If the house is a-rockin'... [RML Thread 3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Riding unusually high at the moment.

Have a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask waiting for a con at the end of the month. Have plenty of money in my bank account. Am doing fine at a new job and getting paid for working for once is nice... A project in work is going extremely well, despite the best effort of the printers to fuck it up on me.... it's only a stand for a trade-show, but the boss is impressed with how it came out and I'm surprised myself at how well the thing's gone together.

I got my new PC together over the last two days and it seems to be humming along nicely. It's quiet, reasonably quick, reasonably cool and has a new Blu-ray drive in it because the DvD drive I salvaged from the old system finally let the smoke out. It seems to play pretty much anything at this stage

Something about this feels like a major achievement

Part of me is still waiting for the shoe to drop, but for now things are good.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Nailed and finished three work duties in a single day, and came home with a thick wallet.

Just a few more rounds and I could take a vacation in two months' time -- to this:

As an indie tech, I love being my own boss, I set my prices, and I get to mix business with pleasure.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 pm

There are days that come and go, and some that linger on. Some days, that little nasty voice in the back of your head pops in, mocks you, insults you, forces you to have intrusive thoughts, makes you think about things you wouldn't normally think of, what you wouldn't normally say or do, makes you feel like you want to become the very thing that you would hate for the worst and skewed of reasons. Days like this can last what seems like forever, especially if your alone. Your own mind becomes your enemy and you try to silence it out, only for it to come back stronger and stronger each day.............

And just when you think that you're about to give in.......another voice comes in, but on the outside...and all it says are a few simple words:

"I wuv you. *hugs*"

And suddenly, that voice in your mind suddenly is gone, as though it wasn't even there, and suddenly it becomes so dang clear WHY you are who you are, and no stupid voice is going to tell you otherwise. :)

That, was my day today. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 am

^ :D
Sometimes, that's all it takes to clear away the darkness. It's a great feeling, innit?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm

I had a friend I hadn't seen a while over. I made my usual Moroccan tea for him. It started out kind of rough; I found out that I had no mint in the house, which prompted me to run to get some. After I came back, being in the rush I was to make sure everything was timed perfectly, I just threw in all the mint into the teapot. Go forward in time, and we have the tea.

He said it was the best tea he ever had.

SPOILER: Show

So, the thing here is that I work very, very hard to make good tea, as it is part of my culture, as well as one of the few things I am good at. To have such praise is very encouraging. Another thing is that I finally realized that what was missing from my tea was the lack of mint, and this tea proved it.

Not only did I please someone (who I like and don't get to see often) immensely, I learned what my mistake with my tea was previously.

It feels good to be truly commended for something I work so hard at.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 am

I got a job. :uhh:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 am

And on that day, CJD exited the land of NEETness. Congrats, mate. What's the position?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:35 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:I made my usual Moroccan tea for him.

I'll :google: for in-depth answers, but I love me some tea. Can you explain to me what Moroccan tea is and the best way to prepare it?

____

Houston Rodeo was a blast. First time at Reliant Stadium (Please don't suck again this year and disappoint your new fan, Texans) and despite the insanely overpriced things, I had fun. Livestock Show had the same cool stuff as last year.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:I got a job. :uhh:
Good for you, CJD. But don't go spending your entire first paycheck on booze and smokes, you hear. :wink:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 am

Ha, more likely I'll spend it on Asuka merch. :lol:

No but seriously, I'm going to try to save up most of it. I've got some pipedreams so I need to buckle down.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:15 am

Saving some of the money to buy a pipe is the first step, then. ;)

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am

20 minutes ago... Bomby Von Bombsville got a Jobby Von Job Offer!
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Awww shit. You know what this calls for, right? A recent job offer brofist.

SPOILER: Show

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Done with all of my midterms before Spring Break!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Can you explain to me what Moroccan tea is and the best way to prepare it?

It's Mint, Green Tea and Sugar. ^_^

Guide for 1.2 L of Moroccan Tea, Stryker's Style  SPOILER: Show

Materials:
-Teapot
-Cooking Pot (maybe one with a spout or something of that sort?)
-Stove (yeah)
-Sugar
-Water
-Mint
-Green Tea

Step 1: Get 1.2 L of water boiling. Doesn't matter how.

Step 2: Two pinches of green tea is all you need, because Green Tea is exceptionally strong. I use Gunpowder Tea. Put it in the tea pot while the water is boiling.

Step 3: Pour the boiling hot water in it, let it steep for 10-15 minutes.

Step 4: Prepare the cooking pot on the stove, pour the tea into the pot and put it at max heat.

Step 5: When it starts to simmer, start turning the heat down. The idea is that it is the pot that is heating the tea, not the stove. It is important that it remains at a simmer for the next step.

Step 6: Once the heat has stabilized, start putting 4-12 teaspoons of sugar. That time I put 5.5 teaspoons, but not everyone likes their tea super sweet.

When the sugar is put into the simmering tea, it goes through the process of hydrolysis. This is the most important part of the process. I found that when the tea is not simmering, it tastes drastically different than if it were to simmer. I tend to avoid boiling it outright.

Step 7: When this is undergoing, put 11 stems of mint-leaf in the pot. I found that mint in tea is very feint in taste, so if you want to taste a little something, you need to put a lot. This is supposing the stems are 5-7 inches (15-21 cm) long. If you wash them, dry them thoroughly. The mint can lose its taste if not dried properly.

Step 8: Once all the sugar has undergone hydrolysis (there is no "sediment" on the bottom of the pot) Stop the heat and pour the tea back into the teapot (this is where a spout is nice; I always made a mess doing this).

Step 9: Let it steep for 5-10 minutes, then it is ready! If you are prone to acid reflux, you can remove the mint after steeping (never had this problem though).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Content complete on my presentation for Japanese and found out I did exactly what I expected on our last written exam. Pretty much all I have left is another short project for my final which I can knock out in an afternoon and the last two homework worksheets and that's it.

This quarter flew by, and boy was it a good one.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 am

This quarter flew by for me too, but I'm hard-pressed to say it was a good one. In one of my software engineering classes, I got a really bad grade on a project because it just wasn't finished enough. I waited till the last week (of 4) to do it but that's not what killed me; that's pretty normal for me and I would have done just fine if I hadn't treated the project as something to have fun with and explore rather than something that needed to get done as soon and correctly as possible, among other decisions.

And now for the kicker: I'm still probably going to get an A overall. :lol: I did the math, and, given that I've had a perfect score on everything up till now (homework, midterm), and assuming that the professor's estimate of the grade I'll get for the project (C/C-) is accurate, I'll need only to get just the barest A (89.5%, so basically 90%) on the final to get an A for the whole class. And even if the project winds up earning an even worse grade or I encounter unexpected difficulty on the final, eh, one more B in my sea of A's isn't going to matter to anyone in the long-term, like at all.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:24 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:20 minutes ago... Bomby Von Bombsville got a Jobby Von Job Offer!
Congratulations. I'm assuming it's a step up from your current employment?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 am

Congrats, Monk! All that hard work is paying off. Feels great, huh? ;)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Congrats, Monk! All that hard work is paying off. Feels great, huh? ;)

:lol: That's not how I see it at all. What I see is me skating by on sheer talent while continuing to feed my laziness. Keeping up with homework and lectures and doing well on exams is easy; there's deadlines involved that keep you on the right pace and your hand is pretty much held along the way. The project was my one big chance to get some real practice at self-discipline, and in many ways I feel like I simply lucked out and here I am graduating from a class without having learned the most important things it was supposed to teach.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”