Command & Conquer.

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

Command & Conquer.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:38 pm

What is your favourite C&C game?

Me(I need a title that says Banned Man Walking), I vote for either the first Red Alert (One of those games that got me into gaming), RA2(Cartoony Graphics, awesome G.I.s, and all of the superweapons), or C&C3.(I know that it's old-hat to bash EA, but I think they really delivered with C&C3, AKA the game that heralds the Patened GDI Ion Cannon smackdown.)

So... any takers?
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:47 pm

RA and RA2 are my all time favorite.

RA because of it's simplicity and RA2 because of it's high tech stuff.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:RA and RA2 are my all time favorite.

RA because of it's simplicity and RA2 because of it's high tech stuff.

I loved RA because A). It was the first C&C game I ever played, and B). It had an awesome retro feel . Yeah, sure, it was just C&C, but with different colours, but, durn it, I loved that game.

Tips:The Allies have a much better navy than the Soviets. The Sov's don't get any ships that can attack land targets until the expansion pack Aftermath, where it add kooky things, like Tesla troopers, Chrono tanks, Missle subs, and thunpers.

Now, to get back on topic, in both RA and RA2, the Allies have the better navy. RA1 has the gunboat, which can at least tie up attacking Heavy Tanks enough for your defensive turrets to finish them off. Destroyers more so, plus they have anti-air capabilities. Cruiser's because you need a good artilery warship.( Fun Fact: The Cruiser in RA1 looks modled off of the WWII era Iowa class Battleship, possibly the best battleship ever constructed in reality.)

In RA2, it's a much closer match, though I still give it to the Allies. The Destroyer's osprey's take a long time to reload, but their payload is just devastating. Aegis cruiser's are highly underated, and they can intercept any missle that a Dreadnought launches, and they utter neuter the Kirov airships.. Aircraft Carriers can wreak absolute hell on enemy bases and infrastructer.

The Sovs have Typhoon subs(Weird that Westwood would use a MISSLE SUB as a attack ship, but I digress. Worry about realism in C&C is like worring about the sun never shining: Totally useless.), Scorpians(Sea-borne flak cannons), and Dreadnoughts, which can still wreak some serious damage to an enemy position.

Land battles are a whole different kettle of fish entirely. In both games, the Soviet's have far tougher tanks, with much superior firepower, albeit at a higher cost, per tank. This can demostrated most in RA2, as it take three allied Grizzlys for every one Rhino. It take 6-7 Grizzly's to even try to take out an Apocalpyse tank(RA2's analouge of the Mammoth Tank), and it usually takes more. The Allies have the benifet naval firepower to soften up the enemy armor, and air superiority in RA2.

There's Tyrant's kooky solutions to RA games.

As for the Tiberium games(Same universe, except for RA2 and Generals), I have always been a GDI fanboi. C&C 3 only reenforces this, what Zone Troopers, Predator medium tanks(They fire 150mm Armor piecercing fin stabalized discard sabot, AKA APFSDS, AKA my acronnim is too long.), and Mammoth... Mark Threes!! I can Crush entire tanks now!! YEE-HAW!! (The Predator and Mammoth tanks get upgraded with some of the most truely nasty weapons every put into C&C... Railguns.)

Well, I'm done for now.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Rails guns!?!?!?!? Wow... I wouldn't expect to see that on the Mammoth tank :lol:
I'm assuming you have C&C3. You like it much?
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:38 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Rails guns!?!?!?!? Wow... I wouldn't expect to see that on the Mammoth tank :lol:

They are extremely high-velocity rounds that is capable of downing Nod's new tank, the Scoripian, in about three shots. Zone Trooper, GDi's heavy infantry that combines a Railgun and the Jet-Pack trooper from C&C:TibSun, but with out anything that made the Jet trooper so awful in the first place(Zone's have jet packs, but they are just used to move from A to B. GDI Commando's have them, and the Commando packs a Rifle that looks disturbingly like the Pulse Rifle from Aliens.. )

In C&C3, the reason why GDI has tanks this time out instead of Mechs is because jet-packs can be used on the legs, capable of crippling or destroying them. Therefore, in C&C3, the mech in service the Juggernaut artilery walker, which can fire on the move, and doesn't have to deploy in order to fire.

Also, Mammoth tanks still hock around missles like candy. Welcome to the hell-hole that is 2047. :lol:
I'm assuming you have C&C3. You like it much?


As much as the naysayers would have like to bitch and moan about EA, they honestly delivered with C&C3. The game is pretty much the best things of the C&C games put together. Get the game. You will not regeret one second of it if you are a C&C fan.

But don't take my word for it* :wink:
Cookie for reference.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:05 am

I just bought Lost Planet and I'm about to go on vacation. So I'll probably pick it up when I come back. (That's if my funds haven't depleted when I come back :( )

Couldn't you say it has a bit of Starcraft in it?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:51 am

Opteron-O3 wrote:I just bought Lost Planet and I'm about to go on vacation. So I'll probably pick it up when I come back. (That's if my funds haven't depleted when I come back :( )


Eh, there are much worse games to play than Lost Planet.

Couldn't you say it has a bit of Starcraft in it?


The Tiberium kind of looks like Starcraft crystals, because Tiberium gets retconned in C&C3, in that in the earlier games it was an organic, plant-like entity that sucked out any and all minerals. in C&C3, it's a much harder substance. In the red zones(The most heavily infested areas of the planet), there are canyons that are killed to the top with these huge, tiberium crystals that actually fill the canyon.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 270
Joined: Aug 08, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuthenticM » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:36 am

They are pretty much all good. All I can say is Tiberian Sun was the worst of the bunch (even though it was good). I really liked Firestorm, however. The missions were a lot better than in TS.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:07 pm

20XD6_Tyrant wrote:Eh, there are much worse games to play than Lost Planet.


It isn't that bad actually. I'm really liking the storyline, although it's lacking in something I can't quite put my finger on... But the action is there.

C&C3, how's Kane's army? I was surprised to see him come back.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:01 pm

C&C3 Nod is quite interesting, actually. They have Riflrmen, named Militants that can be infused with Tiberium. Yes, infused with tiberium, rocket troopers, Walking Flamethrowers, ETC. They have cloaking infantry, named the shadows, and their commando is a random chich that jacks up crap and all. They still have bikes and dune buggys, and both rock the hell out of GDI Orcas. The Scorpian Tank is the analog light tank, only when it get upgraded at your tech center, they , along with Venom attack choppers, get upgraded to friggin lasers. The Stealth and Flame tanks return, but NOD's real crown jewel on the ground in a Mech called the avatar, which can hijack certain special abilities. Sure, they cost 3000 bucks a pop, but they are absolutely devastating, when used well.

NOD no longer has subterranian units, beecause it was stated that EMP weapon platforms, scattered all over the world, redered them obsolete by hitting a certain part of soil, of which the STAPC is under. said safeguard then forces the STAPC to surface.

NOD has a good airforce this time out, in the venom and the Fighter-Bomber.(I forgot the name) The Venom jacks up infantry, and armor once it gets it's laser. The fighter-bomber, I think it's called the Phantom, not only is stealthed, but actually has a rear gun to deter Scrin and GDI air pursuers.

NOD still has the patenated Nuke from the Temple, which, as always, is nasty to get slapped with (GDI's Ion cannon is almost as bad to get hit with. By the time of C&C3, GDI has 43 Ion Cannons in orbit of earth.)

That's my run through of NOD's forces. Later on i'll fully do GDI and the Scrin (Yes, the same scrin from C&C:Tibsun.)
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Wow... I'm really enthused about getting it now!
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Wow... I'm really enthused about getting it now!

Good.

ANyways, I just ran through a skirmish against 2 brutal difficulty opponets, and 2 1 med, one easy. That was fun.

So, running through GDI's units.

Rifleman: Aren't that bad, actually. Riflemen, for a scant 300 bucks, can build garrisonable buildings. Rocket soldiers are the same for GDI as they are for NOD. Same with Engineers. Grenadiers are odd, in the fact they use Rocket-Propelled Hand-grenades. Yes, I am serious.

A new thing with Grenadiers and Flamethrowers is the fact that they can clean out buildings. Completely. Literaly, a single grenade creates an explosion in a building that only Michael Bay would be proud of.

Still, try to get the image of Rocket-propelled hand-grenades out of your head for a moment. GDI also has Snipers, which are not only stealth units, they also own Rocket-grunts with prejuice GDI also has their pateneded Commando's, now 40% more smart-arses! And pack rifles that look like the Pulse Rifle from Aliens!

Then we have Zone Troopers. Holy hotcakes, these guys are awesome. They pack railguns, which mercilessly shred buildings, have jump-packs, and can hold their own against even the heavist of enemy armor. The only downside is the fact that they cost 1300 bucks per-platoon, but nobody said war was cheap.

Now, onto armor. GDI has a dune-buggy called the Bulldog, which can do some nasty damage onto air units, and get upgraded with mortars at the tech-center(It's where most of NOD and GDI"s stuff is upgraded.), officially upgrading them to light-artilery. The Predator is the Medium Tank/Titan analog, and they, quite frankly, rock. Predator's are armed with the aformented 150mm APFSDS round standard. For comparison, now in 2007, the M1A2 Abrams tank fires a 120mm smoothbore round, typically HEAT, or Sabot rounds. Bob can explain better than I can. Predator's, as I said above, get upgraded to 150mm railguns.

Mammoth Tanks are armed with 150mm rounds, as well, and get upgraded to railguns, as well. Plus they still chuck rockets around against aircraft. Said rocket's are pretty devastating against venoms.

GDI APC's can carry only one squad of troops, but the troops can fire from inside, meaning a rocket squad and an APC can fire at the same time. Pretty effective, and the chaingun on the APC tears infantry a new cornhole very effectively. GDI, futher moree, can get a vehical called a rig, which can then deploy into a repair station with 2 anti-armor weapons.

As for aircraft, the ORca is still the friggin Orca. The Classic is still a classic, and shreds armor and power-plants as effectively as you would expect from an Orca. The new aircraft in the GDI arsenal is the Firehawk, a stratosphereic capable fighter-bomber. It uses firebombs, and is brutally effective against defense and armor. The Firehawk gets upgraded with stratosphereic capability which almost allows the thing to go from point A to B almost instantly on the map. Plus they are pretty quick.

GDI's main superweapon is still the Ion Cannon. by C&C 3, they have at least 43 of them in orbit, plus the new Ion Cannon effect is absolutely stunning
That is my run-through of GDI's units, for now.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Posts: 994
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Texas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Oh dear... I thought it was just an addition to Yuri's Revenge... I'm so wrong...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Jul 03, 2007
Location: Lurker at the Threshold

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Oh dear... I thought it was just an addition to Yuri's Revenge... I'm so wrong...

Wha?
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4951
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

China Marches on. BP

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I acknowledge it's likely the worst game in the series (well it, or its expansion), but I can't seem to get China's 1st Battle theme out of my head, and I haven't played the game in 6 years.

For all its fault, it had good music. The only classic CnC tune that plagued me like this was Hells March.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:53 pm

^I've always had a strange liking for the desolate apocalyptic techno soundtrack of Tiberian Sun, despite it being one of the less illustrious games in the franchise. Even now I can still hear Pharotek in my head.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4951
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Most likely at any rate. BP

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 am

Tiberian Sun was certainly the most atmospheric entry in the franchise.

While only bits and pieces of tunes come to mind for me (along with the continuous drone of the opening and closing gates ), that this was a gritty, morbid setting was never lost on me as a player. It actually managed to wore down on me on longer play periods.

Also: TB featured a hi-tech, self contained pyramids for command centers. This was only two years after Eva, and the same year EoE came out. COINCIDENCE?!? (Probably)
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 am

^Furthermore, in TW Nod has giant mecha (the Avatar unit), which are built underground and deployed to the surface like the Evas, and which can take parts from allied vehicles to power-up (a la Eva-01 vs. Zeruel) and in Kane's Wrath, you can build more powerful versions of these mecha from pyramid-shaped buildings (this version also has a "Rage Generator", although it can't affect itself). Bonus points for the pilots apparently being encapsulated in a "virtual sensory pod".

...Probably a coincidence, though.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you


Return to “Video Games and Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests