Flood Maps, or an easy way to have a look at post 2I Earth

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Fri May 16, 2014 1:49 pm

This came up in a discussion about Asuka's being from Hamburg:

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:It's actually mentioned in Episode 7, so obviously the port is still around in some form.

Again, like a lot of EVA stuff, what's underwater in the show isn't necessarily realistic with one or both of the polar ice caps breaking up. Didn't the classmates go to Okinawa on a field trip? Like that's not going to be underwater in a real catastrophe.

So there's that. But also in the Operation Yashima national blackout scene even the DPRK's lights are all still on along the developed coastline. So it doesn't seem that EVA is using the antarctic for the Mysterious Antarctica trope, not Rising Sea Levels or whatever we called Climate Change in the early-mid Nineties. You can forgive Anno-tachi for not knowing where Hamburg is but if they're not following it through for Okinawa or Japan...
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:how the fuck Misato and her emergency escape pod ended in the sea!?

The same way Dr. Jones survived an atomic bomb test in a fridge. :rolleyes:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Mayan technomagic? :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:how the fuck Misato and her emergency escape pod ended in the sea!?

i imagine the melting ice flooded the area and she was washed off dry ground

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 pm

She was pushed there by plot waves.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sun May 18, 2014 6:49 am

To those who say that we don't get to see what's left of Antarctica after 2I... Actually, we do in the TV series. In episode 12, Gendo and Fuyutsuki travel to Antarctica to search for Adam's Spear of Longinus, and we clearly see that the whole continent is literally gone, save for a few "pillars" of some kind dotting the open expanse. I don't know about you, but whatever rise in sea levels that the Antarctic ice shelf's melting would've caused should have ultimately been mitigated to a large degree by the disintegration of the Antarctic continental mass by Adam's explosion (which logically would leave a huge gap in the ocean to be filled by water). Heck, the pic is even on your own wiki. That would explain why, for example, we have good ol' Hamburg as Magi-05's site instead of "Hamburg-2".

As for Old Tokyo being underwater... Well, there is such a thing as subsidence and soil liquefaction, both of which can be caused by earthquakes (and I would find it ridiculous if 2I didn't result in a global wave of powerful earthquakes; the whole planet had its axis of revolution shifted enough to drastically change the weather patterns, for God's sake!), and could've been exacerbated by the nuke that struck the city.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 am

Well, it was never clear if it was the continent itself or the seas surrounding Antarctica, but the ice there melted as a consequence of 2I, and since 4/5 of the world's ice is in Antarctica, that explains the raised sea level.
In the flood map I posted in the OP, it corresponds to a setting of 30 or 40 meters.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:46 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:As for Old Tokyo being underwater... Well, there is such a thing as subsidence and soil liquefaction, both of which can be caused by earthquakes (and I would find it ridiculous if 2I didn't result in a global wave of powerful earthquakes; the whole planet had its axis of revolution shifted enough to drastically change the weather patterns, for God's sake!), and could've been exacerbated by the nuke that struck the city.

I always found it strange that Old Tokyo got nuked after Second Impact, especially as it's not really elaborated on. We never find out what did it - was it a reactor explosion? Did Vladimir Putin have some sort of crazy religious experience and decide to wipe out Tokyo for Jeebus? Was it the North Koreans? Did Aum Shinrikyo get their hands on a nuke?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun May 18, 2014 1:53 pm

^ I did recently complain about that elsewhere. A global cataclysm starts killing millions and the first thing someone can think of is nuking Tokyo? China is one thing but not even North Korea would be stupid enough to pull shit like that when they have their own problems to deal with.

Maybe Anno was just following the old Japanese movie tradition of Tokyo always being the epicenter of whatever shit is currently going down in the world. Tokyo isn't the epicenter this time? No problem, just nuke it for the sake of drama. Of course it makes sense. :facepalm:
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun May 18, 2014 2:18 pm

I'd imagine it would be North Korea... or maybe America. From Gunbuster we know Anno trusts not America.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun May 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Wasn't it said somewhere that it was a terrorist attack? That would explain why a demonstration for Jet Alone could still be organized there instead of the area being uninhabitable for the next eight centuries.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Maybe Anno was just following the old Japanese movie tradition of Tokyo always being the epicenter of whatever shit is currently going down in the world. Tokyo isn't the epicenter this time? No problem, just nuke it for the sake of drama. Of course it makes sense. :facepalm:

That isn't a Japanese tradition, it's a modern narrative tradition. The same thing happens to stories of all mediums that are written for a particular audience, which is why locations and nationalities are often changed when such a work is adapted for a new audience. If eva was remade as a hollywood movie you can bet your ass it would be set in LA, NY, or whatever major city is on the NEW coastline if they bother to include that detail, and will be filled with a mostly white cast.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Firetrout
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Firetrout » Sun May 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Nuking Tokyo makes a convenient excuse to build a fortress city of inexplicable importance and still name it Tokyo (Or Tokyo-3 in this case).

Hey, if I got my hands on a nuclear weapon I would want to set it off too...

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:40 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:^ I did recently complain about that elsewhere. A global cataclysm starts killing millions and the first thing someone can think of is nuking Tokyo? China is one thing but not even North Korea would be stupid enough to pull shit like that when they have their own problems to deal with.

You are underestimating the sheer capacity for crazy covoluted logic and paranoia that the North Korean dictators are capable of. These are the people who deified their founding president into being the creator of the universe. Not even Stalin's and Hitler's respective cults of personality went that far.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Funny, post 2I Kyoto is Waterfront property. I say that totally makes up for the loss of human life. :P

On a serious note that was interesting to look at and I was also surprised at how little Japan lost.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 23, 2014 4:20 am

^
Well, when you think about it, Japan is an archipelago of volcanic islands, so the terrain tends to be rather high.
That would explain why Japan wouldn't lose that much terrain in case of a dramatic sea rising.
Now in terms of inhabitable terrain on the other hand, it would lose a lot : just the cities of Tokyo and Osaka houses millions of people, losing these two cities must had been a nightmare for Japan, not just in term of the people who died, but to relocate all these people somewhere, as the Japanese landscape is very rugged, as typical of volcanic islands.

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Sat May 24, 2014 5:39 am

^
I seem to remember a scene in the director's cut flash back episode where Fyutsuki mentioned something about evacuation ships mored along the Japanese coast line a few years after 2I.

They mention the environmental effects of 2I through out the series, but I never really had much of an appreciation for it until that flashback episode.

In Rebuild they're a lot less subtle; the red oceans, the aquarium scene and Shinji and Asuka's reactions to Pen-Pen. They eat artificial meat too. It drives home the image of a desolate world; where most of the lesser species of life are gone- if Rebuild 2I involved a similar anti-AT Field effect as seen in EoE, then all sea life and maybe most of the lesser land dwelling species "popped" like a dead angel as their A.T field vanished; eventually all that red goo flowed downstream into rivers and ended up in the oceans as well.

Whoa! Went iff on a tangent there huh :lol:
In a world of order, chaos rules.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”