Why didn't Gendo age at all during the timeskip?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Why didn't Gendo age at all during the timeskip?

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm

[Name corrected for grammar cuz why not. Was "Why Gendo didn't aged at all during timeskip?" - Monk]

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22

vs

Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33

Okay i think it is pretty obvious that Gendo didn't aged at all during the timeskip. Except the pilots all the other characters like Misaro, Ritsuko, Fuyutsuki etc aged normally something that is very obvious. Gendo from the other hand seems like he is the same person even if the visor and the bears are covering half of his face. The question is why though.

I think the visor explains it all. First of all Gendo is not blind. Second if this is Lorenz's visor i doubt Gendo took it by force or for a reason like ''to look more cool''. I think the visor means that Lorenz passed the ''knowledge'' or something similar to Gendo. As we know Seele has been around from always so they cannot be considered normal human beings. This wouldn't mean necessarily that all Seele members should be young but a) we never see them in NTE and b) they might revieved the ''knowledge'' after a certain age''.

I don't know if my theory is correct but the visor must mean something and it may be connected with the fact that Gendo hasn't aged at all.

Also i think there was a magazine cover that was showing Gendo with the visor off and holding it in his hands. I remember i saw the cover here so if anyone has a link....
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Well, the kids didn't, either...and you can argue that none of the other Nerv personnel did.

Exposure to LCL? Or N3I?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Not everybody ages fast, visually so- particularly if one is taking the correct steps to preserve one's appearance.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Gendo before timeskip is 48 years old. This means in Q he is 62 so he should look a little different. For reference Fuyutsuki was 60 years old before timeskip.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 pm

He feeds off of the Reis to keep up his youthful appearance

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 pm

It's obvious, he bonded with the Key of Nebuchanezzar, and that kept him from aging.

As for the visor, my guess is he was blinded by debris or the flash from an N2 mine or something during or after N3I, and had to have cyborg implants to augment his vision.

Maybe Gendo is a composite character in 3.0? Meant to fill the roles of both his original character and Keele?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

My guess is cybernetic implants, it would be a shame if his grand plan he prepared for 24 years now got to waste because he stupidly got an heart attack or something else related to age, so he didn't took any risks and fitted a truckload of implants to be sure that his body will stay in optimal shape when the time of the final phase of his plan arrives.
Fuyutsuki visibly refused to take the same treatment, maybe because he doesn't want to lost what little humanity he has left (if only on the purely physical sense), or because he's so jaded now that he wouldn't really mind if he happened to die before the completion of the plan, this way he would escape from any possibility of confronting WILLE if they fail.

The visor is just the "visible tip of the iceberg", it's like Khil in NGE : EoE revealed that he was so full of cybernetic implants that he was closer to a Terminator than a human being, all to prolong his life long enough to supervise the ritual for Instrumentality, and his visor was the only visible part of it. Maybe the visor has the double function of keeping his sight optimal (after all he already needed glasses before the time skip) and to serve as a direct interface to control neo-NERV automated installations.

But I don't think that the visor was passed from Khil, since the monolith was Khil's body all along, and since millenia ago, so it's ore probable that it's simply a visor specifically created for him. Besides the visor has a very streamlined and sober look, which would perfectly fit something Gendo designed himself.

As for the magazine cover with Gendo taking off the visor, IIRC it was from a doujin illustration, although in Q the visor doesn't cover Gendo's ears, so it's possible that he can take it off.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Why Gendo didn't aged at all during timeskip?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:11 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Also i think there was a magazine cover that was showing Gendo with the visor off and holding it in his hands. I remember i saw the cover here so if anyone has a link....

That was a fanart.

But there's merchandise of the "visor", which to me just looks like fancy hightech sunglasses, just like the ones Q!Misato wears.
Besides, even as a Cyborg, Keel still got his gray hair and receding hairline/wrinkles.

Gendo is over sixty here, and not a gray hair, not a hair less than in 2.0.
That alone makes it pretty clear that he's not human anymore, plus Fuyu's "even his very soul" comment.

(And just how badly Ritsuko and especially poor Fuyu has aged by contrast.
Misato needs to retain some imposingness, but she's smaller now, way less body fat. ) [Tangent resulting from this comment was split out; send further replies there. - Monk]

My guess is that he modified himself with some angelic add-on similar to, but not identical to the series.

He does float... although it may just be a peculiarity of the hologram chamber.

[Part of a post that was split out replied:]
Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:@Kendrix: About that soul comment... assuming that we took it at face value and that Gendo has found some way to live without his soul (and therefore halting aging, etc, etc.) d'you think he could have put his soul into Evangelion 13?

[To which she replied:]
Nah, that seems too cheaply magical.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:@Kendrix: About that soul comment... assuming that we took it at face value and that Gendo has found some way to live without his soul (and therefore halting aging, etc, etc.) d'you think he could have put his soul into Evangelion 13?

In a soul gem of course, again it's all this fucking bunnycat's fault!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Because he's Sean Connery.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Think I'm gonna split out this tangent about Misato.

EDIT: Done.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 am

Why is this always happening with my threads? :sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle:

Someone will say something off-topic, the others will continue and mods will decide to split the discussion...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:28 am

I do a lot of splitting, and I've never noticed any patterns.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:32 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:In a soul gem of course, again it's all this fucking bunnycat's fault!

Next he'll summon the power of AI YO and become Giant Naked Gendo -o-; (Damn HomuMado GenYui parallels).

In all seriousness, my money is on cybernetic implants (thus becoming progressively more robotic and inhuman, and thus metaphorically losing his 'soul', his humanity) or somehow willingly splitting his soul and placing a bit in Eva-13 or somewhere else (Dark Wunder?) At the very least he must have enough soul to not degenerate to Crazy!Kyoko levels (unless soul mechanics have changed to the extent that splitting now does next to nought to a person's personality).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:39 am

While cybernetic implants may be the reason i don't think we can be sure at this point. While we don't know Lorenz's age the dude looks way older then Gendo (NGE talking) and he has way more reasons to have cybernetic implants.

Gendo from the other hand didn't had any health problems and saying he used cybernetic implants for looking younger is a bit too much IMO.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:15 am

^
Take in account that Gendo had to live 14 years in a very spartan environment, unlike Kheel, so maybe he preemptively installed implants on him to prevent these living conditions to affect him physically.
Fuyutsuki's comment that Shinji should see Gendo's living conditions to turn him to their side imply that they have really shitty living conditions, and indeed look at how completely ravaged Fuyutsuki is after 14 years in neo-NERV. Okay, the fact he's now 74 is probably a big reason, but take in account that in 3.0, Gendo is two years older than Fuyu before the time skip, yet he doesn't looks nearly as old as Fuyu during 1.0 and 2.0.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Next he'll summon the power of AI YO and become Giant Naked Gendo -o-; (Damn HomuMado GenYui parallels).

Well, at least Homu had the decency to not involve other people in her schemes! (at least until AI YO)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:55 am

View Original PostDima wrote:While cybernetic implants may be the reason i don't think we can be sure at this point. While we don't know Lorenz's age the dude looks way older then Gendo (NGE talking) and he has way more reasons to have cybernetic implants.

Gendo from the other hand didn't had any health problems and saying he used cybernetic implants for looking younger is a bit too much IMO.

Hmm, maybe he was injured during the climatic battle for Third Impact and had to be stitched up with cybernetics? Although since we don't know much about that time period, it's really hard to say for sure. It is possible he was injured or had some sort of health problem in the intervening years that necessitated cybernetics, though.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am

I was thinking, maybe the eventual implants was to give to Gendo a direct interface with all of neo-NERV installations, he seems to still spend most of his days in his old office, which is completely destroyed and doesn't seem to have a terminal in the desk, so he must receive information and transmit instructions to his installations somehow.
A nice side-effect being that it delays his aging.

The injuries during the events surrounding Third Impact are a great possibility too.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I was thinking, maybe the eventual implants was to give to Gendo a direct interface with all of neo-NERV installations, he seems to still spend most of his days in his old office, which is completely destroyed and doesn't seem to have a terminal in the desk, so he must receive information and transmit instructions to his installations somehow.
A nice side-effect being that it delays his aging.

The injuries during the events surrounding Third Impact are a great possibility too.

I find these both excellent suggestions. It may even suggest a link between Gendo and Rei 3.0's control of Mark-09 being overridden after SEELE is already dead.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 am

Nah. Too wild a speculation.

Lots of stuff in the geofront is probably automatic and has aways been. (Compare ep 11s "completely autonomous colony" talk. )
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”