Where to get the NGE dvds?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Syn
Embryo

Where to get the NGE dvds?

•      
  •      

Postby Syn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

The Platinum collections seem to range from 100$ for used and 200+$ for un-used...

Is there any legitimate site in which there is a reasonable price for unused copies? Thanks!
Huge Evafan.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm

eBay, Amazon. I think the series is now OOP if I'm not mistaken?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:55 pm

You just have to keep looking...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Syn, as someone who collects quite a bit of things, I'm going to break it to you, you're going to have to get comfortable with used goods. Neon Genesis Evangelion has been out of print for long enough a time that getting a brand new copy of the show for a reasonable price is very unlikely.

Also, keep in mind that the price something LISTS for is not the price that something SELLS for. People may list Evangelion for $200 on eBay, but they typically sell for something like $70-$120. You just need to be patient and wait for a copy in good shape to be listed for auction with a low starting bid. You really, really need to warm up to sites like eBay in this instance. The majority of sales I've had through eBay have been very positive.

Also, as a tip, if you go with something like eBay, try to get a lot that includes EoE, and be careful not to buy a bootleg. There are a lot of those floating around. They're easy to spot, they don't look like any of the legitimate releases. Just check svenge's site to make sure you get a real release:

http://svenge.pcriot.com/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Note that the official UK R2 releases aren't listed in that site (and don't all even look the same as the US versions - e.g. the EoE/Death box has three DVDs rather than two with one of them being double-sided), but will widen your pool of possible purchases if you can handle R2 PAL DVDs. (Yes, I do realise that UK people are more likely to be able to handle R1 NTSC than US people handling R2 PAL - but for some folk it's a possibility.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I've heard bad things about the R2 Platinum release. I really wouldn't recommend going that road. Syn is in Canada, so they would be better off getting an R1 release.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I have Platinum thinpak in great condition if you want it. Looking to sell it for around $80. Also have D&R/EoE box set.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I have Platinum thinpak in great condition if you want it. Looking to sell it for around $80. Also have D&R/EoE box set.

If that's all in good shape, $120 would be a very fair price.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:04 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I've heard bad things about the R2 Platinum release. I really wouldn't recommend going that road. Syn is in Canada, so they would be better off getting an R1 release.

It may not be perfect, but not everyone is equally perfectionist about these things - its failings are trivial compared with the improvement over the so-called "perfect" releases (and they are the revised footage, of course). Also, I may be imagining it, but my impression is that the R2 EoE is slightly less terrible than the R1 version.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”