Do you want FINAL to be it or do you want a new show?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:45 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Just noting why it won't happen.

You too are medium? :tongue:

Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to have a big demand from all the fans around the world to know more of what happened during the time skip, so if it's not explained in FINAL or only the broad strokes in passing, I just can't see Khara missing the opportunity to capitalize on it to make more cash.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You too are medium? :tongue:

Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to have a big demand from all the fans around the world to know more of what happened during the time skip, so if it's not explained in FINAL or only the broad strokes in passing, I just can't see Khara missing the opportunity to capitalize on it to make more cash.

Anno doesn't care. You don't have to be a medium to realize that, you just gotta pay attention.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:04 pm

^
There's cash to make, and he have a studio to support, that's why I doubt he'll miss the opportunity.
And if he doesn't do that, he'll probably confide the task to one of his collaborators.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:12 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
There's cash to make, and he have a studio to support, that's why I doubt he'll miss the opportunity.
And if he doesn't do that, he'll probably confide the task to one of his collaborators.

Yes, like all the other times he's made non-Shinji-centric Eva stories.

Oh wait.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Personally, I think Anno won't do it. If only to troll us obsessed fans who want to know.

I mean, C'mon he's still Anno. He loves subverting our expectations, for good and for ill.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:31 pm

I'd like for FINAL to wrap up the main plot threads introduced in 1.11/2.22/3.33, and hanging questions that don't need immediate answering (mostly in regards to the timeskip, the new bridge bunneis/WILLE characters, etc) would be prime work for an OVA.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

I wouldn't mind if FINAL was the end of the franchise. But somehow I think that probably won't happen.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Why not? It's Anno's series, he doesn't seem the type to let it get into anybody else's hands, especially if he has other projects to work on once Eva's finished.

I wrote before I'd prefer the series to die off with quiet dignity post-FINAL (as the final official work), but I'm sure there's probably plenty of merchandise (pachinko/spin-off manga/figures/NGE BDs, etc) to keep the franchise itself going strong.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:45 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Why not? It's Anno's series, he doesn't seem the type to let it get into anybody else's hands,

He left the official manga of his franchise into the hands of Sadamoto, that's something!
And let's not talk about the fuckton of spin-offs made after EoE. (Campus Apocalypse, ISIK, ANIMA, Petit Eva...)

Even if he doesn't do it himself, I can perfectly picture Anno confiding the reins of an official spin-off to one of his trustee collaborators (Sadamoto, Yamashita) to keep the cash flowing to Khara while he works on his next project.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 am

^ Those are all completely different forms of media, telling stories that sometimes don't even resemble Eva outside of recognizable faces.

The only time Anno handed over a motion picture project he was directing over to someone else was when he let Shinji Higuchi direct the Island Arc of Nadia, and pretty much no one (including the filmmakers themselves) thought that was a good idea.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:55 am

And Kare Kano, don't forget.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 am

True. Though that was a manga adaptation. Without Anno’s presence directing, other filmmakers were still pulling from the same source, and it becomes clear that the true auteur of the work was actually the original author more than it was any of the filmmakers involved.

This isn’t the case for something like Eva, and wasn’t svn entirely the case for Nadia. Even though Nadia was using a basic premise from a Miyazaki pitch, it wasn’t based on a full series script. The filmmakers had to create new scripts from the ground up because none were really available for them to use yet. What came of these works were stories and characters developed by Anno as he directed his team. Without that, you really wouldn’t have any of the qualities of an Eva series.

Unless of course he stuck on as a consultant or a producer on a project directed by someone else. But I honestly don’t think that’s going to happen either.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 am

Well, if said spin-off happens and isn't a TV Series or OVA, I can picture Anno giving basic instructions on the story and how the characters interact with each others, and have a role of consultant when whoever is in charge needs an advice or clarification, leaving to the master time to concentrate on other projects.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yes, like all the other times he's made non-Shinji-centric Eva stories.

Perhaps Anno hasn't made an entire Shinji-centric series, but he's perfectly fine putting the spotlight on other characters. Remember all that Asuka stuff in the later episodes of the TV show and in 2.22?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I'd like this to be the end. It's the perfect time for it. The official manga is done. The TV series will be celebrating it's 20th anniverssary, the original creators have all left their mark on history & the new continuation of the franchise is going out on what seems to be a high mark. It's a perfect place to bring things to a definite conclusion. .... until the series is brought back in some wacked "Sailor Moon Crystal-esque" revivial on the 40th Anniverssary in 2035.

Finishing things now would be for the best. I can't imagine Hideaki Anno would want to return to this universe for a THIRD time. Especially since the second go around depending on who you ask has taken him a full decade to achieve.

Anything past Final I see would just be a case of diminished returns. Of course that exact outlook has been thrown at the Rebuild films but I feel like the law of diminished returns would be multiplied ten-fold if things kept on from this point on.

Let FINAL be FINAL.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I've decided I want a Three's Company style show starring Shinji, Asuka, and Misato. Gendo and Yui will be filling for the Ropers and Kaji will be filling in for Larry. After Gendo and Yui leave, Fuyutsuki will come fill in as Mr. Furley.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:29 pm

The only reason I want more is because I don't want the WILLE crew to go to waste.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:The only reason I want more is because I don't want the WILLE crew to go to waste.

Same reason here, on one side I would like it to end, on the other, I feel like WILLE/Mari won't have enough limelight even if the last movie is a master piece

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:56 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:He left the official manga of his franchise into the hands of Sadamoto, that's something!

And everybody knows how Sadamoto fucked it up :hahaha: :hahaha: (My god, I still cannot forgve his storytelling and the things he did with some key characters.....)

Anima would be fine for me, as a curiosity. But if you think that FINAL it's the last thing we'll see about evangelion, IMO you're gonna gt disappointed :lol:

Waiting for the 30th anniversary :hahaha:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm still waiting to see Sadamoto's ending when it comes out legally. I've remained relatively unspoiled, which is nice.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”