Issues With Runtime: How Long Does Final NEED to be?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Issues With Runtime: How Long Does Final NEED to be?

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Yeah. . figured I might as well post this, since nobody else appears to have dedicated an entire thread to it.

RUNTIME OF FINAL!

Anyway. . .the biggest issue a lot of people (myself included) have with 3.0 is the setup its left us with for Final. Each of the previous Rebuild Films have had a 90 to 110 minute runtime. So in that vein, Final will probably only have a 90 Minute runtime.

That is where the problem arises. . . we will likely only have a 90 minute runtime and so much ground to cover, at least in order for it to be a modestly happy ending (Thats not to say Anno isn't planning for Final to be a tragic ending, in which case we don't need everything to be explained or every character developed, but that's another thread entirely).

When it comes to explain the characters changes, the state of the world, getting Shinji out of his depression even though he has literally no reason to continue, developing Rei Q as a character, Shinji getting some kind of reconciliation with Misato, Asuka and Company, and giving Mari some development as a character. And at least one big ass fight scene, is 90 to 110 minutes really going to be enough?

In all seriousness thought. . . If I have to choose between a decent and compelling tragic and endlessly sad ending. and a rushed crowded slipshod of a mess of a happy ending. I'd prefer to choose the former.

Anyways. . . lets have a decent and real discussion about this. How long does Final/4.0 need to be? I just hope Anno knows what the hell he's doing. . .

:shinchair:

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:20 pm

You expect the TV development of a character into a series of Movies ?
How ???

They are Movies not Tv shows of 20+ episodes

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 24, 2014 2:25 pm

I know that! I'm just nervous about final! thats all! This post is my anxiety incarnate!

I'm not asking for the Rebuild films to have the same level of development as the show. . . I'm just concerned that the setup Final left us with, left too many plot and character holes unfilled. And that Final wont have enough time to fill them all in. . .

I'm concerned! Thats all! I'm not that kind of a fan!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 24, 2014 2:31 pm

No I do not believe that will be enough time but, I believe that Final will be longer than the other films and if not, maybe Anno is planning something afterwards.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:36 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I know that! I'm just nervous about final! thats all! This post is my anxiety incarnate!

I'm not asking for the Rebuild films to have the same level of development as the show. . . I'm just concerned that the setup Final left us with, left too many plot and character holes unfilled. And that Final wont have enough time to fill them all in. . .

I'm concerned! Thats all! I'm not that kind of a fan!

EoE did the shit so why Final would not ?

Let's wait for the run time announce and even with an official troll run time of 15 minutes , let's see it and wait after to make judgement
I mean 3.33 is shorter than 2.22 right ? i can be mistaken but that means 2.22 have more stuff in it ?

I think they will find a way

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 24, 2014 2:41 pm

EOE pulled it off because it was a tragic ending, and tragedy doesn't always need a long runtime.

Don't get me wrong, EOE is a good movie. . .but I DO NOT think in any way shape or form, that it is a happy ending.

and I want Final to be a happy ending, and for that you need more than 85 mins of Runtime. But that's another thread for another time. . .

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:15 pm

Honestly? I don't think we're going to have every question addressed in FINAL. By now, the two plot points that matter most are:
1) The conflict between neo-NERV and WILLE.
2) Shinji deciding on what his place is in the new world. What will he do now after everything that happened to him in the last movie?

I would have preferred if instead of a fourth movie, we got a new series depicting what happens next. That would be a lot more interesting than what FINAL looks like it'll be. But you never know, eh?

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm

^
I think we should also add a 3rd addendum to that list:
3) How will Shinji reconcile his relationship with Misato, Asuka, and Rei?

THAT, I think, is probably one of the bigger key points that needs to be addressed in the next movie, and I think 120 can suffice to at least answer those questions. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat May 24, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm hoping for 105-115.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 24, 2014 3:57 pm

^
I want a full 120-150

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat May 24, 2014 4:00 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
I want a full 120-150

That doesn't seem all too likely though. I'd LOVE for Final to cross the two-hour mark, but realistically, it probably won't.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 24, 2014 4:52 pm

If other Japanese animated films are anything to judge by, FINAL could have a possible run time of up to 165 minutes, assuming that it doesn't break any records. Like Chaddy, I personally would like to see the film at the very least hit the 120 mark. However, I think that this is the rare movie that risks having too short of a run time. It's the climax of a tetrology that will have gone on for nearly a decade; the final film must be worthy of being the final piece of the puzzle. That is, until somebody reboots it in 11 years.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I have the feeling FINAL is either going to be the shortest or longest Rebuild feature. It won't fall in between.

Either Anno will just double down on 3.0's focus & Final will just be an 80 minute about Shinji with everything else given little scraps of screen time.

OR

Anno will keep the focus on Shinji but allow everyone & everything else to get ample screen time to close out the story.

Hopefully we'll get some bit of news about the movie before the year is up.

*I'm hoping for a longer runtime & maybe Anno having just worked on Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" (runtime 126 minutes) will give him the confidence/desire/whatever to let Final run a little longer.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I will be very unhappy if the final movie is as Shinji-centric as 3.33. Evangelion is not just about Shinji. It's about the full cast of characters. FINAL is going to need to have a wider focus, and that's going to take more time than a movie focused on Shinji.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 pm

^

Well, Final is going to be Shinji-centric, regardless, due to it being his story and have to explain how he's gonna get out of this mess that he's created. After all, causing TWO Impacts isn't something that it's going to be glossed over for Shinji in Final, and it's going to be a big part of how he's going to learn to accept the world.

The other characters are going to have their moments too, but Shinji is still going to be the center of it all at least, because he has to at least find something to give him a reason to live and move forward. Devoting more time to the others may be a benefit, cause we need to know more about the saviors of the world. However, it has to be a balance. Too much away from Shinji, and his development would feel forced or unfulfilled. To little, and we would get tired of him. It needs to either be right in between, or both stories superimpose over each other.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 24, 2014 5:06 pm

I said as Shinji-centric. Totally cutting away from him wouldn't work. Making the entire movie about him (a la Q) wouldn't work either. However, I think the movie will need some moments that don't contain Shinji, particularly if we're going to get any insight into the aftermath of what happened directly after 2.22 when Shinji was frozen inside of his Evangelion.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat May 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Hope it's near 2 hours. It definitely needs to be more than 90 minutes though.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:05 pm

1 year ago I was worried by this, but not anymore. It really depends on how you use the time.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 pm

As long as Disappearance.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•