to get hashed with the newer algorithm. And that's simply not something that's feasible with a large enough user base.
That would sorta depends on the login infrastructure. To be fair, the systems I've written were only really designed to handle a couple dozen people, but would allow for expansion. What I did was do all the salting and hashing on the server side (since we forced the use of SSL, the password would never be sent on the wire in the clear, anyway). The password would be hashed twice (the old hash algo and the new one). If the old hash matched the value in the database, the user would be considered authenticated and the password hash field would be updated using the new algorithm. Over time, as users logged in, their passwords would be updated for the new hash.

It's not the most secure solution, but if someone MITM'd us with SSLstrip or something, we would have bigger problems than a password breach. Namely, why someone is MITMing the sales application for a jewelry store. At that point, I had a contingency plan that would lock everyone out and set their password to a random number. Again, this was a small-time application.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am

http://www.philstar.com/pinoy-worldwide/2014/09/17/1370146/filipino-teacher-california-trouble-using-n-word-class

I'd say that is really stupid to do. Especially if teaching in a state known to be the most PC of the lot.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

This stuff. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Surge is Back.

Quick, who has eyes on EM? He may have already put himself into a sugar-induced coma.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 am

"No politics" includes UK politics, I assume? Scotland stuff has its own home now.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:23 pm

The hero we need:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/essex-gimp-man-just-trying-challenge-perceptions-raise-money-charity-he-says-1466392?utm_medium=social
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:39 pm

PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Fuck that, I want power armor.

Air conditioned power armor.

With one of those naked lady trucker mudflaps on my butt.

And a built in coke dispenser.

The soda, not the drug.

edit:

You heard it from Chuckman first. A new fappening has begun. A second fappaisance.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm not going to link to anything (partly to avoid a flamewar but mostly because I cannot link stuff when I'm on my Vita) but the Washington Post made an article about Ebola-chan (4chan's utterly adorable personification of ebola).

It's like 2005 all over again. Also amusing considering there have been downright lovable plush toys of various lethal microbes including ebola for years and nobody has complained.

We love you Ebola-chan!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 am

Totally devil's advocate when I say: Think of it as natural selection that will breed us smarter birds!

And then they'll take over and we'll be the Planet of the--

*googles for any kind of bird species with a common name that rhymes with ape, finds absolutely none*

Fuck!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:58 am

Alternatively, free food for the homeless.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:08 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Totally devil's advocate when I say: Think of it as natural selection that will breed us smarter birds!

And then they'll take over and we'll be the Planet of the--

*googles*

Re: Did you mean Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds?
Voluntary Illusion.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:40 am

http://pulpmagazinelive.com/news/2014-09-23_cannibal-corpse-accused-of-blasphemy

Considering what happened to other groups and bands blackballed by the government with the so-called anti-blasphemy law, this comes not as a surprise at all.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://pulpmagazinelive.com/news/2014-09-23_cannibal-corpse-accused-of-blasphemy

Considering what happened to other groups and bands blackballed by the government with the so-called anti-blasphemy law, this comes not as a surprise at all.

Oh for the love of...

What is this, the 80s?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:38 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Re: Did you mean Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds?

I think he meant Birdemic.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:04 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Oh for the love of...

What is this, the 80s?

Effectively there's now a Tsar -- his name is Putin.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:02 am

Ebola-chan maximum coolface -- http://www.20min.ch/ausland/news/story/23747883

Google translate wrote:The image found its way into the Nigerian Forum Nairaland. , where a user wrote: "There is a new racist cult in Europe and in the USA. They hate Africa. They worship a demon to Ebola, they call the Ebola-chan. "
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 am

Look what you did, /pol/. Do we have to rub your nose in it?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 am

Meanwhile, in other news

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhopal/Petas-call-to-Muslims-to-observe-vegetarian-Eid-misfires/articleshow/43147780.cms
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Meanwhile, in other news

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhopal/Petas-call-to-Muslims-to-observe-vegetarian-Eid-misfires/articleshow/43147780.cms

Ticking off the Muslims just because of what they practice for centuries is a really bad idea, especially when we're seeing both Islam and Hindus in India being at loggerheads due to opposing beliefs.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”