What characters should be expanded upon?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm

It'd be nice to not see Toji and Kensuke NOT dissapear 2 thirds of the way through.

And was I the only one who felt a homoerotic undertone between the two? I mean in Episode 3 when they're in the bathroom in classic Gainax style to save budget they pan across like 15 empty urinals and the two are using ones right next to each other?

Maybe I just have a sick mind......Yeah, thats probably it.

Shawn Dudley
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shawn Dudley » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:51 pm

And was I the only one who felt a homoerotic undertone between the two? I mean in Episode 3 when they're in the bathroom in classic Gainax style to save budget they pan across like 15 empty urinals and the two are using ones right next to each other?

It's sort of a male bonding thing. I really wouldn't read anything more into it.
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 pm

See also: "Excel Saga" and "Shall We Dance?"*.

Since I don't typically go into males' waste depository stations, I can't comment on Real Life.

* The real one, not the Hollywood version.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Houndour
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Houndour » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 pm

I too felt like Toji and Kensuke were neglected nearing the end of the series. They added some much needed levity but managed to escape being one dimensional. They were, when compared to the majority of the cast, normal, for lack of a better word. M'kay, maybe not normal, but definitely not as troubled. No homoerotic vibes coming from 'em for me --

Shawn Dudley wrote:It's sort of a male bonding thing.

I think that sums it up fine.

gydromon
Embryo

character expansion

•      
  •      

Postby gydromon » Fri May 04, 2007 1:58 pm

more, more, more and more of Misato please-

i also think it would be pretty awesome if the angels themselves were elaborated upon- origins, who they answer to- the purpose of their visits-

i think our minds would really bend if they delved into that mythology-

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri May 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Meh, they could expand on the fourth bridge bunny. For starters, we could get a name...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: character expansion

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 pm

gydromon wrote:i also think it would be pretty awesome if the angels themselves were elaborated upon- origins, who they answer to- the purpose of their visits-

(A) Adam's uter00.
(B) Mommy.
(C) Damned if they know.

There is a lot of unexplored potential with the Angels, yessum.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Re: character expansion

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 pm

There is a lot of unexplored potential with the Angels, yessum.[/quote]

Indeed there is...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri May 04, 2007 11:55 pm

I'd rather they spend more time on Keel-chan's story instead of the Angels.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Sat May 05, 2007 12:03 am

Houndour wrote:I too felt like Toji and Kensuke were neglected nearing the end of the series.

Yeah, it's unfair considering those two do so much to further the plot and, wait, no...actually they're not that important. I mean, Toji basically had no purpose after episode 18 and Kensuke, well, never had much of a purpose to begin with. Sure they were nice when the series was in its "lighter" phase, but what would they have done in EoE? My guess is that we will see plenty of them, as indicated by the You Are (Not) Alone poster. But then again, Toji was right there with Asuka, Rei and Shinji on the D & R poster, and he was hardly in it!

Like a lot of people, I'm hoping that Rei gets more screen time. For those of you who think that this is undesirable, I'd refer you to the manga.

Darknemo2000
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darknemo2000 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:52 am

Well I would like everyone to have more screentime, but lets be realistic...

Look at the overall time for four movies. Its rather short so, while I have no doubt that Rei and Koworu should get more scenes , others would be lucky if they had just as much depth as they had in original, but I am sceptical about that.

I personally think that a lot of Asuka's and Misato's scenes might be cut out. Well maybe Misato would have some luck and wont be reduced to second hand character as she is one of the main characters in the original, but I think that Asuka will be reduced to one demensional side character that has few andomly thown in angsty scenes, something similar to the same shallow blonde karate-chick Asuka in Sadamoto's manga.

I dont think that Kensuke or Touji migjt have some extra time boost as well. Sadly. But its just my guess. I am allways pessimistic about things, after alll...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 05, 2007 8:09 am

I knew Darknemo's post was going to say something about the manga before I actually read it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat May 05, 2007 9:42 am

CorporalChaos wrote:Meh, they could expand on the fourth bridge bunny. For starters, we could get a name...

who is this?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat May 05, 2007 10:09 am

slothen wrote:
CorporalChaos wrote:Meh, they could expand on the fourth bridge bunny. For starters, we could get a name...

who is this?

Its a female that you see hanging around at the bridge in the first few episodes. Last episode I see her in is in the Operation Yoshima incident.

EDIT: Its the one in front, she's the only other one I've actually noticed elsewhere.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am

CorporalChaos wrote:Its a female that you see hanging around at the bridge in the first few episodes. Last episode I see her in is in the Operation Yoshima incident.

She's there in episode ten as well, sharing Mission Control with Maya and Hyuga. I call her Rally, on account of a superficial resemblance to a character from GSC.

Hm...

How does Chikuma Izumi sound?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:16 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:Image

EDIT: Its the one in front, she's the only other one I've actually noticed elsewhere.

She looks rather cute.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Hence her being cute automatically means she needs to take up space from other characters.

Nah, I'd rather learn something about that pale adult Shinji sitting next to her.

corintium
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby corintium » Sat May 05, 2007 6:59 pm

are you sure that that pale adult Shinji you are reffering to is a he, 'cos from my perspective it looks like it is a she. There's a rather sutil expansion on the chest area.......I wonder...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat May 05, 2007 7:01 pm

1-Actually spend more time on Rei. Don't "develop" her more but just show more examples of her being weird or stoic or something.

2-Actually develop Toji and Hikari more. They're pretty good but were underused.

3-As a standard heterosexual male, I of course am not fond of more Kaworu, nonetheless, a big complaint is that they introduce him WAY too late for such a major character. Introducing him earlier was thus smarter; but it does change the whole attitude of the project....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:52 pm

V wrote:1-Actually spend more time on Rei. Don't "develop" her more but just show more examples of her being weird or stoic or something.

2-Actually develop Toji and Hikari more. They're pretty good but were underused.

3-As a standard heterosexual male, I of course am not fond of more Kaworu, nonetheless, a big complaint is that they introduce him WAY too late for such a major character. Introducing him earlier was thus smarter; but it does change the whole attitude of the project....

More Rei would be nice. I felt like there wasn't enough of her. But her little time played an effective role. (Little time is compared to the main characters, not Kaworu time.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”