Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:46 am

Attempted to play Evil Zone. Unfortunately the voice acting was so monstrously terrible I actually couldn't play it.

Ugh.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Finished my Batman-ing earlier this week... still think Asylum was better than City, though there was a hell of a lot more going on in the latter.

Anyway, the last couple of days I've been working my way through Antichamber, a puzzle game exploring non-euclidian spaces and some very funky block mechanics. Not as fun or as polished as portal but still a good time for a cheap price.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

He CAN bite my shiny metal ass! AND BLOW HIS HEAD OFF! B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Armored Core V: Verdict Day

The Final boss IS AN ASSHOLE! Looking on youtube, I can't find a single instance of someone S Rank the SH*T and getting the minimum damage subquest without using both an Ultimate Weapon, and a co-player online.

It's the only Mission I have left, I've S ranked everything else, and even completed the 1-minute kill subquest for the Cart-wheeling crawlers partner on Mission 7-4.... actually I got it for both of them last time, really surprised me how effective Auto Cannons can be even when faced against a Kinetic Energy-resistant foe.

*EDIT*: BTW, seems some pretty big Eva fans are into this game
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Anyway, the last couple of days I've been working my way through Antichamber, a puzzle game exploring non-euclidian spaces and some very funky block mechanics. Not as fun or as polished as portal but still a good time for a cheap price.

The last time I played that game was *checks* exactly 11 months ago on this date. I remember getting pretty far but ultimately dropping it out of boredom more than anything else. The fact that it's "not as fun or as polished as Portal" is an understatement of just how far below Portal it really is. It's not that it was too hard, but the game just started to be frustrating more than anything else.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:49 am

It's definately much less user-friendly than portal and the logic of some of the puzzles is pretty damn twisted. More often then not the trouble with puzzles is you can encounter them before you can possibly solve them and it's not always apparent this is the case so you can easily waste a lot of time dicking around without something that will be trivially easy when you're properly equipped.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 am

May of been the 1st person in Ottawa to pick up a copy of Tales of Xillia 2 today, arrived just as the doors opened up of the store. Can't wait to play today!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Been playing Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D lately. I don't understand why people say the 3DS version of this game is bad, plays fine to me. And the framerate isn't that bad either, the only slow down is if there's like a bunch of explosions at once (like if you blow up a barrel and it blows up a bunch of others, the game might jutter for a second or two). Also photocamo is the best because Snake can have anime camo.

The amusing thing is I've owned this game since March of 2012 (and have owned any copies of MGS3 since like 2010) and I haven't beat the game once. (Was so close once though, I was literally right at the end of the game, then my sister saved over my save file)
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

So I just got done with another couple of random 'games' on my Steam backlog.

First, Little Inferno. Nifty aesthetics and Tim Burton-esque vibes don't save this pseudo sequel to the far more entertaining World of Goo. Where the previous was simple but with hidden depths, this is exactly as stupid as it seems and any depths hinted at are complete illusions. I think this could be best described as the sort of game Andy Kaufman would design, a hilarious joke at the expense of the audience. So basically, fuck this game.

Second, Dear Esther. Also fantastic aesthetics but here the depth is real... though not as I'd like it to be. This seems to have been created as an answer to the "are games art?" question, but the team forgot along the way that it actually needed to be a game. Really it's more of movie with about as much interaction, save replacing the play/pause buttons with the ability to walk or not walk (and no, there's no fast forward, thanks for asking). There's pretty much nothing to do here but slowly trudge around the island down semi-linear paths, listening to cryptic narration that gradually builds a story... and that's it, really. I didn't hate it though.

I also tried to play Anna, but it keeps crashing at startup and the support guys haven't responded to my email sent two days ago... so basically fuck this game too.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to play Kantai Collection outside of Japan? I know it's massively popular so I wouldn't be surprised if it was opened up to other countries, especially as it's a browser game and thus pretty easy to localize.

Eh, it's a game about ships. This is an Eva board after all- it would be remiss of me not to play it. Anno probably nerdgasmed when he found out about this game.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:45 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to play Kantai Collection outside of Japan? I know it's massively popular so I wouldn't be surprised if it was opened up to other countries, especially as it's a browser game and thus pretty easy to localize.

Eh, it's a game about ships. This is an Eva board after all- it would be remiss of me not to play it. Anno probably nerdgasmed when he found out about this game.

Yeah, there's an English-language wiki that has all the instructions you'll need. ...I haven't bothered yet but I have thought of it.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Cross posting from the Youtube thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrMivdZ-mbI

Just watched this video about how video games changed this quadriplegic's life and gave him a purpose. It's seriously touching and nearly brought me to tears. Stories like this are why I get so defensive about gaming, and why I hate when people trivialize the medium as "just games."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 pm

I've been playing DotA since the 7th grade. Started with the map for Frozen Throne and now I'm trying to get a 3K MMR on DotA 2 (some of my friends are already over 4K). My friends and I got into it because we had great times playing together. We would laugh and get pissed off for losing and stuff. Back then we also played games like Call of Duty 4 and Counter Strike, though we primarily just play DotA 2 now. Occasionally we'll play CS.

I've also recently been playing a lot of NBA 2K. On MyCareer I've won two championships with the Knicks. I'm with the Heat now, so my stat line has kind of suffered. I don't score, assist or rebound as much since I'm not the only good player on my team this time around. Carmelo left the Knicks after my first year with them, so I pretty much carried the team for the next year. I'm also starting to get bored of the game. I'll probably get 2K15 when it's released and play that for a while though.

I've been itching to continue playing my Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill collections, but I can't find them anywhere. I especially want to play Silent Hill, as the reactions to PT have got me interested. I'll try to at least have played the original trilogy before Silent Hills is released, I just hope all the puzzles don't end up being as esoteric as the last one in PT.

I'll probably get a PS4 when the time comes to play MGSV. Will there be an MGSV + PS4 bundle released? If so, I'm definitely getting that.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 am

Holy shit another DOTAbro on EGF. Hit me up on Steam sometime muh African-American brother. Went through some serious burn out there where I didn't play for like 7 months but I've been feeling the urge again and been slowly getting back into it.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Holy shit another DOTAbro on EGF. Hit me up on Steam sometime muh African-American brother. Went through some serious burn out there where I didn't play for like 7 months but I've been feeling the urge again and been slowly getting back into it.

I've been meaning to get into the game since I've never played before (excluding one or two bot matches). My steam name is NGxscoot. You already have me on steam, I think, but it's been a while since I've posted here.

Otherwise, I've been making my way through Last Window, and lots of Dynasty Warriors 8. LW is a great mystery novel with a crappy set of puzzles and minigames to slog through, and DW8 is basically a Chinese genocide simulator. Seriously, I killed 300 people in the tutorial.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I've been itching to continue playing my Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill collections, but I can't find them anywhere. I especially want to play Silent Hill, as the reactions to PT have got me interested. I'll try to at least have played the original trilogy before Silent Hills is released, I just hope all the puzzles don't end up being as esoteric as the last one in PT.

Holy cow, no wonder Markiplier couldn't finish the game. But PewDiePie did, although he doesn't show how he did it (but he did trigger at least one baby laugh and seemingly on accident).

I get the sense that PT's solution was made so ridiculously difficult to figure out on purpose so that a legendry would develop around it and build hype for the game. I think they knew that even if they made it really esoteric, the collective intelligence of the modern interconnected world of gamers would figure it out.

And damn if it isn't an effective strategy. Listening to a video explaining how to get the ending is like when your friend told you when you were a kid how to make Bloody Mary appear in your bathroom mirror. Or like any other secret ritual with a magical effect at the end, but this one is real. Or like a creepypasta.

Now having said that, I'm not actually sure it was ever meant to be quite as esoteric as that video makes it out to be. For example, the process of figuring out "Jarith" seems ridiculously convoluted. Even if the video presenter did figure out a process to consistently get the ending, I question how many of the requirements he believes are necessary are actually necessary.

I'll probably get a PS4 when the time comes to play MGSV. Will there be an MGSV + PS4 bundle released? If so, I'm definitely getting that.

I got my PS3 as a bundle with MGS4. History might repeat, but after all this P.T. business I'm seriously considering that I might get one to play Silent Hills if it's as awesome as the P.T. promises. And damn is P.T. going to be hard to live up to.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:
I've been itching to continue playing my Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill collections, but I can't find them anywhere. I especially want to play Silent Hill, as the reactions to PT have got me interested. I'll try to at least have played the original trilogy before Silent Hills is released, I just hope all the puzzles don't end up being as esoteric as the last one in PT.

Well, the original trilogy had a lot of odd puzzles as well. Often there would be hints in notes or visual clues but they could be difficult to figure out in the dark with monsters chasing you. For example, at one point in SH3 you have to set fire to a certain painting in order to progress, but in order to do so you need to find a pork liver of all things and a key which is hidden in a vending machine.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:13 am

I just had this ... amazing session of Fragile Dreams.

SPOILER: Show

So as I mentioned last time, I was introduced recently to this new character, Crow, only like the second other named character met thus far in the entire game. I've just completed the section of the game that focuses on him, and the ending was, well... It was everything I could have hoped for.

At the beginning of this "chapter", Crow steals Seto's locket. Most of what happens in between is just sort of time-wasting, but also character-building. It builds Crow up as a big jerk, is what it does. He taunts Seto repeatedly, and is really mean about not giving him his locket back, leading him on wild goose chase after wild goose chase, through challenge after challenge. Seto pursues him through more shit than I would have tolerated, that's for sure. And through all of that shit I kept thinking:

God damn, I want to kiss this boy.

He's just so cute. He's clearly some kind of cat-boy, given his eyes and teeth. He's also got an awesome sense of dress that, for lack of a better way to describes it, gives him the air of, um... someone into people of his own gender? Especially that hat. And normally that kind of thing is actually a turn-off for me (I don't find stereotypical "flaming" qualities attractive at all), but on him, oh man, it just works. And his personality... Being the kind of jerk that he's being is just part of the charm, the same as a tsundere's frown. And I had a guess within me that he was really just putting up some kind of front anyway, and that soon enough he'd prove to be an ally, just hiding his true feelings under some veneer.

Lo and behold, on that long journey chasing after Crow, Seto comes upon a book in an underground area, called "Pirate Isle" (or "Shounen Kaizoku no Boken" in the Japanese voice-over). Funny story: At this point, I actually turned the game off because it was getting to be bedtime, and I knew what was going to happen: that the book would prove very revealing about Crow's personality, and build that first plank in the bridge of empathy toward him from the player.

And it did. The next session -- this session -- I was treated to a little story that made it clear that what Crow had been doing all along was only try to make a friend the only way he knew how, from the example in the book, in which two boys, one a pirate, become friends after the pirate-boy is a jerk to the newcomer to the isle. The hint -- which Seto points out, unsubtly but suitably to the style of the game -- is the dialogue, which Crow used line-for-line in his first encounter with Seto.

That's not even where the magic happened. After that, a short trek through some more underground, and then a sorry excuse for a boss fight, Seto catches up to Crow back at the fairground where this all has taken place, where Crow is waiting for him up on the central box of a Ferris wheel. Seto climbs up, and while taunting him Crow accidentally slips, dropping (more like flinging) the locket right into Seto's hand and falling down, down, down into the merry-go-round far below with a terrible crash.

Crow had showcased superhuman leaping and landing ability up to this point, but something like that? Given what happened last chapter, it didn't take long for me to realize he might well and truly have died. Is that what the theme of this game is going to be, I wondered? That everyone poor, lonely Seto meets has to leave him like this? When I went to him at the merry-go-round and Crow remained silent and still for what seemed far too long in the ensuing cutscene, something like that was what was going through my head, in a wordless form.

My relief when he spoke again moments later made me smile.

After that was the bonding scene I'd been expecting since probably as far back as first meeting him, and I got more than I bargained for. There was the expected stuff, of course. They sat on a bench-like thing together, shared a little bit of history, Crow showed Seto his keepsake (a photo, with Crow and some old man whose identity isn't explained but who is wearing a lab coat, suggesting to me that Crow is some kind of lab creation) and they shared their respective goals (Crow to find the place in the photo, Seto to find the silver-haired girl he encountered once briefly much earlier in the game). During their interaction, I felt the heat of their closeness -- not because it was intended, but because that's just who I am. There were no closeups of close hands, no blushes or fumbled words (I'm referring to Q here, obviously). It's just that they were two cute boys bonding, or more importantly, one cute boy I couldn't help but think about as I watched him, and the boy who was my avatar in the game, and I thought, wordlessly, again, about how much I wanted a kiss from that boy.

And then he kissed me.

I couldn't believe my eyes. My jaw dropped. This thing that I wanted to see that was just one of my typical flights of fancy that happens when I see two cute boys bonding... It actually happened! And it wasn't anything quick -- it lingered, long enough for its essence to really sink in, that sense of two sets of soft lips meeting and resting together gently, transferring that vital intangible essence between two people in a mutual exchange, forming a connection.... It felt like an eternity. I remember just staring for what felt like several seconds, in such complete shock.

Seto echoed that shock moments later, of course, falling back suddenly in appropriately exaggerated surprise. (All dialogue reproduced imperfectly from memory.)

"W-w-w-what was that?!" Seto stammered.

"A kiss. Because that's what friends do," Crow said. He touched his lips. "I read that somewhere."

"B-b-b-but that was my first kiss! My first kiss ever!"

"Then I guess that makes me your number one buddy, doesn't it." He extended his hand to help him up.

This game... This game was made for me. :hahaha:

Just... Damn. Why isn't there more stuff like this in games? More moments like this? It wasn't played for laughs. Maybe it was, but I got the full enjoyment out of it as if it hadn't been.

:heart: So doki-doki content right now. Going to bed happy this morning. Wa~~
System Administrator

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 pm

Just finished all of the GBA Castlevania games. I still for the life of me can't understand why people have such a distaste for Circle of the moon, sure it was the launch title but it was still a good addition to the series, reminds me of the old games in the sense that it could really kick your ass. Anyway, it's kind of sad that that only recently I found out that Cotm is no longer part of the main time line.(I know it's old news, but it's still kind of a bummer.) At some point I'll move on to the DS titles I'll just have to find them first.

I might also dust off my old PlayStation and start SOTN all over again.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:52 am

Mostly it was hated because it was nearly impossible to see on the original non-backlit GBA screen (hence why the following games are almost cartoonishly bright by comparison) and also because the controls just feel off... everything is far too 'floaty' for action on such a small screen.

The music is pretty great though.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 am

Been playing a bit more Skyrim. To my amusement, the castle mod I acquired seems very nearby to several giant camps. So now I'm going to have to tell Giants to GET OFF MY LAWN. Thank the divines for the ridiculously overpowered arrows I downloaded. *FWIP*

(Not that it really matters because I fast travel everywhere, but eh.)

Also picked up a gem in Gamestar- Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. I have yet to play it, but I'm eagerly anticipating the gameplay and dreading the notoriously awful voice acting...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”