Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

It's just a disembodied voice? Sorry, no badonkadonk, no waifu.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 pm

^ There is a sex scene...yeah, it's weird.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:54 am

Symbol (2009): I'm not much of an arthouse aficionado, so the best way I can describe this film is Cube meets Rubber.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 am

^ Hitoshi Matsumoto is a genius. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 am

I laughed so hard a few times during Symbol that I was in pain.

SPOILER: Show
The soy sauce for the sushi! Or when he's trying to fill the vase with water, haha.

:rofl:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear - I saw this without seeing the first one since it wasn't available and I was more into this one because of Kane Kosugi. The fight scenes were standard stuff with dozens of slow motion shots poured in but it wasn't boring to the point of falling asleep. Just that the protagonist seemed so standard with a Hugh Jackman-like growl in his voice.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am

The room
"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullshit, I did not hit her, I did naaawwt...Oh hi Mark."

2/10 I gave 2 points because of ^that line. One of worst the film ever indeed.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Zulu

2 hours of Britain's finest gentlemen slaughtering down hordes of African savage tribal warriors in bright red snazzy uniforms. And a young Michael Caine being posh as fuck.

One thing is for sure, this movie is never going to get a remake.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Madonna » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Jacob's Ladder

Terrific film, quite moving and yet utterly disturbing. Never has a non-horror film frightened me so much; the ending was very well done too.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:31 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The room
"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullshit, I did not hit her, I did naaawwt...Oh hi Mark."

2/10 I gave 2 points because of ^that line. One of worst the film ever indeed.

I actually love this movie. It's unintentionally funny as he'll and I constantly laughed during the while movie . But I'd say, that the flower-shop scene is the best scene ever made
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:18 am

Just got back from seeing The Wolf of Wall Street. So fucking awesome. Can't fault anyone's performance and hardly felt like a 3 hour+ film at all.
Great entertainment all-round.

Gamera 3: Revenge of Irys [AKA Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle] (1999):

Watched this late last Saturday night capping off my second rewatch of this trilogy within the last 12 months or so, prompted by having received the BDs for Christmas (a substantial step up from the oddly sourced DVD copies I hard prior).

Love this movie so much. Yeah - The action and tokusatsu itself isn't as awesome and awe-inducing as it is in Attack of Legion, but the pacing and tone is pitch perfect. Great locales, settings, brilliant human drama in a daikaiju production and this is easily the best iteration of Gamera himself. He just looks so dark, scary and battle-hardened from his past few years of constant war with the Gyaos.

The implied ending is also the coolest thing ever but leaves me a little teary.

:salute:
Warren Peace, #643919

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

Full of laughs. Lots of naughty stuff. Stupid stunts

If you liked Jackass or Wildboyz check it out.
a solid 4/5 film.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Fritz Lang's The Big Heat

One of the earliest and greatest examples of a cop seeking vengeance against those who have harmed his family. All those police procedural tropes that are ubiquitous these days are so much more interesting when used here.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Is Fritz Lang's later Hollywood stuff generally any good?

I liked Metropolis and M but wasn't sure about whether his stuff he made after coming to America was worth taking the effort to find.

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby heavytread » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Pacific Rim
By far my favorite live action film of all time. I mean what's not to love especially when it comes to Striker pure genus.

All the Kaiju were pure badass in design especially Mutavore(category IV that breaks the Sidney wall), knifehead, and Slattern, oh and otachi, Trespasser (golden gate bridge) and Hardship (beginning prologue in Seattle)

And those fights just genius.

9.9/10 only because hunnam was a little dull.

"I was never sure whether to hug him or give him.a kick in the ass." "With all respect sir I think I witch one he needs :lol: best line ever

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:54 am

Boiling Point [AKA 3-4X10月] (1990):

Quaint little film with a bizarre presentation but Kitano's signature black humour and distinct directing style shine through right 'til the end. Also aided by some really stand-out scenes (like the above posted image). Overall; I probably enjoyed Kitano's Violent Cop more, but Boiling Point has a better "journey", I think.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 am

Lee Chang-dong's Poetry
Lee is another contemporary Korean director I could heap piles of praise upon. This might be my favorite film of his yet, which is quite the statement considering how much I also adored Secret Sunshine. I can think of few films that manage to be simultaneously dark and uplifting like this one.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Wanderlust
Adam

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:34 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Just got back from seeing The Wolf of Wall Street. So fucking awesome. Can't fault anyone's performance and hardly felt like a 3 hour+ film at all.
Great entertainment all-round.

This. Up there with Scorsese's best if you ask me. Definitely his best work with Leo (The Aviator being a close second).

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 am

I atoned for my sin of not watching this classic. Now I'm in love with this movie. :tongue:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha: It is rare to come across a film that I can appreciate and enjoy for its marvellous direction and execution, but can't get over how much I hate the protagonist. It's not like she is even badly written in Frances Ha, but it really made me more critical of the film. I loved the film's relentless pacing and ambitious/crazy editing - they were clearly made to mimic the protagonist's personality and how she sees the world (and it worked very well like that). My beef with the film is how the naive ending refuses to acknowledge the downsides of the bizarre protagonist and instead remains in the fantasy world she has created for herself. The film seemed to be building towards a different sort of ending and now all the tricks the film pulled seem more like the director being hip for the sake of being hip. The combination of chaotic dialogue and second-hand embarrassment can be quite overwhelming at times, but I guess the film is a fairly good portrayal of carefree and socially inept wannabe artists.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Film and Video”