Is Spike Spencer the main cause of Shinji hatred overseas?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Americans mock perfect characters and call them Mary Sues, unless they pull it off, like Indiana Jones or James Bond (and the newest incarnation of James Bond is pretty messed up. Yeah Bond isn't an American thing but he's archetypal here)

The main source of invincible perfect dudes in American pop culture is airport novels like Jack Reacher and... Jack Ryan. Apparently a lot of them are named Jack.

All the main characters of the popular stuff I'm familiar with are deeply flawed and psychological damaged people.

Shinji catches shit as a "whimp" and a "pussy" for the exact reason I said: He's in a situation he can't handle and that makes people looking for escapism uncomfortable.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Or virtually anyone from DC's Vertigo line (most of which has probably achieved far more success in the U.S. than Eva has), lots of other comics (Suicide Squad, Secret Six, etc), many horror protagonists in all sorts of genres, and on and on and on. It's a niche trope, but it's well-established and reasonably successful. And again, it's just as niche in Japan as it is here. Japan loves their Gokus and Narutos and Ichigos and Lufis, with their Shinjis being a comparatively rare occurrence (except for loltomino, but let's face it, no one ever got into Gundam for Amuro or Camille).

Do you know the amount of time Naruto spends crying over his lost boyfriend?

Sorry you can't compare the goddamn Batman with Shinji. Bruce Wayne is a playboy millionaire that hunts criminals at night with all kinds of awesome gadgets and more importantly he is proactive. As long as a hero tackles his problems head-on he will be liked regardless from where he is from.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Sorry you can't compare the goddamn Batman with Shinji. Bruce Wayne is a playboy millionaire that hunts criminals at night with all kinds of awesome gadgets and more importantly he is proactive. As long as a hero tackles his problems head on he will be liked regardless from where he is from.

True. But there's no denying that Bruce is just as fucked in the head as Shinji, if not moreso. I mean, he dresses up in a bat costume to fight crime. That's grade-A loony no matter how you look at it, and he knows it!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Yes, but for all his neuroses he still embodies something immensely macho. Batman isn't known as the guy that cries over his dead parents, he is the guy that socks the Joker on the jaw at the end of the comic.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Yes, but for all his neuroses he still embodies something immensely macho. Batman isn't known as the guy that cries over his dead parents, he is the guy that socks the Jocker on the jaw at the end of the comic.

True. I would never think of comparing Shinji to Bruce Wayne, personally, but I would compare him to, say . . . Frodo Baggins.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Yes, but for all his neuroses he still embodies something immensely macho. Batman isn't known as the guy that cries over his dead parents, he is the guy that socks the Joker on the jaw at the end of the comic.

Exactly. The "flaws" he has are more or less plot-devices and only represent a very small part of his personality and aren't really recognizable during 90% of the runtime. Aside from that, he's muscular, heroic and generally "the best person on earth".
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Yes, but for all his neuroses he still embodies something immensely macho. Batman isn't known as the guy that cries over his dead parents, he is the guy that socks the Joker on the jaw at the end of the comic.

Yeah, but Batman is an adult whose story is shown to us years after his traumatic childhood, after he had the time to train and hones his skills, Shinji is just 14 and the traumatic events are happening right now.

I'm sure that if the story of Batman started with he murder of his parents and continued following the years after, Bruce wouldn't be that different from Shinji.
Hell for all we know Shinji in the EoE future is fighting crime in the ruins of the post-3I world trying to rebuild itself, wearing a white costume with twelve wings and a seven-eyed mask! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:38 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Batman.

Implying Batman is half as fucked up as Shinji. Last time I checked for all his "MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAAAD" he still manages to function quite well in life.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:True. I would never think of comparing Shinji to Bruce Wayne, personally, but I would compare him to, say . . . Frodo Baggins.

Frodo is reluctant yes, but not nearly as flawed as Shinji.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:47 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Implying Batman is half as fucked up as Shinji. Last time I checked for all his "MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAAAAAAD" he still manages to function quite well in life.

No he doesn't. He dresses up in a bat costume and spends his nights beating people up. Fireball is right about it not being apt comparison given how he's portrayed, but there's no question that he's every bit as fucked up as Shinji, if not moreso.

Frodo is reluctant yes, but not nearly as flawed as Shinji.

Shinji wasn't that fucked up until Eva got its hooks into him. In a normal world he'd just be an avoidant kid with daddy issues, and otherwise a typical teenager. But anyway, the point is that both he and Frodo are reluctant heroes, but Frodo comes off a lot better on account of his portrayal. Shinji was received much more warmly in Japan, where he was . . . portrayed differently. And here, where he was portrayed as a whiny brat, people hated him, even though we did our flawed heroes as much as the next guy. I'm comfortable putting the bulk of the blame on Spike as a result.

(same with Grant and Asuka, but that's another discussion.)

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No he doesn't. He dresses up in a bat costume and spends his nights beating people up. Fireball is right about it not being apt comparison given how he's portrayed, but there's no question that he's every bit as fucked up as Shinji, if not moreso.

Yes, and he also lives a playboy lifestyle, doesn't blow all his money and let his fortune vanish, and dresses up in a bat costume and spends his nights beating people up. Call me when Batman loses his job because of his alcoholism. Or even better, when he can't even get a job because he's hooked on drugs.

Honestly, I also think you're underestimating how many people would do the superhero thing if they could. There's a reason superhero comics are so successful: they fulfill the dreams of boys everywhere.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Shinji wasn't that fucked up until Eva got its hooks into him. In a normal world he'd just be an avoidant kid with daddy issues, and otherwise a typical teenager.

Sure, but the show isn't about NormalWorld!Shinji, it's about Eva!Shinji. And Eva!Shinji is practically 75% off due to production flaws.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Sure, but the show isn't about NormalWorld!Shinji, it's about Eva!Shinji. And Eva!Shinji is practically 75% off due to production flaws.

I don't know what that means. 75% off? Production flaws? What are you trying to say here?

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't know what that means. 75% off? Production flaws? What are you trying to say here?

I'm saying Shinji is so broken if he were merchandise they'd have no choice but to sell him at a discount. Like a coat that's missing the zipper. Only Shinji's also missing the inner lining so he's really itchy to wear. And the collar is uneven. And the right pocket has a giant hole in it. :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am

^
In that case then NERV would be a second-hand clothing shop, seeing all the nutcases working there! :lol:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am

Yes. THIS.

If anything, the dead parents just serve as a carte blanche excuse for him to do crazy stuff; It still becomes part of the wish-fulfillment framework, the crazy stuff is still celebrated.

It's an excuse to smash things, and also, if their loved ones are gone, these characters are not bound by anything, increasing the wish fulfillment factor.

There's no wish-fulfillment at all in Shinji' situation.
EVA doesn't even tell you, "Sorry, you don't actually have access to awesome technology, infinite money and improbably naked chicks stumbling over you", it goes one step further, nd tell you "Even if you had all these things, that wouldn't fix your basic problem of being an inexperienced awkward teenage boy"

I mean, sure, Shinji isn't representative for Japanese media as a whole, he's from an artsy-fartsy deconstructionist work with ambitions of realism and random classical music, but even when you look at Naruto or Ichigo, they get shown with doubt, hesitation or even tears quite readily.

They just happen to get over it, usually after being snapped out of it by a friend.

Alas, Shinji didn't have the luxury of a functioning support structure....
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 pm

^
And as I said, where shown Batman at an adult age, years after the traumatic event of the death of his parents, with Shinji we are right when the traumatizing events are happening.

I really doubt that Bruce Wayne just after the death of his parents was much different than Shinji, spending most of the time isolated in his room and brooding.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:10 pm

At least Bruce always had Alfred.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Checking Erikson's stages of psychosocial development and Harlow's attachment theory, Shinji would have turned out a hell of a lot different if he'd had an Alfred. Hell, maybe if Bruce had been stuck in Shinji's situation and Shinji vice-versa, we'd be talking about how Bruce was a spineless wimp that could barely stand to fight crime and Shinji was this totally awesome, macho dude that spoke in a gravelly voice and killed angels with awesome one-liners. Misato would have been a good Alfred. It's a shame she came too late in Shinji's psychosocial development to make a big enough difference, though.
Last edited by Nuclear Lunchbox on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Too late, too short, and unfortunately too little between her work at NERV and later her investigation on Gendo and SEELE and later revenge for Kaji's death(not that I blame her with her responsibilities and also traumatic childhood leaving her quite messed up too)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Checking Erikson's stages of psychosocial development and Kohlberg's attachment theory, Shinji would have turned out a hell of a lot different if he'd had an Alfred. Hell, maybe if Bruce had been stuck in Shinji's situation and Shinji vice-versa, we'd be talking about how Bruce was a spineless wimp that could barely stand to fight crime and Shinji was this totally awesome, macho dude that spoke in a gravelly voice and killed angels with awesome one-liners. Misato would have been a good Alfred. It's a shame she came too late in Shinji's psychosocial development to make a big enough difference, though.

Write that one down. When Some Do Not Like It Hot is done, we're doing this.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Topic, kids. Looks like we're drifting somewhat.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”