Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 am

^I have most of the volumes except for 'World's End' (which was the least interesting arc IMO), but if I'd known there was a boxed set I would have gone for that instead of buying them separately. Not sure if I want to get the huge annotated editions which I've seen around; even if I bought one it would probably bankrupt me for a while and it would be really hard to carry :lol:

Have you also read the 'Endless Nights' spin-off?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:28 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Welp, there goes this week's spending allowance (and then some):

:stars:

You have chosen...wisely. ^_^
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Boosette, perfect for making Spooktober cute.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 am

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 pm

new art for New Avengers by Rags Morales, i didnt like his work in the new 52 action comics, but this and the issue that came out last wednsday looks really good IMO
SPOILER: Show

Use spoilers for large images, please. -NemZ

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I just received Volumes 1, 3 and 4 of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus in the mail. The second one should be arriving in a few days. I've only read as far as the introduction by Grant Morrison (surprised he hadn't read the New Gods before writing Final Crisis) and the first three Jimmy Olsen issues as of now but my retinas are already tingling with pleasure at the sight of 70's Kirby pencils. From what I can tell, The New Gods is supposed to be where he really lets his imagination run free and creates a super-mythology unmatched in pure artistic vision and mastery of form. What I fear is that my exposure to Kirby homages/pastiches/tributes will spoil the experience for me. Or at least soften the impact with a false sense of familiarity. Anybody else here read this stuff?

Also, my first official post after the welcome post. Hurray!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:21 pm

It's weird how compressed the storytelling is. A modern comic would take like fifteen years to get through three isues of stuff.

Kirby has a completely unrestrained imagination. Whatever he wants to be in the comic is in the comic, and logic be damned. It's glorious.

Darkseid really does have a weird tendency to just show up in people's houses.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:07 pm

There were a surprising number of examples. He probably raids the fridge while waiting. And leaves the toilet seat up. Truly the ultimate evil.

On a related note, Final Crisis is probably my favorite comic book story featuring the New Gods that I've read. It's awesome. All the cosmic stuff from the DC universe smashed together into a 7-issue (+ Superman Beyond) epic where we see armored Superman/Ultraman (I think) battle a vampire god and Darkseid fry (not really) Batman while getting shot with a god-bullet. The world is enslaved and Darkseid has the absolute coolest lines. It explodes with creative ideas and grand images fitting of a conclusion to DC's Crisis series. It's one of the very few "event" books that I truly enjoyed reading and the one that feels the most like a finale--not just to the event storyline, but to the entire DC Universe. Though I suppose making a true ending would defeat the purpose of superheroes. It's always To Be Continued. Sometimes it goes all deliciously meta too, like most of Morrison's books. The art, inconsistent though it may be, is pretty great. Out of the Morrison comics that I've read, only Flex Mentallo and Seaguy are better.

I get the feeling that Kirby will top it.

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Yeah, comparing a single issue to all those other big-name events probably wasn't such a smooth idea...unless it's going to span out into another story arc, and even then it probably wouldn't be more incendiary than previous crisis story arcs, if it really is just about Xavier's will and doesn't have anything extra to bring to the table.

And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:

There were a surprising number of examples. He probably raids the fridge while waiting. And leaves the toilet seat up. Truly the ultimate evil.

This is how brilliant Kirby is. He references one of the rules of supernatural evil, that it cannot enter a home uninvited, with Darkseid's tendency to totally flaunt it. The traditional bars to evil are nothing to Darkseid. Darkseid is the post-nuclear archenemy, conceived by a Jew who lived through the Second World War. A science devil with no God.

and Darkseid has the absolute coolest lines.

I. Am. The. New. God. All is one in Darkseid. This mighty body is my church. When I command your surrender, I speak with three billion voices. When I make a fist to crush your resistance. It is with three billion hands. When I stare into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with six billion eyes! Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you: Nothing will again. I will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there I will murder your souls!
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Tom Scioli's Final Frontier is a wonderfully psychedelic tribute to 60's Marvel. He does a great job of emulating Kirby's style and runs wild with his imagination. Definitely something you can read whether or not you've read any Silver Age Marvel comics. The plot is secondary to the awesome art and crazy ideas thrown around on each page. There's a Captain America analogue with a red, white and blue beard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:56 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Have you also read the 'Endless Nights' spin-off?

It's good stuff. I also highly recommend the Lucifer spin-off series.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:05 am

Just read the first five issues of Scott Snyder's The Wake. Don't even know where to begin sweating how good this comic is, guys...

It's a 10 issue planned ocean-based horror series that has some really well executed non-linear and elliptical storytelling. The characters are fantastic and Sean Murphy's art is the perfect fit, emphasised by beautiful hues and tones from colourist Matt Hollingsworth. Hard to summarise without being overly verbose (or spoiling too much) but basically it features an ancient and killer mermaid-like species. The first few chapters read kind of like Alien meshed with Deep Blue Sea with accents of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Check it out. Comes with my highest recommendation.

I'll probably finally get around to reading the first American Vampire trade this week now. TBH I've only ever read Snyder's work on Batman (The Black Mirror and his current New 52 run) and now that I've seen what he can do in the creator owned strata... holy shit, son.

@Movie Art: Just a heads up to be careful not to hotlink images too much, dude. It can cause various browsing pains and is frowned upon in general. Unless CBR has user image hosting services I'm not aware of...
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:28 am

^Looks pretty good, I'll check it out if I can.

And I'm nothing like you

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:17 am

http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/alan-moore-trashes-grant-morrison-final-interview/

These two need to either f*** and get it over with or have a decisive battle or something.

It's a shame too, I happen to like both of their comics. Couldn't they get along and do a collab of some sort?

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:06 am

^I didn't realize there was such bad blood between the two, which is a pity because I really love their work. Can't really imagine why they hate each other so much...

Looked into The Wake a bit more; I didn't realise the art was by Sean Murphy at first. I really liked his work on Punk Rock Jesus and Joe the Barbarian, so this should be good. A lot of his faces for The Wake seem to be recycled from Punk Rock Jesus, although maybe I'm just imagining it...

And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Two egos the size of (living) planets -- is anyone surprised?

Though Moore did go up in my estimation when referring to our previous PM in terms usually only seen on libertarian swearblogs during the later days of his term in office.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Daily Dot wrote:Over the course of the interview he disparages Morrison’s image as the cool, aging rocker of the industry, writing, “for thirty years I have had to patiently endure the craven and bitchy hostility of someone who, when I bother to think of him at all, I think of as a Scottish tribute band.” He then goes on to describe Morrison as “herpes-like,” “a feverishly fixated non-entity,” and like “my own personal 18th century medicinal leech,” characterizing him as a frustrating hanger-on who used Moore’s work as an inspiration but never evolved beyond shallow imitation.

:hitthetable:

Holy fuck, this is too much. Personally I'm pretty anti-Morrison myself. Yes, he's a great writer (at times) and has had something of an impact on comics as well but I'm just not a fan of his work in general. His run on New X-Men is a good example. There's a lot of great content in there: The Jean/Emma/Scott love triangle, 'E is for Extinction', John Sublime, 'Assault on Weapon Plus' arc, Quentin Quire, Xorn and 'Here Comes Tomorrow' - but the rest is so bad it's cringe-worthy, especially the whole Angel and Beak thing (Ellis did a better a job of the "not all mutants are attractive superheroes" in his 'Exogenetic' arc in Astonishing X-Men). I feel Morrison just chucks a lot at the page and runs with whatever sticks, but it leaves over so much other residual crap it can be hard to wade through at times. I couldn't even bring myself to read past the third trade paperback of The Invisibles. Too much over-the-top crazy whimsy from start to end which I feel applies to all of his comics that I've read. I need something more grounded and nuanced.

Granted I haven't read his work on Batman, and I know that gets a lot of fanfare, but I feel that I've read enough. I do like his Animal Man run though and I enjoyed All-Star Superman. Maybe he's better with all the Silver Age worship, I can't say...

When it comes to Moore I'm definitely one of those that hold a "grudgingly affectionate respect".
The Simpsons image used in the article is perfect, too.
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 am

^True, I couldn't stand New X-Men. It was bad enough with the first few volumes, which had pretty poor art and writing (in my estimation) but then he hit me with Here Comes Tomorrow- a totally inexplicable timeskip, with the absolute minimal number of named characters, plot points, interesting characters and seemingly significant lines just vanishing into oblivion, and culminating in a Gainax Ending of sorts. The whole thing seemed rushed and badly structured, with hardly enough time given to even develop the setting or characters and details of the timeskip thrust upon us with no real background or foundation. Urghh.

And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:05 am

I think Morrison accomplished what he set out to do, and that was shake up the stagnant status-quo of the 1990s X-books and bring them into a proper modern paradigm. He definitely breathed new life into some of the franchise and it wasn't all bad as I pointed out in my last post - I just feel I have a real love/hate relationship with New X-Men.
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

^True.

Read a bit more of The Wake. I'm finding it a fairly good read so far, although I thought it descended into chaos pretty quickly :lol:

And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”