[Manga] Free Full Color Evangelion manga (Sadamoto)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:23 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:I don't know, for me it feels like it seriously lacked... something. It feels like the intensity and composition of the colors wasn't handled too well or something, and it gave it a somewhat plain feel to it.

Looks fantastic to me. Deftly applied. Better being subtle without being too "watered down" than overwrought and heavy on the eyes.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 am

View Original PostDream wrote:So i guess i'm the only person here who wasn't too hot on the colouring.

You're not the only one.

I don't know, for me it feels like it seriously lacked... something. It feels like the intensity and composition of the colors wasn't handled too well or something, and it gave it a somewhat plain feel to it. Maybe it's just me though.

I'm not an artist, but I think you might mean contrast. The panels were orginally done in black ink, so certain techniques were used to make up for the lack of color (for example, various types of shading). So by adding the colors after the fact, it covers up the contrast that made it look good in black and white. That's why, in my eyes, the coloring seems a little slapdash to me. (again, I'm not an artist, so I hope I was able to make my point clear.)
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 am

Noticed the Comic Walker app on a tablet thing I use, and they have the full color chapter 1 Eva manga in English. Viz translation, so nothing "new", I think.

Tried screencapping for proof but it didn't work in this case. -o-;

Edit: It ends at the N2 Mine explosion, just like the Japanese version. I left "I like it!" for the feedback pop up. :nyao:

Edit 2: Here we go! Not sure why the pics are so tiny, but you get the idea.

Image Image
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Noticed the Comic Walker app on a tablet thing I use, and they have the full color chapter 1 Eva manga in English.

Their site has it in english too, you just have to change the language settings on the top right of the page.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Indeed, the apps select English for me automatically.

I see the next chapter is to be released on 22 April. At one chapter a month, the whole will take, um, eight years to arrive. The description implies that the colouring is Sadamoto's own, so that speed seems par for the course...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Just FYI, those 2 screenshots are from the English version Comic Walker app. It automatically went into English for me, too. Nice to see they're getting an international market going with both the app and website!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Do you think we are gonna see a printed color version anytime soon?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Remember, we haven't even got the final volume of the black and white yet!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just FYI, those 2 screenshots are from the English version Comic Walker app. It automatically went into English for me, too. Nice to see they're getting an international market going with both the app and website!

Thanks for the info kiddo. Very cool to know.

I would be very impressed to see them convert the entire run. I may have a sixth version of the manga to buy. :lol:

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Remember, we haven't even got the final volume of the black and white yet!

Thanks for reminding me. :explode: :argh: :fistshake:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 am

I'd just like to remind you that historically speaking, it took several months from the release of the last stage in a volume to the release of the tankoubon, and then 6-12 months from that for the Viz release. So in the past, it took between 9-15 months from final stage to English release. Right around now is the absolute earliest we could have expected it with the way they used to release, without the added effort of simultaneous release. We're right around the point where we can expect to hear something along the lines of a release date.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm

This should be closer/identical to the actual quality offered on the site:

Also Comic-Walker is Kadokawa's thing who publishes Young Ace, the mag where NGE was serialized in.

PsyBear
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PsyBear » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:19 am

The direct link to the stages in English is this:
http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_CW01000003020000_68/

To see the stages follow this links:
Stage 1-1
http://comic-walker.com/viewer/?tw=1&dlcl=en&cid=KDCW_CW01000003020001_68

Stage 1-2
http://comic-walker.com/viewer/?tw=1&dlcl=en&cid=KDCW_CW01000003020002_68

Stage 2
http://comic-walker.com/viewer/?tw=1&dlcl=en&cid=KDCW_CW01000003020003_68

I was trying to get the real dimension of the images reading the code of the website, but they're using javascript to render the images in a very weird way.

Apparently they have cut in pieces the images, like a puzzle, and then they re-arange them using code.

Here's 3 images from the site so you can understand better what I'm saying:

http://delivery.comic-walker.com/production/delivery/KDCW_CW01000003020001_68/100/epub_brws_fixedlayout/VGA/00/item/xhtml/p-001.xhtml/0.jpeg

http://delivery.comic-walker.com/production/delivery/KDCW_CW01000003020001_68/100/epub_brws_fixedlayout/VGA/00/item/xhtml/p-cover.xhtml/0.jpeg

http://delivery.comic-walker.com/production/delivery/KDCW_CW01000003020001_68/100/epub_brws_fixedlayout/VGA/00/item/xhtml/p-002.xhtml/0.jpeg

I have not so advanced scripting skills so that's all the far I can get, if anyone could help me to get the Images in their real form I would really appreciate it, 'cause It could be useful to create translations in other languages.

See Ya!
PsyBear

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Eh, add me to the list of those who think that this looks rather bad. Granted, I might be a bit biased since I like the black & white/gray-scale style of Mangas, but that's not to say I'm against colored Mangas at all. That is, if they're colored to begin with.
If you're going to convert it, you better do a good job at hiding that it was something else before. Which doesn't seem to be the case here at all, this is just adding a color layer and use a cheap airbrush effect. The aforementioned color composition/intensity, someone up there said it's good that they're more subdued, but (outside perhaps the character's skin tones) they aren't. Quite the contrary, they are usually too intense (a mistake I make myself too often, as you often don't notice until later), which is all the more highlighted when there's little to no coloring around a colored object. Misato's alpine isn't a realistic blue, it's a bright, cartoony blue.

Why not try to emulate Sadamoto's watercolor style? There are tools/brushes for that kind of thing too. Or if that's too much work, how about more cell-shaded?
Either way, really, just drop that cheap airbrush/smudge look! For something official, that most of all makes it look incredibly amateurish, like they gave this to some intern with basic Photoshop knowledge.

But okay, it's apparently free, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that they wouldn't put too much work/money into it. But in that case, why bother at all?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Bought the first volume recently. Heres my general opinion.

1. The art is gorgeous and textured, while at the same time keeping a semi-simplistic anime look for the characters. If I do have a minor complaint its that Sadamoto seems to be a 'slave to the close-up' when it comes to anything other than the battles and a few establishing shots.

2. It's pretty much 1.11 the manga. Aside from some Misato fanservice there really isn't anything new to the Manga that I haven't seen in the series or rebuilds

3. With maybe one exception. Manga Shinji is kind've a jerk. I mean he's not irredeemably assholish or anything, and I've only read the first volume. But to me he comes off as kind've a jerk. the first thing he does when Misato asks him to stay with her is close off and get angry about it. That's a new things for Shinji, Rebuild Shinji didn't have the same issue,

4. I liked the extra moments we got to spend with Kensuke and Shinji camping.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:19 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:2. It's pretty much 1.11 the manga. Aside from some Misato fanservice there really isn't anything new to the Manga that I haven't seen in the series or rebuilds

The manga is supposed to be an adaptation of the series, the main differences are
SPOILER: Show
Shinji's personality, Gendo being a pure psycho, the LAS teasing being almost inexistent, a lot more of interactions between Shinji and Rei, some Angels that doesn't appear, a key difference with Bardiel, Kaworu, a certain infamous scene being removed and the very end of the story.

View Original PostRay wrote:3. With maybe one exception. Manga Shinji is kind've a jerk. I mean he's not irredeemably assholish or anything, and I've only read the first volume. But to me he comes off as kind've a jerk. the first thing he does when Misato asks him to stay with her is close off and get angry about it. That's a new things for Shinji, Rebuild and Manga Shinji didn't have the same issue

You better get used to it, 'cause that's Manga!Shinji's default personality, he's a huge smartass at times, which paradoxically makes him have a far better relationship with Asuka. (they have what could be called a solid friendship)
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Manga Shinji is kind've a jerk.

See the quote from Bagheera in xanderkh's sig.

PsyBear
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PsyBear » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 pm

You can download the Stages 1-4 in English or Japanese in .CBR format from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6vs0acjjv6ols/Evangelion_Manga_Color

See Ya!
PsyBear

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”