What was the saddest part of Eva for you?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm

It shows how they're on completely different levels. Shinji is just confused as hell and shocked (in his defense, I wouldn't close my eyes and savor the moment if a 29 year old brick shithouse tongue wrestled me when I was 14 either) and Misato's just embracing the fantasy before she bleeds out.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm

@ Dataprime: Yep that's mine too. I be Shippin'.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Probably when Yui kills Gendo.
Omnia non vincit amor... *cries*
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Ideograph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ideograph » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 pm

The fate of Evas 03 and 02 are still hard to watch for me. The fate of Eva 03 is even worse in Rebuild.

In Rebuild, however, that would be Kaworu's death.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Ritsuko crying after destroying the Rei clones and begging Misato to kill her in episode 23 makes me sad for her situation of never getting enough love from Gendo.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Probably when Yui kills Gendo.
Omnia non vincit amor... *cries*

Yea, that's definitely my choice as well...fist bump, bro.

View Original PostIdeograph wrote:The fate of Eva 03 is even worse in Rebuild.

I remember reading that in an earlier draft of Ha, Eva-03 tries to crawl away during the fight...nasty.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Ritsuko crying after destroying the Rei clones and begging Misato to kill her in episode 23 makes me sad for her situation of never getting enough love from Gendo.

I remember being surprised to learn that Gendo and Ritsuko were bonking. Isn't that the first time we learn they were bonking? It was less sad for me because I had no idea they were a thing.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Before I had seen the rebuilds I would have gone with Areal's invasion of Asuka's mind from the Director's Cut. Specifically the line, "You won't even hold me!" That took it for me hands down.

However (comma), after seeing 2.0, I don't think that my opinion that the opening bars of Tsubasa wo Kudasai are among the most heart-wrenching moments in anime history is going to change. Every time I hear the intro, dammit every time I try to play it on my piano I feel like I'm going to cry.
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 pm

In canon: A tie between "Goodbye mother" and "I was aware I was still a child"

Non-Canon: Retake......you know the scene.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:In canon: "I was aware I was still a child"
Non-Canon: Retake......you know the scene.

Please, who says 'I was aware...'?
And in retake, do you mean when
SPOILER: Show
Kaworu dies?
Last edited by MisatoCrush on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:And in retake, do you mean
when Kaworu dies?

I guess you're talking about the Rebuilds (Q) instead of the doujinshi named Re-Take.

=====

My choices:

Original Show: The complete Descent- and Bitter End-Arc. If I would have to choose a specific scene, I'd vote for a tie between Asuka's Death and Misato's Kiss.

Rebuilds: IMO there weren't many touching scenes in the Rebuilds, I guess I have to go with Kaworu's scene.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:28 pm

He could very well be speaking of the scene in Re-Take where Kaworu is:
Devoured mercilessly by Eva-01.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:32 am

None of the above actually.

ImageI couldn't find the first time the image rolls around during the scene, but yeah. When Asuka sacrifices herself while she's pregnant and that panel of them sitting under the tree came, I lost it.

Honestly, the last work of fiction that made me cry before that was a couple years earlier after I watched Grave of the Fireflies.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:48 am

Totally forgot about the non-canon stuff when taking this question into account, not sure quite how that happened...

Re-Take is certainly an emotional roller coaster in it's own right, not to mention the heartwarming goodness it brings along with it. As a self diagnosed hopeless romantic, it is something that I can really appreciate, and ride along with all it's ups and downs.
Last edited by Stratomeister on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:40 am

Can we stick to the official story? If you want to talk about Re-take there's a thread dedicated to it in the Fandom section.

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1743/DOUJINSHI-Re-Take/[/url]
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TIWIH777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TIWIH777 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Plenty of you have mentioned Asuka's death and her mind rape etc., but I gotta say specifically the scene in episode 22 directors cut where she's in the shower and screams how she hates herself and everyone and how she can't take it anymore is really poignant. I mean full on screaming and Misato can hear the whole thing. Eh.
Let's do this.

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

In the original it would be by far Asuka's death and in rebuild it would be Eva-03 getting it's insides ripped out

I haven't seen Q (right that's what the third one's called ) so this answer may change

Coldwire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Coldwire » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 am

For me it would be the kitchen scene, it's so painful to watch. Asuka and Shinji can't understand each other and because of that the world will go to hell.
I could hide familiar in my pain
serve my sorrows in vain
or I could step right outside
and show you that I'm alive
I'll leave you behind...

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 am

which kitchen scene? there seems to be more than one and possibly more from the directors cut?
Do you mean the coffee spilling scene?

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 am

^ Yeah, that's the one. Until I saw the DC versions of 21-24, I was always puzzled about where that part had taken place/was altered from when it played out in EoE.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”