Will you spoil FINAL for yourself before you see it?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm probably just going to go ahead and spoil myself. I've waited this long, I might as well find out what's what instead of spending ages trying to figure it out before the subbed release.

In any case, I'd probably get hit in the face some early-release red herrrings like those that came out on Q's release (if I recall correctly, there was once a rumour that Asuka was the last Angel and Shinji had to kill her) which will keep me partially unspoiled as to what actually happened.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 pm

I can't let myself be spoiled. I'll wait till the Japanese BD comes out. I'll probably inform myself on wikipedia or something how the film begins. I did the same with EoE and...yeah.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Can't see myself waiting for the BD. Either I'll spoil myself online OR I'll severely dig into my bank account & visit Japan for the first time.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Can't see myself waiting for the BD. Either I'll spoil myself online OR I'll severely dig into my bank account & visit Japan for the first time.

Oh, watching the film in a cinema is something I'd love to do. I feel like I should do something "special" to watch the film.
But if the film is good, it'll be special anyways. Maybe I should just watch it, just like I did with EoE.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Oh, watching the film in a cinema is something I'd love to do. I feel like I should do something "special" to watch the film.

For having seen the movies in a theater (a marathon the the three Rebuilds) I can attest that the experience is incredible, especially the audio. (Ramiel's fucking screams!)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I can attest that the experience is incredible, especially the audio. (Ramiel's fucking screams!)

Oh God, it really is. :nod: Definitely waiting for FINAL local theatrical release then (a loooong wait).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm

I've only seen 3.0 in theaters (thrice), but yeah... it's a must.

I'll definitely be seeing 4.0 in theaters. Quite probably two times back-to-back just so that it can penetrate even deeper into my mind.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:For having seen the movies in a theater (a marathon the the three Rebuilds) I can attest that the experience is incredible, especially the audio. (Ramiel's fucking screams!)

I don't feel any envy...at all. :asuka_miffed:

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

I didn't hold myself back for Q I'm not going to start now. (being part of the craziness is too much fun.)
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Coldwire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Coldwire » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:18 am

I will definitely spoil myself, I just can help it, I gotta know, I'm weak like that.
I could hide familiar in my pain
serve my sorrows in vain
or I could step right outside
and show you that I'm alive
I'll leave you behind...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:32 am

I honestly don't care about having some "pure and pristine first viewing experience". Being around for the tsunamis of fun and excitement here at the forum when the film first releases and camrips start leaking is a worthy experience all its own.

...Except for the part where I have to police for spoilers posted in the wrong parts of the board. I hate that.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:13 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I don't feel any envy...at all. :asuka_miffed:

You should, what I meant with the Ramiel example is that with the surrounding speakers, every time he screamed to charge a laser, you could feel all the power behind each shot, and feel its pain when it was hit by the positron rifle.

The theater even did a very nice trick for the scene of Shinji's mental breakdown in Q: each speaker was diffusing one of the different overlapping voices he heard in his head, the effect was unsettling and you really had the feeling that you were going nuts alongside Shinji!

NTE was made with the theaters in mind, and in shows here!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:17 am

Maybe I could kinda reproduce that, becasue I have a 5.1 surround system, but it won't be the same.
You should

:asuka_sad:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 am

Hm.

Final is different because it is the ending, what will lead to the finished impression; I'd want to get that all at once, as intended, not in a trickle bit by bit, building incorrect expectations from incomplete descriptions - it was different with Q because there was this factor of speculating what will happen next, and not being left out with that.

So i'll probably wait for a complete, reasonably non-crap camrip with subs.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:47 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:This is, of course, assuming that it will be released in 2015 at the latest. My enlistment ends Jan 4, 2016... maybe... :lol:

I hope Final is released after your departure.

:wink:

But seriously, if the film isn't released by 2015, then someone should put a hex on Anno and the Eva cast

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:35 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Hm.

Final is different because it is the ending, what will lead to the finished impression; I'd want to get that all at once, as intended, not in a trickle bit by bit, building incorrect expectations from incomplete descriptions - it was different with Q because there was this factor of speculating what will happen next, and not being left out with that.

So i'll probably wait for a complete, reasonably non-crap camrip with subs.

It will be the BD for me. I'll suffer...
Will have to avoid the trailers too. The once after the release.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I'll do what I did for Q: stick around until the very day before release, discussing theories and previews and trailers and the like, and then I'll avoid anywhere it might be discussed until the BD rip. And then, when THORA eventually does the translation again, I'll follow that from the first step to the last, every day until it's done.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Hell yeah I will. I totally spoiled Q for myself so there's not a chance I won't spoil the shit out of Final for myself as well, all unintentionally of course. Spoilers have never really bothered me as surprise isn't something I find very important to my enjoyment of fiction. Knowing that the world gets tanged before watching EOE may have changed the nature of my "enjoyment" watching the film but not in a negative way.
Last edited by Dr. Talos on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 pm

The only thing I'll spoil for me, is this.

I'll ask one question about the movie. Do Shinji and Misato reconcile after 14 years of absence and bitterness? That's the only plot point I'll really spoil for myself.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The only thing I'll spoil for me, is this.

I'll ask one question about the movie. Do Shinji and Misato reconcile after 14 years of absence and bitterness? That's the only plot point I'll really spoil for myself.

Don't forget Asuka. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”