Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh god, not this again.

Pacific Rim is nothing like Evangelion. That is all.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:28 pm

View Original PostLegionWrex wrote:Oh god, not this again.

Pacific Rim is nothing like Evangelion. That is all.

...Hmmm where's that one quote where Del Toro said he hasn't seen the whole franchise yet.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 pm

The writer has seen Eva, and there are some things he’s placed in the screenplay that kind of, sort of look or feel like Eva in some way. And del Toro has said that he’s seen images from Eva, and he placed some inspiration from those in there without knowing proper context.

Ultimately, this is why I never subscribed to the Auteur Theory, especially in major Hollywood productions. Sure, there used to be simpler times and even today there are still simpler productions where the Auteur Theory may apply. But nowadays there are way too many cooks in the kitchen, egos to preserve, and studio mandates to maintain in order to entertain the idea that the any Hollywood summer blockbuster film is the singular vision of the director. The writer’s seen Eva, and that’s noticeable from watching Pacific Rim, even though del Toro didn’t realize or understand half of the references that might have slipped by him. So who get’s Auteur credit? No one, that’s who! Well, at best it’s split up between 4 or 5 departments (director, writer, producer, editor, and maybe the leading actors), because these multi-million dollar productions require too many hands on deck and big-name stars to allow for one man to be credited as successfully presenting his one vision for the film.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:01 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The writer has seen Eva, and there are some things he’s placed in the screenplay that kind of, sort of look or feel like Eva in some way. And del Toro has said that he’s seen images from Eva, and he placed some inspiration from those in there without knowing proper context.

The only things that kind of look like Eva are things that are ubiquitous in kaiju movies, super robot shows, or both.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:58 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The only things that kind of look like Eva are things that are ubiquitous in kaiju movies, super robot shows, or both.

True. The visual aesthetics are rather just a blend of various robot monster stuff. The mind-meld aspect to operating the Jeagers felt a little Eva-like to be, what with the pilots having to be “in sync” and all, which might be something the writer slipped in to the universe he wrote about due to his fandom of Eva. But then, that’s not an aspect of the film that del Toro has as much in charge of as it was Travis Beacham. (Again, this many creative heads in a production kind of annul any Auteur Theory interpretations of the work.)

Though, I’ll be honest and say that my only experience with conventional Mecha anime was Patlabor, Gunbuster, Mechagodzilla (in all incarnations), and a few episodes of BIG-O. So I’m not that much of an authority on the genre to claim that the mind-meld aspects of Mecha are unique to Eva.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:33 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:True. The visual aesthetics are rather just a blend of various robot monster stuff. The mind-meld aspect to operating the Jeagers felt a little Eva-like to be, what with the pilots having to be “in sync” and all, which might be something the writer slipped in to the universe he wrote about due to his fandom of Eva. But then, that’s not an aspect of the film that del Toro has as much in charge of as it was Travis Beacham. (Again, this many creative heads in a production kind of annul any Auteur Theory interpretations of the work.)

I've said it before, but I still don't get the connection there. Syncing with a robot and syncing with a living human being are very different. They're portrayed differently, none of the aesthetics are similar . . . where's the similarity beyond the word used to describe the process?

Though, I’ll be honest and say that my only experience with conventional Mecha anime was Patlabor, Gunbuster, Mechagodzilla (in all incarnations), and a few episodes of BIG-O. So I’m not that much of an authority on the genre to claim that the mind-meld aspects of Mecha are unique to Eva.

Syncing with machines is a super robot trope with some precedent (particularly when AIs are involved), and I think the exact mechanism used in PR has shown up before (though I can't recall the title). It's not unique to Eva by any means.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:41 am

Ah, see I guess I haven’t watched any super robot shows. Looking up the sub-genre, titles like Gundam appear to be in there, which del Toro has been a fan of for a while. So, I guess that makes sense.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:15 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Ah, see I guess I haven’t watched any super robot shows. Looking up the sub-genre, titles like Gundam appear to be in there, which del Toro has been a fan of for a while. So, I guess that makes sense.

What?

No no no. Gundam is father of the entirel real robot genre, pretty much systematically defined through negation of earlier super robot style anime.

(as for Eva, it fits better in super robot than in real robot category - but in the end it's just Ultraman fanfiction anyway)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

G-note. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:32 am

^Just to say It might have been G Gundam that he saw listed.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 pm

^ Watching it rite now on HBO. Gyspy Danger shoulda went berserk and used its A.T. Field on the first Kaiju.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 pm

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndBiSyOrK4[/url]

Kaiju Boner. PACIFIC RIM II in 2017. Animated series to come out between films as a bridge.

I heard one idea Del Toro had that was saved for a potential sequel was the idea of Kaiji/Jaeger hybrids. Needless to say I'm ready for this movie. Hell, we may even get to see Evangelion:Final between now & the release of Pacific Rim II.

*Also, not that release dates this far out should be trusted but TheHollywoodReporter says Universal has scheduled the film for an April 7, 2017 release date.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndBiSyOrK4[/url]

Kaiju Boner. PACIFIC RIM II in 2017. Animated series to come out between films as a bridge.

I heard one idea Del Toro had that was saved for a potential sequel was the idea of Kaiji/Jaeger hybrids. Needless to say I'm ready for this movie. Hell, we may even get to see Evangelion:Final between now & the release of Pacific Rim II.

*Also, not that release dates this far out should be trusted but TheHollywoodReporter says Universal has scheduled the film for an April 7, 2017 release date.

Awesome. Hopefully this one builds on the positive aspects of the first one and expands upon some of the mythology and setting. Also, sign me up for that animated series.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:45 pm

I hope the animated show turns out good!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:41 pm

It’s amazing what the success of the new Godzilla movie will do to reluctant studios.

Also, FUCK YEAH!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm

I really hope he's watched Evangelion by now, I want to see what he does when he is actually influenced by Eva.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Wasn't sure about a sequel, but I'll at least check it out (if I forget to check out the animated series in the meantime).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 am

I just hope the monsters have some personality this time. Seeing Godzilla cast that flaw of PR in high relief -- lame characters are forgivable in a monster movie, but boring monsters aren't. Gotta go for quality over quantity IMO.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:55 am

Honestly, I'm more excited about the animated series. The sky is the limit there as far creativity is concerned.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 am

^But will it be an anime, or something like the Animatrix? The former has lots of potential; you could give individual monsters arcs, for instance, and flesh out different Jaeger teams in all sorts of ways. That would be cool. But a one-shot . . . :ehh:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:11 am

Personally I liked the monsters in Pacific Rim more. They were colorful. In the new remake 99% of Godzilla's charm came from the fact he was fucking Godzilla: The King of All Monsters. Just don't fuck up the classic design & he'll work magic.

Though my favorite part in Godzilla 2014 was the MUTO meeting up & snuggling each other. So if Del Toro can get something like that on screen I'll be in heaven.

Return to “Film and Video”