Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm

When I play a game with multiple characters it annoys the hell out of me when they aren't mechanically distinct, so that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I want. I mean if you're going to go to the trouble of making these people with distinct personalities, why not use the battle system to charecterize them as well rather than rendering them just pixel-shaded hollow boxes for whatever abilities to be haphazardly poured into as soon as the cutscene ends?

Clearly I'm a weirdo though, since that seems to be not at all where things are headed. :irked:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:50 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:When I play a game with multiple characters it annoys the hell out of me when they aren't mechanically distinct, so that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I want. I mean if you're going to go to the trouble of making these people with distinct personalities, why not use the battle system to charecterize them as well rather than rendering them just pixel-shaded hollow boxes for whatever abilities to be haphazardly poured into as soon as the cutscene ends?

Clearly I'm a weirdo though, since that seems to be not at all where things are headed. :irked:

That's another reason why I think they made the original sphere grid so linear, to make the character classes more distinct and reflective of the characters who actually had personalities based off their class. After multiple play throughs, however, I'm pining for some variety and that's why I like the expert sphere grid.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm

So I was going to pick up FFXIV next week when I get the money, but having no experience with MMO's I am completely confused by the whole Data Center/World setup. What Data Center/World do I pick, which is the best one to go on as a new player? I plan on getting the 40 character standard subscription, so I would have plenty of characters to go on different worlds but I'd like to get it right the first time.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

MAGI_01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:So I was going to pick up FFXIV next week when I get the money, but having no experience with MMO's I am completely confused by the whole Data Center/World setup. What Data Center/World do I pick, which is the best one to go on as a new player? I plan on getting the 40 character standard subscription, so I would have plenty of characters to go on different worlds but I'd like to get it right the first time.


Well the data centers are split up into different regions. The Elemental, Gaia, and Mana data centers are the Japanese data centers. Aether and Primal are the North American data centers and Chaos is the sole data center for the EU. (Note: the NA/EU data centers are all housed at the same location in Canada so stuff like downtime is the same for both) As far as what exact world to pick that would be good for a beginner? I have no idea.

Myself and a few other members on here are on Cerberus, which is an EU world.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Avatar: Mephisto Pheles.
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I finally got Final Fantasy XIV and I have been playing the ever loving crap out of it. Where in the story line do I get to do a Grand Company Quest and get a Chocobo? I'm currently at the Instanced Raid at Gridania. Speaking of which, Instanced Raids suck, I shouldn't be forced to work with other players on the main storyline. Not only do I have to wait for other players to find a party, but the first one I did, one of them was yelling at me because I wasn't able to keep distracting my enemies.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Ænimal
Banned
Posts: 832
Joined: Jun 04, 2013
Location: up in smoke

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ænimal » Fri May 02, 2014 11:36 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Where in the story line do I get to do a Grand Company Quest and get a Chocobo?


Quest to join a GC is at Level 20. You get your chocobo by acquiring a chocobo whistle for 2000 GC seals.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Speaking of which, Instanced Raids suck, I shouldn't be forced to work with other players on the main storyline. Not only do I have to wait for other players to find a party, but the first one I did, one of them was yelling at me because I wasn't able to keep distracting my enemies.


Asshole players are inevitable but if you don't want to play with other people then MMO's aren't for you

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat May 03, 2014 8:12 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Asshole players are inevitable but if you don't want to play with other people then MMO's aren't for you.

It's not that I don't like playing with other people, it's just that I would prefer not being forced to do it in the main story quest. If it was a one time thing to teach me about Instanced Raids and then letting me choose to do optional ones later on, that would be different. But now it's making me do another one to continue the story which I feel they're forcing me to play a certain way, something a game like FFXIV shouldn't be doing.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Melchior
Tunniel
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 29, 2008
Location: Central New York
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Melchior » Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Anyone play on the Sargatanas server? ^_^

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:Anyone play on the Sargatanas server? ^_^

I made my character in Gilgamesh....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Doctor Memory
Tunniel
Posts: 186
Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Location: deserting the sinking ship

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Doctor Memory » Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 pm

TheFriskyIan wrote:I shouldn't be forced to work with other players on the main storyline. Not only do I have to wait for other players to find a party, but the first one I did, one of them was yelling at me because I wasn't able to keep distracting my enemies.

...it's making me do another one to continue the story which I feel they're forcing me to play a certain way, something a game like FFXIV shouldn't be doing.
You kids and yer new-fangled theme park MMOs... Back in my day we played FFXI. We had to walk uphill at 5 malms an hour through level 30 mobs to fight a dragon boss that required six people and we didn't have no stinkin Duty Finder. We had to shout in town for a party and we liked it just fine!
We had to stealth our way through three level 50 dungeons to get our airship passes. And if we got spotted, it was back to the Home Point sans a good chunk of experience. You youngins get yours handed to you after three easy boss fights wherein NPCs are tripping over each other to help you out. You don't know how good you've got it.
:geezer:
What? Oh, hang on. I have to drink my prune juice now.

(I'm part of the Cerberus group, but I have alts on Gilgamesh and Balmung)
(Don't) Excuse Me UhClem, But You're (Not) Making the Doctor (Un)Happy.

Ænimal
Banned
Posts: 832
Joined: Jun 04, 2013
Location: up in smoke

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ænimal » Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm

^ You tell 'em, bub :D

Speaking of MMOs, there was another Live Letter today detailing a bunch of coming changes, namely with patches 2.28 (which has yet again been delayed (this is actually quite good for as me as i've still not gotten my Animus weapon)) and 2.3; lots of exciting info has been released

i can't find any official links with summaries or write-ups at this time but if you're on le read it just go over to the FFXIV sub and click the appropriate thread

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun May 25, 2014 8:36 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Speaking of MMOs, there was another Live Letter today detailing a bunch of coming changes, namely with patches 2.28 (which has yet again been delayed (this is actually quite good for as me as i've still not gotten my Animus weapon)) and 2.3; lots of exciting info has been released

Was this part of the letter?

Patch 2.3 was also thoroughly discussed with some confirmation and visual content regarding the upcoming “Ramuh: Lord of Levin” fight, “Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard)”, “Stone Vigil (Hard)” and the brand new “Hullbreaker Isle”. Also clarified for Patch 2.3 was the “Salvage” system which will allow high level crafters to disassemble higher level items for materials, “Daily Hunts” which involve fighting overworld monsters for points redeemable for Mythology Gear, Frontline PvP, The Crystal Tower continuation which featured a Concept Art showcase (located in the gallery below), Chocobo Raising, Private Housing rooms inside Free Company Houses, and the usual continuation of the Main Scenario Story and Hildibrand Story. Although some things in the list had little to no details, I expect we will receive such details in the next LIVE Letter.


Why can't they just give me my own private housing. I don't want a private room with my free company, I want my own house to myself!
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Ænimal
Banned
Posts: 832
Joined: Jun 04, 2013
Location: up in smoke

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ænimal » Sun May 25, 2014 4:05 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Was this part of the letter?


i don't speak Japanese; here's a write-up:

http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/3102-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Patch-2-28-and-Patch-2-3-Detailed

robersora
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 3989
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 am

So... does anyone here hope for infos about FFVXFOREVER at E3? Does anyone besides me even care for this game at this point?
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 26, 2014 9:10 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:So... does anyone here hope for infos about FFVXFOREVER at E3? Does anyone besides me even care for this game at this point?

You mean just FFXV? I really really want it, but I'm still really depressed over the fact that I got a PS3 just for Versus XIII only to have them release it on the PS4. Now I gotta but a bunch of other games for the PS3 to justify my purchase and I now need to get a PS4.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Dima
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:So... does anyone here hope for infos about FFVXFOREVER at E3? Does anyone besides me even care for this game at this point?


Someone on GAF who usually knows some things first hand said that the last time he heard about the games that will be at E3, FFXV wasn' there. But he said these things can change up till the last minute so who knows. I am not confident though.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

robersora
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 3989
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:You mean just FFXV? I really really want it, but I'm still really depressed over the fact that I got a PS3 just for Versus XIII only to have them release it on the PS4. Now I gotta but a bunch of other games for the PS3 to justify my purchase and I now need to get a PS4.


Yeah, it was meant as a reference to Duke Nukem Forever.

I am so happy I avoided buying a PS3, because I wanted to buy one just for Versus too! You should buy Ni no Kuni and Catherine and keep an eye out for the upcoming Persona5!

View Original PostDima wrote:Someone on GAF who usually knows some things first hand said that the last time he heard about the games that will be at E3, FFXV wasn' there. But he said these things can change up till the last minute so who knows. I am not confident though.


:rageface:
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 10084
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 am

I always thought that the "Versus" idea was stupid anyways. I'm glad the game has its own title now and is no longer associated with XIII. The recent teasers and trailers have re-sparked my interest in it, but I think it'll be one of those games I'll pick up on impulse when its cheap rather than getting it new.

KH3 is what I'm really getting the new console for. :lol:
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu May 29, 2014 4:04 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I always thought that the "Versus" idea was stupid anyways. I'm glad the game has its own title now and is no longer associated with XIII.

I thought the game was still set in the same lore?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 3908
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Location: Outer Space Jupiter
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I thought the game was still set in the same lore?

XV and XIII are the same universe, but with disconnected storylines, similar to VII, VIII, and X.

SPOILER: Show
According to the Ultimania guides, space travel is developed after X, based on the technology used to build the airships. They then use it to find the planet from VII, and the planets somehow lose touch. VIII is VII's world post-apocalypse.
avatar drawn by ToKki


Return to “Video Games and Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests