EOE 16:9 or 4:3?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ringworm128
Lilith

EOE 16:9 or 4:3?

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 am

I've seen two versions of End of Evangelion, one in 4:3 and the other in 16:9. I'm wondering which is the best way to view it. I'm guessing it's similar to the DBZ movies where they were animated in 4:3 but with 16:9 in mind therefore having all the important parts of the image in the centre making cropping not an issue. Still want to make sure though.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 am

DBZ was not animated with 16:9 in mind. That is 100% Funimation fucking shit up like the idiots that they are. It is downright criminal what they have done to the show, especially with the latest release where they not only crop it but also DNR all life out of it.

EoE is a theatrical feature and was made with the Vista 1.85 aspect ratio, which was common for film. This is slighly wider than 16:9 (1.77) and that's what the DVDs have. It's been forever since I've seen it so I don't remember if it's cropped to 16:9 or letterboxed to original 1.85.

The Manga Ent DVD is shit which has 16:9 letterboxed inside 4:3.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:37 am

1.85:1 aspect ratio if you can find it. It might be formatted under a "16:9" setting, which would still have very narrow, almost unnoticeable black bars at the top and bottom of a 16:9 TV preserving the original aspect ratio.

I'm not sure how the film was formatted for the Japanese DVD releases. I'm sure it was 16:9 with narrow black bars preserving the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. (I know a lot of Miyazaki's 1.85:1 films did the same thing in their DVD releases.)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:02 am

The film is actually 16x9, but some knucklehead at Manga Entertainment mastered both Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion as matted 16x9, so it's a letterbox image sitting on a 4:3 video. Doi.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:05 am

Yeah, the quality of the Manga Ent. DVD is barely better than if someone had transferred a VHS tape to DVD. Avoid that one of you can. (Unfortunately, it's the only American release of the film. People have gotten used to getting rather creative in finding ways to buy a Japanese copy and getting English subs for it.)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Fuck Mangle Entertardment. Bunch of fucks that just don't care. That DVD release is by far the shittiest I've ever seen. It's almost as if they just figuratively mollywopped Anno in the face.

But, yeah if a film was made in the 16:9 ratio, then that's the only acceptable format that it should be purchased and viewed in.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Kind of sounds like a decision someone with a Obsessive Compulsive Disorder would come up with :uhh:

The whole show was in 4:3 therefore the movie must be too ! I really don't see any other reason why anyone would do something like that, furthermore I'm kind of surprised, that this is actually the only version published in America. :huh:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:49 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Kind of sounds like a decision someone with a Obsessive Compulsive Disorder would come up with :uhh:

The whole show was in 4:3 therefore the movie must be too !

It's far simpler and lazier than that. The Manga Ent DVD is made from an analog source, which are 4:3 and if you want 16:9 you have to letterbox, so that's exactly what you got. A metric ton of Manga's DVD releases are like that, just shitty VHS or LDs transfered straight along with all the terrible artifacts.

You want a horror show, check out their DVD for Patlabor Movie 1: http://i.minus.com/ibkyIlKF9hpBbj.jpg

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:58 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You want a horror show, check out their DVD for Patlabor Movie 1: http://i.minus.com/ibkyIlKF9hpBbj.jpg

They were paid for this ? :cringe:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:04 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You want a horror show, check out their DVD for Patlabor Movie 1: http://i.minus.com/ibkyIlKF9hpBbj.jpg

My god... :scared: Manga Entertainment, what are doing? Stop fucking up anime releases!
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:14 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:DBZ was not animated with 16:9 in mind. That is 100% Funimation fucking shit up like the idiots that they are. It is downright criminal what they have done to the show, especially with the latest release where they not only crop it but also DNR all life out of it.
Yes DBZ was made with 4:3 in mind but the movies were more 16:9 friendly. Hence why when the Dragonboxes (Japanese DVD release) came out in Japan the series were in 4:3 while the release for the movies was 16:9. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/rumor/movies/
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Wanderlust
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Wanderlust » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 pm

I actually liked the main menu on the Manga Entertainment release, even though it had like the shortest loop ever. Then again, I'd probably like any menu where "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" plays.

More importantly, this topic has reminded me that End of Evangelion STILL hasn't come out on Blu-ray. *sigh* It'd be so nice to have an updated, definitive version of that glorious film.
"The gift of words is the gift of deception and illusion."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 pm

I missed that you specifically said movies. I blame Funimation for being such rage-inducing shitstains.

Either way EoE is still Vista from the storyboard phase onward.

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:47 pm

View Original PostWanderlust wrote:More importantly, this topic has reminded me that End of Evangelion STILL hasn't come out on Blu-ray. *sigh* It'd be so nice to have an updated, definitive version of that glorious film.

I hope Funimation gets their hands on the rest of the Eva franchise so they rerelease everything. They've been pretty good with the Rebuild releases so far.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I think the main problem is that it costs like 2 million or something.

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 am

My friend gave me a version that was upres'ed to 720p and in the 2.35x1 ratio. It's basically a stretched out 16x9 copy. To be honest, I kinda prefer it in 2.35 form (I just have a knack for that format, for some reason), since the distortion is barely noticeable, but I can just switch the aspect ratio back to 16x9 on VLC if i wanted to.

But to answer your question, see it in 16x9. It's generally the best way to see it, since it was the intended format, but try it in different ratios if you can, and see what you like most.

HeeroYuyIII
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby HeeroYuyIII » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Who cares? The movie still looks piss poor animation/art wise. My friend had a debate with the creator of this site on Twitter and he is absolutely right. EOE looks like a low budget OVA compared to something like Gundam 0083, Gundam 8th MS Team or Gundam Wing Endless Waltz which all look near movie quality and have animation like syrup.
Target confirmed!

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:42 pm

View Original PostHeeroYuyIII wrote: EOE looks like a low budget OVA

:lol:

Hilarious, just freakin hilarious.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

^^ I seriously don't know if you're the best the worst troll I ever saw. :lol: You pulled a good one with the Ova, though. ^_^
Last edited by Gorbatschow on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote::lol:

Hilarious, just freakin hilarious.

Yes. Yes it was.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”