Thoughts about Mari

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Wrong continuity...........also she knows exactly where to touch Asuka's stuff

Wouldn't be so sure.....she seems to know Asuka's stuff about the puppy
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:48 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I would add ReiQ as a second disruptive to complete the Q setup.

I forgot about her busting Shinji out of Wunder in the first place - yes, that makes her a definite second disruptive.

Ha: Shinji (primary)/ Asuka (secondary)/ Rei (secondary/tertiary)/ Mari (disruptive) /Haworu (mystery)

Q: Asuka (primary)/ Mari (secondary)/ Shinji (disruptive)/Rei Q (secondary disruptive) /Qworu (mystery)

Rei Q acts entirely in support of Shinji and Gendo in being disruptive, with Shinji being the primary disruptive element. I've broken Kaworu into two characters here - "Haworu" in Ha and "Qworu" in Q, since their design has visible differences and both may simply be separate Kaworu clones. Kaworu's work doesn't make complete sense just yet.

This is a bit of a muddle at the moment - since Mari has lost her disruptive status, she has merely come as a stand-in for Asuka's position as a supporting Eva pilot. The question remains whether she will start to take a more prominent role in Final, with Shinji, Asuka and Rei Q forming a wandering trio across the landscape. Plotwise, she's like bringing the Joker card into a game of chess - so that pieces that were once clearly defined are being shunted around by the presence of something from an entirely different game.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I know! I know! Mari is. . . .

. . . . A Time Lord!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I know! I know! Mari is. . . .

. . . . A Time Lord!

.......that is crazy enough to be true, i now demand Asuka and Shinji be the doctors new companions!.........wait no that would be too much like amy and rory never mind, how about Rei and penpen?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:54 pm

This thread's 24 pages long so I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but holy shit:

[url]http://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/1v3w2z/rebuild_of_evangelion_final_theories_ideas_how/[/url] wrote:mcpw 12 points 7 months ago*
All I want is some Mari answers and what her relation to Asuka is. This whole thing is haunting, for example, Mari has a similar color-set to the doll that Kyoko strangled on NGE

[URL=http://imgur.com/PyQlIeE]Image[/URL]

Is it just me, or isn't that slightly unnerving?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm

^
Not really, I mean Mari is part of Asuka, I just can't describe the feeling I have about it being true. I have so many thoughts on the matter.

This what I started out with

Mari is part of Asuka's divided consciousness.

The best way I can explain it is like this, you remember in EoE when all those spears were about to rain down upon Asuka and Unit 02 activates for a brief moment? Well what it was trying to do was absorb Asuka like Unit 01 absorbed Shinji, in this case though it was doing it to protect her. But as we saw with Kyoko it was only able to absorb a part of her, thus two separate entities now exist, Asuka and Mari. Mari is the Asuka that inherited the majority of her Mother's features and personality traits, Asuka is the Asuka that inherited the majority of her Father's X Chromosome features and personality traits. It's part of the reason why Mari calls Asuka "Princess", she's essentially mocking her by calling her Daddy's Princess.

You want to know how she's gonna be put back together? Watch the preview for 4.0. Fun little fact, The number Ten in the Bible represents Perfection,Completeness, or Completion. 8+2=10

But now I'm thinking that what we are witnessing is Asuka's half of Instrumentality.

Just to confirm something, SSD you know more about Asuka than I do, you've probably analyzed the hell out of her, what are her worst fears?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm all for fanciful theories but NTE being Asuka in Instrumentality is silly.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:32 pm

It seems like Shikinami has a similar fear to Soryu with being alone. IMO, she seemed honest about her realizations that being with other people is good, though any opportunities (Shinji, Rei 2) to act on those feelings were suddenly snatched away due to Bardiel. But the fears doesn't seem to be rooted in mommy issues like Soryu. As of 3.0, there's much bigger things to worry about, but at least she struck up a friendship with Mari during the 14 year timeskip.

I had this old cracked out theory about Asuka and Mari from way back when, enjoy it (was purely meant to be silly): http://forum.evageeks.org/post/379962/Mari-Discussion-Speculation-Version-222/#379962

Hell, that thread shows how speculation of Webuild being Asuka Soryu's head-trip in Instrumentality is nothing new. :lol:

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 pm

^
Oh I thought one of her fears was being replaced :sniffle: Nevermind then.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:This thread's 24 pages long so I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but holy shit:

Sorry, but I don't really see the similarity: Mari's hair are darker, her eye color lighter and her plugsuit of a more vibrant pink. That and the fact that in the earlier drafts she was supposed to have a dark-green/gray plugsuit with fuchsia highlighting.

Besides wasn't Asuka's doll redhead and wearing a red robe in the TV Series?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:This thread's 24 pages long so I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but holy shit:

At first I felt the same, with the color scheme bring pretty similar which is of course unnerving. But not only the CRC make it looks like a coincidence but there is also the fact that he used a figure as an example, in the series itself its hard to see the colors.

Now seriously, there are so many crazy Mari theories out there, femKaworu, Asuka and Shinji's daughter, Mary Poppins, genderbeant Gendo and even the cat lady from episode 15.

Now, I myself dont like those, specially the ones that makes her naturally related to Asuka. As I prefer to see their friendship as spontaneous instead of fated. I do think we will know her deal eventually, and I do hope it do t feels forced

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm all for fanciful theories but NTE being Asuka in Instrumentality is silly.

I agree, It's the fankwankiest fankwank theory I've ever heard.

Seriously, IMO I don´t understand why is so hard to understand that NTE is and independent story from NGE (unless FINAL surprises us). I know It's Eva and that means theory fuel, but that for me it's not enough, It's just a retelling.

You want to know how she's gonna be put back together? Watch the preview for 4.0. Fun little fact, The number Ten in the Bible represents Perfection,Completeness, or Completion. 8+2=10

Dan Brown??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I believe Asuka is not the one piloting that 8+2.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:13 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Besides wasn't Asuka's doll redhead and wearing a red robe in the TV Series?

Asuka's NGE doll looks exactly how she looks in that figure. :) Of course, Shikinami's puppet in 2.0 looks different/freakier.

Why wouldn't Asuka and Mari be dual-piloting Eva 2+8 like Shinji and Kaworu did with Evangelion 13?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 am

For that WILLE first need to master the technology behind dual-piloting, it's not clear if they do since so far the only WILLE units we saw are single piloted.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:28 am

Yeah, but it’s not even clear what duel-pilot technology entails. It could be really simple, it’s just that Evas never required two souls prior to Q, so no one ever bothered to build it until then.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 am

And is it even likely that there will be another need for a dual-piloted Eva? Once was quite enough, thanks!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:For that WILLE first need to master the technology behind dual-piloting, it's not clear if they do since so far the only WILLE units we saw are single piloted.

They built a giant flying whale ship made out of pen pen, I think they can figure out a two pilot Eva.

You know what's funny? At least two fanfics had dual piloted Evas in them before Q came out.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:22 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They built a giant flying whale ship made out of pen pen, I think they can figure out a two pilot Eva.

You know what's funny? At least two fanfics had dual piloted Evas in them before Q came out.

It's a concept softly teased at Asuka Strikes, its not impressive that it showed up in the fanfic world.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:46 pm

True, that.
the prophecy is true

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:55 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They built a giant flying whale ship made out of pen pen, I think they can figure out a two pilot Eva.

That's assuming that they are the ones that built that thing, they could had also stolen it from SEELE, they are the kind of guys who would create such a thing, they have the perfect taste for that kind of machinery, remember the Harpies! :tongue:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”