Are Seele the FAR?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Yep. I just saw 1.11 ealier to check the contract thingy. They were mortal beings, changed that via upload into monoliths as a way to get more time for true immortal life. Having a contract with Lilith to achieve this just feels so exciting right now :lol:

Maybe (fanwank!) Lilith started humanity, because humanity was needed, since SEELE have neither legs or arms to build stuff. I mean, they are just some blocks, right? :tongue:

What might SEELE have given Lilith in exchange?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Where in 1.11 did they mention this? Do you have screen caps?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 pm

The only thing mentioned in 1.0 is that there's a covenant with Lilith with the SEELE-01 monolith talk to Kaworu on the Moon, that aside we don't know anything about said covenant.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Oh no. Might have expressed that better. They were talking about a contract with Lilith. Nothing else.

The rest was just speculation.

/edit: The contract is mentioned twice. Not just at the end with Kaworu. And th Fruit of Wisdom/Life is mentioned right at the beginning between Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:39 pm

You know, that whole 4th Impact was weird. Seele have a covenant with Lilith. Did it involve both of them dying? Like, was it a sacrificial suicide pact or something? (And that’s assuming Seele died in Q, whether it be when Fuyutsuki deactivated the monoliths or if they died in Mark.09.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Well, since Lilith died during the time skip, whatever covenant SEELE had with her probably stopped with her death, so they probably continued on their own, leading to the plan we saw in 3.0 (whether they really needed a Cassius or not)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:36 pm

[Split into "Did Gendo Betray Seele". - OMF]

View Original Postthezeppo1138 wrote:The FAR isn't technically canon in either universe, right?

They are technically second-tier canon for NGE, as they come from material developed by Anno. But they weren't directly referenced in either NGE or EoE at any point, no.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 am

^
Well, they are indirectly alluded in chapter 21 when Gendo mention that the walls of the cavity that would later become the Geofront are of artificial origin, but the FAR name only comes from the CI.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 am

Regarding the gift of civilization.

Douglas Trumbull, the special effects supervisor on 2001, is noted as saying that Kubrick initially wanted the monolith constructed out of Lucite in order to facilitate the projection of light and images onto its surface, but unsatisfactory results forced him to abandon the project. Indeed, in a 1969 interview, Kubrick referred to the monolith as an “advanced television teaching machine,” and noted that in early parts of the script, the artefact was more akin to a screen than an alien entity, becoming “milky and luminous.” However, whilst this literal projection idea was discarded in the final cut of the film, that is not to say that it still does not metaphysically linger, for according to this theory, isn’t the whole film merely a projection onto a cinematic monolith?

http://www.intuition-online.co.uk/article.php?id=2850

Q: To take one specific, in the novel the black monolith found by curious man- apes three million years ago does explicit things which it doesn't do in the film. In the movie, it has an apparent catalytic effect which enables the ape to discover how to use a bone as a weapon-tool. In the novel, the slab becomes milky and luminous and we're told it's a testing and teaching device used by higher intelligences to determine if the apes are worth helping. Was that in the original screenplay? When was it cut out of the film?

A: Yes, it was in the original treatment but I eventually decided that to depict the monolith in such an explicit manner would be to run the risk of making it appear no more than an advanced television teaching machine. You can get away with something so literal in print, but I felt that we could create a far more powerful and magical effect by representing it as we did in the film.

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0069.html

The SEELE monoliths aren't static. So who knows...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”