Frozen's 1st Week in Japan Tops Eva's All-Time records

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:WHY DOES SHE HAVE ICE MAGIC? WHY DID THEY NEVER EXPLAIN THAT SHIT?

Its the suspension of disbelief that is required for all animated Disney Films.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

@ Xander

God Bless Hentai

@ Ray

And just about every Fantasy and Sci Fi film ever
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:WHY DOES SHE HAVE ICE MAGIC? WHY DID THEY NEVER EXPLAIN THAT SHIT?

Come on!
Evangelion leaves much more unexplained :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm

^
Exactly what I was going to say. :lol:

They're pretty much the same in tone and messages. The only differences I see is in execution, narration-style, and mood. And one apparently is more favorable than the other, hipster rants aside.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah, it's interesting to note that Elsa and Shinji aren't all that different.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Just gonna drop my two cents in the bucket here.

Cent 1: Frozen’s adorable nature makes it worth watching in it of itself.

Cent 2: It overuses it’s adorable nature to its own detriment. There isn’t a singe song written in a minor key, and any hint of the tragedy within the story that any song might have briefly highlighted is swept under the rug of happy tunes written in major keys and strong voices. It gets to the point where when a perfectly fine comedy-relief character enters the story and has a humorous song, there’s nothing from which the character should relieve the audience from. The audience didn’t need Olaf’s quirky “In Summer” song to relieve them from the exciting and powerful “Let It Go” song because one wasn’t emotionally tense before the other’s scheduled relaxing.

Now, if Frozen had a song that risked an unwavering look at the sense of longing resulting from the separation between the siblings, the movie might have faired better in my opinion. The movie would have been more emotionally rewarding due to the extremes being explored n the character arcs. But since every song is sung happily and without focusing any real sense of longing or loss for too long, the tension between the two sisters falls flatter than I feel it should have.

But nevertheless, it is an adorable movie. If you haven’t seen it yet, you probably should.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

Let It Go was originally supposed to be the villain song of the piece.

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:
When it comes to the content, Optimism isn't Naivety, and Cynicism isn't Wisdom.

Chuckman looked upon this post and said: It is good.

The origin of Elsa's ice powers does not matter. Free yourself from a meaningless need for irrelevant answers before it poisons your soul.

The important question is where did she get them hips. Mmmm.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:38 am

Disney employee wrote:There was no reason. This is just a world where people are born with powers.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 am

You posted another comment about the lack of (irrelevant) explanation for her powers and not about her hips.

For this you shall drink bitter waters.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 am

Forget the Ice powers, I'm more concerned about where the American accents come from since the story seems to be set in a version of Norway?

All kidding aside the movie is fun & it plays well all to audiences. Plus, it's a movie about women for women. I don't begrudge the film any success. It's very well done & if someone doesn't like it I'd argue more likely than not the film was not made for your interests.

Though I'm not looking forward to the movies Disney is gonna make to try & replicate the Frozen phenomenon. They were totally underprepared for Frozen becoming the hit it was - Disney didn't even have Elsa dolls out when the film was released, they lost millions in revenue - & I doubt we'll se that happen again anytime soon.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am

fucking scalpers grabbing the limited editions

a thousand fucking dollars on ebay

fuck you, toy buccaneers
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The origin of Elsa's ice powers does not matter. Free yourself from a meaningless need for irrelevant answers before it poisons your soul.

That fact that no one seems to have realized that he doesn't care saddens me.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:fucking scalpers grabbing the limited editions

a thousand fucking dollars on ebay

fuck you, toy buccaneers

Poor Chuckman. You want an Elsa doll that badly, do you?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am

I mean, caring about it is worthless. The answers I'm giving are coming directly from the source at the animation studios (I'm not allowed to disclose the names of the people answering, sorry.) There's no explanation. It just happens.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Let It Go was originally supposed to be the villain song of the piece.

I understand that, but that interesting factoid does nothing to the finished product when all is said and done.

Still, though. It’s not enough to make me hate the film. It’s just enough to make me feel substantially less invested in the characters than I think the filmmakers were intending.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I mean, caring about it is worthless. The answers I'm giving are coming directly from the source at the animation studios (I'm not allowed to disclose the names of the people answering, sorry.) There's no explanation. It just happens.

Look at Monkey's post. Now look at Ian's. Now look at Monkey's post again. Get it? You're answering the wrong question.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Meerkat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Meerkat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Well that's unsurprising. The Frozen's demographic is obviously wider than Rebuilds and it was widely marketed and very hyped.

Also, I fucking loved Frozen!

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:05 pm

I love both. Has anyone been reminded of the 7th Angel when you saw Elsa run across the water?

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 am

I haven't seen Frozen and I don't really want to. Never liked Disney animated films very much.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 am

Do you want to build a Eva?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:20 am

I haven't seen Frozen but i must admit that i am curious to see it to see if it's worth the hype, and to be honest, the Let It Go song is pretty good :)
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”