Ogata Megumi Anime Revolution Q & A

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Ogata Megumi Anime Revolution Q & A

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Friend friend friend friend! :kaworusparkle:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Ogata's thoughts on Shinji here: http://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/2eewbv/megumi_ogata_shinji_qa_anime_revolution_2014/

Copy/paste for posterity's sake. Made the Q & A slightly more legible.

Megumi Ogata (Shinji) Q&A Anime Revolution 2014 (self.evangelion)
submitted 3 days ago * by jeubachSEELE 07 SOUND ONLY[M]

I was able to write down all of the Evangelion related questions at the q&a, and some others. Might have some typos, did all of this through my phone. Hope you enjoy:

Who do you think Shinji would go out with?

[Joking] Mr. Kaji, I believe his heart is still that of a child and would not be able to decide on such matters easily.

Can you describe how it felt acting Shinji?

Id say that Shinji was a very new type of protagonist in anime. Up until then when somebody voiced the protagonist their voice was projected as if on a stage. So I'd say Shinji was the first character where the voice of the character was realistically displayed. Directed towards other characters rather than an audience.

While acting as Shinji, what was the hardest thing?

While I was voicing him, everything in his world was going very bad so even I started feeling bad. You could say the sync ratio was at 400%. Most often I didnt want to do anything after voicing Shinji.

As youve been acting as Shinji and hes been growing, does your acting also change with his own growth?

So as my career expands and i also gain experience, the techniques i learn are applied to every voice i do.

You said you had high sync ratio with Shinji, when he got hurt did it hurt you as well?

Idk if you know but a very square angel appears and fires a laser to the evangelions chest and makes a hole. Around Shinji theres lcl and it fills his veins, anno asked me to act as if the liquid was burning right inside of me. And so I acted as that as if my chest and throat were burning. I went to the doctor the next day and he said it was as if I had burned my throat.

Im a big fan and after meeting you I saw you were very feminine and gentle. So shinjis character is quiet but can be very active, so is it the same thing for you? Being human?

I have many many faces and one of them is Shinji.

Cosplay?

No cosplay. Since I already play characters I dont see the need to go any further.

Do you ever think "I cant run away, I cant run away"?

Whenever I pay the loan for my house.

Is there anything you like in western culture?

Rock and metal music, R&B. Music un general. Theres a lot to put into such small words. Disney's Fantasia.

Was there any other character that you found interesting in eva?

Smiling Ayanami. And angry Asuka.

What do you think about Evangelions characters?

Its hard to say because they are all very different. I havent really thought about it. They are different in the tv and movies. So its a very good question. Sorry.

In the hospital scene? It was very very very difficult.

I asked gendos va, good Shinji.

What are shinjis feelings towards kaworu?

Friend friend friend friend.

Keep in mind that she had two translators and that I couldnt write everything word by word. I did my best though. Thanks for reading.

And lets celebrate our 10,000 subscribers!!!

EDIT: They told us not to take photos, but they were too late... a small amount of us got lucky. link

The "I'm glad, Shinji" bit with Gendo's seiyuu is from here. After all these years, I still :mwahaha: at it...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 am

Megumi Ogata wrote:What are shinjis feelings towards kaworu?

Friend friend friend friend.

:evillaugh:
More seriously, assuming that it's not just her interpretation, that's the confirmation that what's between Shinji and Kaworu is a deep friendship that's indeed beyond simple friendship like with Touji and Kensuke, as a parallel of Anno's friendship with Akira Ishida (Kaworu's VA and main source of inspiration for the character), even thought there are undoubtedly Ho Yay moments, but that could be simply fanservice.

Megumi Ogata wrote:Idk if you know but a very square angel appears and fires a laser to the evangelions chest and makes a hole. Around Shinji theres lcl and it fills his veins, anno asked me to act as if the liquid was burning right inside of me.

So Shinji was literally boiling from the inside!? :cringe:
Between that, the pain of his Eva's arms crushed by Sahaquiel and his impalement by Zeruel in 2.0 and the details shown in the Groundworks of his pain when impaled by the spears in 3.0, I'm starting to wonder that if it wasn't for that angelic infection in the eye, Asuka would had gotten it easier than Shinji in matters of physical pain!

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The "I'm glad, Shinji" bit with Gendo's seiyuu is from here. After all these years, I still :mwahaha: at it...

:hitthetable:
Now I'll never be able to take that scene seriously ever again!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:21 am

Well, it confirms that Shinji feels a deep friendship for Kaworu, at least...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, it confirms that Shinji feels a deep friendship for Kaworu, at least...
Well said. One person's feelings does not negate another's...

Megumi Ogata wrote:No cosplay. Since I already play characters I dont see the need to go any further.
I'd never have even considered a voice actor dressing up as their character, but that's a very good point. I wonder if it's a common consideration amongst voice actors.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Kaworu's feelings so far are a big unknown in NTE (so far they seem creepy/obsessive), while in NGE they have serious Christ overtones.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm

NGE Kaworu is in fact a seductive demon attempting to lure Shinji away from enlightenment. Very little is Christlike about that.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:51 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:I'd never have even considered a voice actor dressing up as their character, but that's a very good point. I wonder if it's a common consideration amongst voice actors.

I only know about the Kill la Kill VAs doing that.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:52 pm

It's a welcome bit of news but at the same time it's frustrating that there was nothing about the final. I wish there had been a question "how was your experience with Final" or something along those lines.
(Many thanks go to SSD, though.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:55 pm

@Chuckman: Er, what? I'm talking about how before his death, he decided to save humanity/Shinji. In contrast with NTE, Kaworu's only focus is Shinji's "happiness" (probably Instrumentality/Impact-related since he was part of Seele the whole time).

Anyway, I love Q&As like this that give more insight into characters. Mitsuishi's recent con interview didn't say too much: just how for NTE the cast directly worked with Anno compared to NGE.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm

The Christ stuff with Kaworu certainly come in the very last 2 minutes of his 8-minute screen presence in the TV series. But, yes, everything before that were all lies that were slowly starting to turn into truths. I’m pretty sure Kaworu walked into Nerv thinking that we was gonna get Shinji to love him, and then didn’t realize that he would fall in love himself. His “I love you” line in the middle of the episode might border in between truth and lies as far as his intent goes. He was gonna say that to Shinji at some point anyway so that way he won’t get in the way on an Angelic Impact, but as soon as he said it he realized that he might actually be speaking the truth about his feelings.

Also, this is by far the most lovey-dovey “soap opera” stuff I’ve ever posted on this forum.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 pm

It's not a lie, in the sense that he believes it, but he's a monstrous alien that looks like a person and doesn't understand what it means.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm

So Ogata doesn't believe in the Kaworu x Shinji ship (in the romantic sense) and [s:1l0w246m]jokingly[/s:1l0w246m] has some measure of approval towards the Kaji x Shinji ship :mwahaha:
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:@Chuckman: Er, what? I'm talking about how before his death, he decided to save humanity/Shinji. In contrast with NTE, Kaworu's only focus is Shinji's "happiness" (probably Instrumentality/Impact-related since he was part of Seele the whole time).

The most tempting demons are the ones who don't realize they're demons. The lie is much easier to sell if you actually believe it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:So Ogata doesn't believe in the Kaworu x Shinji ship (in the romantic sense) and [s]jokingly[/s] has some measure of approval towards the Kaji x Shinji ship :mwahaha:

It’s really the most mentally sound ship for Shinji at this point.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It’s really the most mentally sound ship for Shinji at this point.

She's actually rejecting ships there, noting that Shinji's not ready for them. ALL SHIPS SUNK!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Good thing I have enough faith in my own interpretation and beliefs that I don't need someone to validate them for me.

everytime we touch, i get this feeeeeeling
the prophecy is true

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:31 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:So Ogata doesn't believe in the Kaworu x Shinji ship (in the romantic sense) and [s]jokingly[/s] has some measure of approval towards the Kaji x Shinji ship :mwahaha:

Her twitter is full of shipping and other shenanigans, including metric tons of KawoShin.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Good thing I have enough faith in my own interpretation and beliefs that I don't need someone to validate them for me.

everytime we touch, i get this feeeeeeling

This is why post-3I fanfic is so fun. You take what's happened in stride, own it, and chart your own path forward with your own hands. Good end, no argument with what's come before, no validation required! :asukahearts:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, I love Q&As like this that give more insight into characters. Mitsuishi's recent con interview didn't say too much: just how for NTE the cast directly worked with Anno compared to NGE.

Um...where can I find that Q&A?
Edit: The Mitsuishi one.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Click the paper icon for the thread:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just scroll down to Friday, August 8th on that Twitter page, no?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”