Asuka helping Shinji

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thomas68
Lilith

Asuka helping Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby Thomas68 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:19 pm

After our [s:q30xdjol]retarded[/s:q30xdjol] unchancy main hero Shinji almost caused 4th Impact, EVA 13 was disabled and Shinji was captured. In the meantime, Shinji is in catatonia and our secondary loudmouth hero Asuka has taken him with her along with Rei to find the Spears.

As some topics discuss how 4.0 will fix all this clusterfuck our hated King Anno created in 3.0, I wanted to discuss how on earth a [s:q30xdjol]nagging bitch[/s:q30xdjol] agressive person will help emotionally a [s:q30xdjol]insane[/s:q30xdjol] mentally unstabled passive person.

This topic is about the actual state of mind of the characters and their personality and not how Shinji will try to fix [s:q30xdjol]if possible to fight alongside a army in tatters against a more powerful army that made them its fishbait in their plans countless times and could destroy them mercilessly[/s:q30xdjol] all the situation showed in 3.0.

What do you think? Can Asuka help Shinji in some way or should Shinji be held to someone [s:q30xdjol]less psychotic and bitter[/s:q30xdjol] more stable like Misato? [s:q30xdjol]If she does even have time to deal with Shinji's insanity.[/s:q30xdjol]
I've got nothing better to do, so I have registered myself here!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 pm

We're now in the "drag Shinji around and do some exposition at him, before dying heroically in an act of self-sacrifice" part of the story, I'd say.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Asuka helping Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:25 pm

View Original PostThomas68 wrote:I wanted to discuss how on earth a [s]nagging bitch[/s] agressive person will help emotionally a [s]insane[/s] mentally unstabled passive person.

The next scene but two of my fic will give my answer to this question; but I won't pre-empt that here!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Asuka helping Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:49 pm

View Original PostThomas68 wrote:In the meantime, Shinji is in catatonia and our secondary loudmouth hero Asuka has taken him with her along with Rei to find the Spears.

Find the Spears? Nope, they're apparently looking for an area to be picked up by Wille's crew since "the L barrier" (whatever that means. Lilith?) is too strong.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah, it seems really ambiguous as to what's gonna happen. However, I will say that I don't think she'll be able to help Shinji by kicking him and throwing insults his way. All that's gonna do is just make him retreat further into his shell. It's less tough love and more kicking them when they're down.

The way it is set up, she seems to be taking over the role Misato played in EOE. Heck, her dragging him through the wasteland mirrors Misato dragging him through NERV HQ. Bonus points if she gives the whole "so f****n what if I'm not you speech".
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Looking at the situation...Asuka probably wouldn't be the person to get Shinji out of his shell, in her state at the end of the film. More than likely she would do more harm than good if she made an effort to. Getting Shinji out of his shell would more likely be accomplished by Sakura or Misato. Asuka would be better suited to serve as a mentor to Shinji after he gets his act together.

Thomas68
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thomas68 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Yeah, it seems really ambiguous as to what's gonna happen. However, I will say that I don't think she'll be able to help Shinji by kicking him and throwing insults his way. All that's gonna do is just make him retreat further into his shell. It's less tough love and more kicking them when they're down.

The way it is set up, she seems to be taking over the role Misato played in EOE. Heck, her dragging him through the wasteland mirrors Misato dragging him through NERV HQ. Bonus points if she gives the whole "so f****n what if I'm not you speech".

The difference is that Shinji must avoid the EVAs for a while at the same time Asuka is dragging him around. Shinji could be helped if Asuka [s]shut the fuck up[/s] was more patient towards someone in unresponsive state. Unfortunately, [s]asking Asuka to be patient or comprehensive is the same thing to try teaching a monkey to not throw scat in people or to ask a cat to bark[/s] is a hard thing for her to do.
I've got nothing better to do, so I have registered myself here!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Shikinami isn't Soryu. They'll be fine.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

View Original Postxyz346 wrote:Looking at the situation...Asuka probably wouldn't be the person to get Shinji out of his shell, in her state at the end of the film. More than likely she would do more harm than good if she made an effort to. Getting Shinji out of his shell would more likely be accomplished by Sakura or Misato. Asuka would be better suited to serve as a mentor to Shinji after he gets his act together.
I actually thought Asuka was pretty composed and kind (!) at the end of the film. I think she displays an affection for him despite all and I could very much see a Misato kind of scene--as someone else mentioned--going on to get him to start acting. I wouldn't be surprised if she started to show a bit of vulnerability in herself and explain how people do care about him because she had missed him for fourteen years, so stop being a self pitying "brat" and start considering what others want in his actions - play for the "right" team (Not Kaworu's)? He'll gaze up at her with wide eyes and say "Asuka....?" Though I wouldn't expect a kiss like Misato - that wouldn't be right.
Last edited by Sorrow on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

If Asuka dies in a noble self sacrifice I will flip this table over.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm

So it's good enough for Kaworu but not good enough for Asuka?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Soryu at least has a strong will to live, Shikinami doesn't seem too different. And in some ways, she's seemingly got her shit more together that's she's able to help the greater good, humanity. Something we never do (sure she helped in trying to save the world, but seemed more for personal reasons than anything "noble").

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Soryu at least has a strong will to live, Shikinami doesn't seem too different. And in some ways, she's seemingly got her shit more together that's she's able to help the greater good, humanity. Something we never do (sure she helped in trying to save the world, but seemed more for personal reasons than anything "noble").

What do you mean by we? Just curious about your conclusion?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Soryu (during the MP Eva battle for instance) seemed to be fighting more for herself than humanity (and understandably so), while Shikinami was seemingly able to overcome whatever issues she had in the past 14 years to do what needs to be done in helping to save humanity.

At least, that's what it so far seems like. Maybe Shikinami (like Misato) just does a really good job of holding her pain in.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Whatever happens to Shinji, I'm not quite sure Asuka's gonna be the only reason he'll snap out of it. Plus, she still has the MP Evas to deal with, if she even goes against them at all this time that is.

Though, I would find it funny if her fight against them ends up resembling this (it already sort of does in the preview shown after 3.33's credits).

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvlEO_-V-g[/url]
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 pm

It's simple. Anno recently told us that Final will be mathy.

Asuka is love.
Shinji is love.

Do the math and Final will end with SEKIHA LOVE-LOVE TENKYOKEN
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Wrong thread, TMB. Anyway, with 14 years gone and a whole lot of rage bottled up inside Shiki, having any kind of romance between her and Shinji is now out.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 pm

But, all you need is love.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:57 am

What I want to know is, Why? Why would Asuka help Shinji after everything he's done? She lost her eye because he would not fight Bardiel (that is the name right?), he destroyed Nerv headquarters and possibly the rest of Japan, deserted Wille and Fraternized with the enemy, set off ANOTHER impact because he would not listen. Etc. On top of all this he's been gone for 14 years and hes been nothing but a bad hate filled memory for her for at least that long.

Why help him? I'm not one for giving up, and he's obviously not going to die. but to paraphrase a comic book I read once. "Wouldn't it be more pragmatic and far more merciful for Asuka to simply put this poor suffering creature out of his misery?"

so why didn't she?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:05 am

And why did she call his name in the first scene? That alone is enough to make the point that pure hatred is not a sufficient summary of her feelings about him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”