Can Eva work as a Full on, Long-Term, Franchise

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

Can Eva work as a Full on, Long-Term, Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:10 am

This is something I've been wondering about recently on going over my Evangelion stuff.

Can the name "Evangelion" ever become anything other than one television series and whatever movies remake or end it? Rebuild maybe suggests it can by diverging from canon and being its own thing. However, the trick Rebuild pulled of a new timeline (or Impact Cycle, we're not here to debate the whole "sequel theory") with the same characters can really only work once. Once Rebuild is over, the stories of Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, everyone, will be concluded forever. But does the series die with them?

Could Eva work with a new cast of characters, a new setup, a new location? Does Evangelion have what it takes to maintain what made it special while also continuing on? Would we, the fans, accept such a change from tradition?

Personally, I believe so. However, to truly be "Evangelion" it would really need to have certain essences of the original series.

1.) It needs to start innocently and dive unexpectedly: Part of what made Evangelion so great was delving into the psychology of what was initially just an entertaining action show. Any new Evangelion series would need the element of surprise, and should begin its psychological drama at a point where it will illicit the most sincere audience reaction.

2.) It needs limitations: Evangelion seems unique to me among anime in that it has no "final boss". EoE's fights were one-sided and decisive with no really "fun" action and merely served to move forward the final character development stage of Third Impact. This was, yes, Anno's original plan, but what if they had the money to make the Harpy's a bigger climactic battle? If the series hadn't had its infamous budget problems, would we have gotten the quiet still scenes of later episodes? Any new Evangelion series should have limits placed on its extravagance to keep from becoming another overblown action show.

3.) It needs to come from the heart: This is harder to define. Evangelion came directly from Anno's psychological state, and couldn't have resulted from any other source. A new Eva series couldn't be done on a corporate whim. It must be the result of a talented director pouring his own emotional experiences into the show, keeping it unique but at the same time true to what Eva was for Anno.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 am

Have you heard of Campus Apocalypse? Evangelion is going to live for as long as the money lasts.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:11 am

I really don't understand how people can say that Eva 'started out' as a generic action show... the first six episodes are filled with depression. It turned into one in the atrocious middle, yes, but it wasn't at all one at first. Moreover I really don't see why starting out 'lighter' is necessary for Eva...
Eva isn't like, say, Star Trek, where what occurs in the series is relatively isolated, and leaves plenty of room, both spacial and temporal, for things in similiar spinoffs to occur in. Eva ends with the end of the world (and I can't think of a way to depict the after Third Impact without negating its majesty) and it's well stated that nothing like what occurs in the series happened before it, and none of it is happening anywhere else in the world. Short of a very drastic genre-break (Tokugawa Ieyasu's interaction with Seele, and that wouldn't even feature Eva) the only way to succeed Eva within the same continuity and yet have similiar story elements would be to set it millennia later with Lilin's interaction with... Baalim? That would still have little to do with Eva, it might be better off being pitched as unrelated.
Certainly you could do an alternate version of Eva with different pilots and Angels and meaning of Instrumentality, but that would be quite redundant and Rebuild is more or less that anyway.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Certainly you could do an alternate version of Eva with different pilots and Angels and meaning of Instrumentality, but that would be quite redundant and Rebuild is more or less that anyway.

RahXephon?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:46 am

Anything can, it's just a matter of having quality writers who enjoy what they're doing and respect the franchise at the helm. Franchise decay happens because they stick with the same writers for long periods of time, well past the point when they've run out of new ideas and/or stopped caring.

Personally I'd love to see Eva as a long running franchise, but only under the condition it takes a more James Bond approach than, say, Gundam. If someone made an Evangelion show without Shinji or Asuka then quite frankly it would be no different to me than any other anime. I'd watch it, yes, but I'd be nowhere near as invested in it or care about it. Because it's not the premise that makes me love Eva so much, it's the characters.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Unit.Zed
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Unit.Zed » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:33 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel to the original series.
Even though I don't usually go for that kind of thing, a "before NGE" might be interesting.
As opposed to a big shiny theatrical movie, a OVA or even a handful of episodes depicting events and characters pre-second impact, Katsuragi Expedition, through Children birth, Gehirn, leading up to Little Shin's arrival in Ep.1.
I thought OVA in original style drawn/characterizations for continuity. Anno conducted of course.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

There was a time where people thought that NTE was going to be a prequel, and they were totally hyped for it. As a reiteration of my opinion, I'd say that Evangelion can absolutely survive somehow, basd on how the fanbase reacts to new content. Even if it's OVAs or stuff that doesn't involve the mains but somehow manages to give us more information about the world of Evangelion, I think that there is going to be a market for it.

I'd watch it, at any rate. ^_^

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:22 pm

View Original PostUnit.Zed wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel to the original series.

For some reason, prequels are the one thing that I wouldn't mind seeing in Eva, or anything for that matter. In fact, I would be totally hyped for them.

Hell, they might even shed some light on some matters that have been discussed here for years. Or course, knowing Eva, it's likely that they would raise more question that answers.
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:RahXephon?

Which gets points for being all of the above and still managing to avoid being a ripoff. What I find most amusing about Rah is that it involved two things people read into Eva even though they aren't really there -- temporal hijinks, and resetting the world/alternate realities. I wish others would follow Izubuchi's example and make stuff that's inspired by Eva yet still stands well on its own. I think Rah really benefitted from that approach.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Wanderlust
Adam

Re: Can Eva work as a Full on, Long-Term, Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Wanderlust » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Could Eva work with a new cast of characters, a new setup, a new location? Does Evangelion have what it takes to maintain what made it special while also continuing on? Would we, the fans, accept such a change from tradition?

Yes, I would prefer that to what Rebuild is doing. I'd rather have new characters in a show with a similar spirit than lesser versions of the old characters in a show without the spirit of the original.

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:EoE's fights were one-sided and decisive with no really "fun" action and merely served to move forward the final character development stage of Third Impact. This was, yes, Anno's original plan, but what if they had the money to make the Harpy's a bigger climactic battle?

Are you referring specifically to the lack of battles in the TV ending? Because Asuka vs the Harpies in EoE is easily one of the best animated mecha battle scenes in anime.

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I really don't understand how people can say that Eva 'started out' as a generic action show... the first six episodes are filled with depression. It turned into one in the atrocious middle, yes, but it wasn't at all one at first. Moreover I really don't see why starting out 'lighter' is necessary for Eva...

The middle with scenes like a grown woman making a drunken, self-hating tirade about her promiscuity and Electra Complex? I don't think generic actions shows tend to have those.

But I agree that it doesn't need to start "lighter", partially because everyone will be expecting it this time and thus it couldn't possibly have the same impact the original did anyway.

View Original PostUnit.Zed wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel to the original series.
Even though I don't usually go for that kind of thing, a "before NGE" might be interesting.
As opposed to a big shiny theatrical movie, a OVA or even a handful of episodes depicting events and characters pre-second impact, Katsuragi Expedition, through Children birth, Gehirn, leading up to Little Shin's arrival in Ep.1.
I thought OVA in original style drawn/characterizations for continuity. Anno conducted of course.

This is basically the only type of prequel I would condone and be interested in (as opposed to ones that would show previous iterations of Shinji's story throughout the Impact Cycles or whatever you want to call them). A real prequel, as in something like an extended version of episode 21, with Gendo, Yui and Fuyutsuki as the protagonists (teenage Misato, Ritsuko and Kaji could show up too, of course). That could make for a pretty awesome OVA series (which is why it won't be made).
"The gift of words is the gift of deception and illusion."

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Which gets points for being all of the above and still managing to avoid being a ripoff.

I really like RahXephon as well. I just put it there without comment to see what remarks might come out of the woodwork. :devil:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I think Eva can work as a franchise but only if they present sequels that take place eons after the story of Shinji and company. I've had my fill of prequels with all the background info the later episodes of Eva brought us even if many may think differently.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:59 pm

They're selling cum now, that's quite an achievement....

I hope they don't sell something like food or other household products outside from merchandise, but I know that the day will come.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:09 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:They're selling cum now, that's quite an achievement....

At least bother reading that thread. It's a fan bar. Not an official one.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:36 pm

What makes EVA EVA is very much tied to it's characters; We're more likely to see fancy retellings than a complete overhaul with new characters and vaguely similar concepts.

It's telling that EVA is one of the few shows where figurines of the characters sell more than those of the robots.

You can do endless iterations of digimon or power rangers because they're based on the monsters/people in brightly colored suits.
But EVA isn't really built around the robots; the robots are build around the characters.EVa 01 is just the mean through which Gendo and Yui are being horrible parents; Q could even do completely without it.

They'll make small funny manga projects and video games as long as there's cash, but I don't think there would be much more "serious" projects.

First, I think it's important for a story to end; When these frachises go on for long, they tend to go to crap.

Also the whole point of Rebuild (well, one of them) was to make ppl/the anime industry stop rechewing his material, so Anno's not likely to, say, sell the rights to Disney.
There's no shortage of vaguely EVA-like material in the anime industry.
All this would result in is basically Guilty Crown or Haruhi Suzumiya with an official Gainax stamp.
(That said, I actually like both of those shows. No sarcasm or bashing intended)

Instead of making more of, or hijacking an established old thing, ppl should try to make their own, new things.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”