Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Under the Dog

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:29 pm

So I stumbled across this Kickstarter with an all-star production team and a really promising plot. Figured I'd just spread the word a little bit.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Looks like it won't get funded.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm

That's... that's kind of the point of spreading the word. An' kickstarters usually have a big boom in the last week.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Souther
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Souther » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 am

Well, I guess that's fine. Hopefully some folks who hadn't heard about this effort will manage to stumble upon it here.

I wasn't excessively interested in the limited specifics available for the project, at least as it stands now, but I strongly support what it represents and the potential for expanding on the ideas they've merely teased at. But that's mostly in theory. At this point, we can only hope it'll work out at the last minute.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:37 pm

My kickstarter got 5 dollars, thats something....
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 am

Just found out about this, this needs to get funded!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 am

$800K to produce one ep and they already ponied up some funds to cut trailer footage and a staff video. Tempting but I'm not balling yet and I'd go for the shikishi (Station Chief), although I'd then have to fly my ass to Tokyo.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 am

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:An' kickstarters usually have a big boom in the last week.

Yeah, looks like they will pull it off in the last minute, they made a lot more than their daily average in the last couple of days.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Looks like it got the money.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:23 pm

That's so cool. Honestly, the whole anime kickstarter trend is kind of cool in that it gives american/international audiences more of a say in what anime content gets produced.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:14 am

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:That's so cool. Honestly, the whole anime kickstarter trend is kind of cool in that it gives american/international audiences more of a say in what anime content gets produced.

Exactly. Traditionally it's only the production committees that have the last word and also keep tabs on the pursestrings.

Souther
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Souther » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:47 am

I'm glad for them.

Now it's all a matter of waiting to see how good the actual pilot episode will be.

It also seems they plan (or least want to do) another Kickstarter down the road.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Anyone contribute to the campaign?
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:45 pm

I seriously considered it since it has a great production staff. Ultimately, I couldn't shell out the money for a release that's a year and a half away, only 24 minutes long, and is sight-unseen. I hope it turns out great for everyone who contributed.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 am

I ponied up a fair amount. It was on impulse, I'm not even that into the plot (and these guys need to learn how railguns work; talking about recoil with a RG is stupid), but the principle of the thing is important to me. If these guys make this work then it opens so many doors down the road, so I wish them luck.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 pm

I threw in also, stuck to the lower amount I had been pondering for over a day.

On the Livestream Hiroaki Yura addresses what will be done with the extra funding situation after 1:09:00 - not as much extra as you'd think.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 pm

>That's so cool. Honestly, the whole anime kickstarter trend is kind of cool in that it gives american/international audiences more of a say in what anime content gets produced.

I’m probably the only person who find this as much of a bad thing as a good one (tilting towards the former) but I guess that’s not surprising given how grumpy I am. I actually kind of fear what the effects of this type of globalization would be on any anime produced in this manner. There’s a significant difference and barrier between being a fan of something compared to being a creator of it, and the main one (took from this site) is that the fan just focuses on the superficial aspects he enjoys of the product with little to no regard –or even understanding- of the other aspects of the production, necessary complications and compromises, and the holisticness/cohesiveness of the work as a whole. I don’t know if it will be more or less laden with problems compared to the current production committee method, but I’m certain it will bring its own unique share of issues.

On the Kickstarter itself, this is one of those things where I would have supported it (the fundraising ended before I learned of it) more for the principle of the thing and the very interesting production possibilities and precedent it sets up. The project itself I’m afraid comes off as edgy teenager’s idea of mature: Violent drivel with some poorly cooked themes and hollow mise-en-scene. I find a bit amusing that in their leapt to freedom with a crowdfunded project they go for something you’d see in an AAA Hollywood film. Some of the attitudes of the producer don’t help, but overall he’s a fine (quite amazing/exceptional to be honest) man, which could also be said for many of the people behind “Under the Dog” I think. But in any case, the principle of it and the potential in this new financing method is just too good to let it pass even if the product itself isn’t that interesting. Hell, it might even open the door for small studios from various countries without an animation industry or entirely internet-based. Hell, if this is sucessful maybe some years down the line we’ll see a kickstarter for a spiritual successor to the World Masterpiece Theater series or something equally dignified, one can dream.

>Hiroaki Yura addresses what will be done with the extra funding situation after 1:09:00 - not as much extra as you'd think.

Yeah, IIRC around half of the budget is going towards administrative/Kickstarter fees and those stupid backer prizes. Well, they’re good on principle but when around 40% of what backers gave you go back to superfluous elements then there’s a problem. Kinda concerned about how this will affect the future possibilities of this method.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Anime and Manga”