Studio Ghibli

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Hiromasa Yonebayashi is proving to be a strong director for Ghibli, but he hasn’t reached household name status like Miyazaki or Takahata have just yet. If they cultivate/guide that talent more, increasing his notoriety, he could be a key player along with Takahata in keeping good quality Ghibli films in production.

Given how Arrietty had screenplay by Hayao Miyazaki and still strong "control" from the old gang one can't really say he has been fully tested (anymore than Goro with Kokurizoku) based on it though he performed eminently well as director there.

That test piece is the current Marnie which was left virtually untouched by the old gang. Based on Japanese reviews I've read it has been pretty well (if not rapturously) received by critics but its performance at box office has been somewhat disappointing. The target audience of high school girls is drawn in for sure but the huge peripheral demographies Ghibli famously brings in theatre across the board has been rather passive.

Combine this with weak commercial performance of Takahata's newest (which performed well per se for normal feature but the production costs for it were gigantic) and it's not exactly strong ground - though of course company like Ghibli can take few hits like this.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:it's very unlikely that Takahata will start a new project in the next year or two.

More like ever. Takahata is ancient and going by Kingdom of Dreams and Madness it's very unlikely he'll make any new films.

AND if he did he'd probably croak before finishing it and in the process would lead Ghibli to bankcruptcy, given his infamous irresponsibility with money and schedules.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Keep in mind Kawakami is on khara's board of directors.

There has been rumour going on for a while in Japanese internet in connection to Ghibli potentially closing down production section that Ghibli's animator staff would go on to join Khara and current Eva production.

In the event Ghibli does close down the studio and become pretty much copyright management company it's certainly the most likely scenario, given how Khara is supposedly the only other animation house to have animators on salaries and close personal connections between Anno and Ghibli top honchos.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:But what will this mean for Nausicaa II? Will Khara just do it themsleves, or will it be a joint venture kind of thing?

There's zero reason to think "Nausicaa II"* is even in pre-production or anything. Only thing the news while back establish is that Miyazaki has given go-ahead to Anno if he one day wants to work on the material. This does not indicate there are any concrete plans for the film(s) and untill Rebuild is done with it's obvious Anno has his hands full with that production.

Now I won't be surprised if Anno decides to turn the 7-volume manga series into film trilogy or something after finishing Eva but I think we're talking about stuff 3-5 years in future in the best scenario. Whether or not production work is done at Ghibli or Khara then depends on which one if either animation studio exists at that point. Or they might've fused for all we know. :shrug:

*If the Anno Nausicaa ever materializes it won't be a sequel but a retelling based on the manga.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Studio Ghibli merges with DWANGO. They'll gain the whole 300+ number human resources, copyrights and broadcasting rights etc.

Dwango is a telecommunications and media company famed for Nico Nico Douga. They have close ties to Ghibli as is - Dwango's Chairman is former "apprentice" of Toshi Suzuki for example.

However since at the moment it looks like it'll be very difficult to catch up with Marnie's production costs (as said it has underperformed so far) the article cited also mentions it'll probably be "difficult" to keep the animation studio staff fully and there might be some "slimming" to be done. On the other hand given excellent quality of Ghibli staff they're certain they won't have problems in case this scenario becomes real.

So that's the new development - of course it doesn't per se mean anything regarding prospects of Ghibli's future as animation studio but this does mean end of Ghibli's independent existence already.

I guess this means Ghibli films will end up streamed on NND sooner or later...

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 pm

These past few days have been crazy, man!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Since I spoke of Marnie being well received by critics I guess I should have thrown some examples:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... -FnfmOjJUp

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/08/ ... al#!bwJDr6

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/review-wh ... hibli.html

It'll truly be pity if this ends up Ghibli's swan song feature.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Dwango sounds like some weird soda from Botswana.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm

While it might not necessarily be that, it is, for some, the source of their childhood.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Studio Ghibli merges with DWANGO. They'll gain the whole 300+ number human resources, copyrights and broadcasting rights etc.

Based Hiroyuki's company saving Ghibli.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:29 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Based Hiroyuki's company saving Ghibli.

Or NOT, God bless ever trustworthy Japanese mass media. DWANGO CEO calls bullshit on the news article...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Whatever happens, I hope this doesn't effect the US releases of Ghibli movies on blu-ray. It probably will...
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 pm

It sounds like Miyazaki might be willing to make another short film for the Ghibli museum. Also, the article goes into further detail about the studio's immediate plans.

Whatever happens, I hope this doesn't effect the US releases of Ghibli movies on blu-ray. It probably will...

How could this matter effect it? Disney made a dub for the Wind Rises, so I'm assuming there are plans for a domestic release here.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 am

It looks like 2 Ghibli movies are coming to Blu-Ray here, in the states.

Kiki's Delivery Service:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMPB4ME

Princess Mononoke:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMPB3VG

Both coming out November 18.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:46 pm

As I thought, Miyazaki will get an honorary Oscar from the Academy in November.

Also, I can't read Japanese, but there's parody comic written by Keiichi Tanaka staring all the Ghibli girls. I don't know what it says, but it shows Nausicaa drinking beer.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 am

This afternoon I had the chance to go and see The Tale of Princess Kaguya as part of my local cinema's partake in the New Zealand International Film Festival. It looked wonderful on the big screen, and as the critics say, the scroll-like animation was truly breathtaking in some scenes. I felt that the theme was handled wonderfully by Takahata, and as usual Ghibli have delivered (and a bit of a tearjerker at that). I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a larger audience (I guess that's what I get for being in a small town) but on the plus side I could enjoy the film in relative peace.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 am

Have now seen all of Ghibli's theatrical releases except for Princess Kaguya and When Marnie was There. The latest 4:

2 by Takahata:

Only Yesterday
This is a good one but not what I'd recommend to get someone into Ghibli's works, having some seasoning helps.

My Neighbors the Yamadas
The animation style is a departure from what you'd expect, but despite the families' wackiness, their story can be related to by any family.

Miyazaki to close it out:

Ponyo
Avoided this film and didn't see it when it came out as I thought it was too targeted towards kids and out of Ghibli's works I find it the most kid oriented, moreso than Totoro. Still, what these kids can do at 5.

Porco Rosso
Glad I saw this one last. There are similarities with Laputa (air pirates) and The Wind Rises (interwar period, aircraft design, influence of Italian engineering), and the flying sequences are great. Mononoke's my favorite Ghibli film, but Fio would be my Ghibli waifu:

Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:41 pm

I thought it would be better to post this here than in the news thread. A team of engineers in Japan was able to get a replica of Nausicaa's glider to fly, though not real well, but it's something. Now if they could get it light enough so someone can lift it over their head, that would be cool.

Edit: Also, Toshio Suzuki has revealed some backstory for Laputa.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-09-24/ghibli-suzuki-reveals-circumstances-behind-laputa-production/.79131

Apparently, the key to creativity is to be up to your neck in debt.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:29 pm

"I have tons of things I want to say about Takahata-san, -laughs- but Grave of the fireflies attracts my attention most. That's an immoral world, since it's a story of incest. And the image of death is lined up right behind it. In that sense, it was an erotic movie, and it gave me chills." - Mamoru Oshii

That is so Oshii. -o-;

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:03 am

For any of you who live near the San Diego area, the San Diego Asian Film Festival will be screening The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness on November 8th and again on the 11th.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Was able to hit up the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka during my trip. My ticket was bought overseas so it wasn't timed entry, although they did check my passport. Also, the staff has a high amount of English proficiency. It definitely helps to have watched all the movies, but isn't necessary.

Stayed there for about 3 hours as I had to get to Yokohama after although you could easily spend half a day. The museum isn't that large but you can really spend time in the exhibit rooms. Wish I had spent more time in the ones that are set up like a study and workshop.

The sit down cafe had a line so everyone else got hot dogs for the exorbitant price of 500 - 600Y that aren't that big. They also sell Wind Valley Beer (Nausicaa) but if you don't feel like bringing home the bottle, just pick up a bottle cap.

The ticket includes a movie pass to a short film screening in the Saturn Theater, which you can only see once. Saw Treasure Hunting, which was unsubbed.

The only knocks are the no indoor photography rule, otherwise it would have been hard for me to leave, and the store selection. Granted, there is much on offer but I did not find what I was looking for (shitajiki or anything I would've picked up for Mononoke), so I didn't spend that much and actually found these at 2 different Donburi Gardens in Kamakura and Yokohama. There are film strip bookmarks that come in a blind pack of 3 for several films (Ponyo, Spirited Away, From Up on Poppy Hill, Arrietty) that are reasonably priced at just over 500Y. Still it, was the busiest part of the museum that I visited. If you collect or like china, there is a good selection of that and the store also sells hand painted repros of cels from several films, but no Mononoke, which was disappointing, but it saved me nearly $400.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm

New Ghibi Releases For you:

North America

Princess Mononoke DVD/Blu-ray
Kiki's Delivery Service DVD/Blu-ray
The Wind Rises DVD/Blu-ray

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Anime and Manga”