[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

I just finished listening to a Librivox recording of "The Art of War" by Tsun Szu. Don't really know what to say, it was rather informative although i feel like a re-read will be necessary in the future. I'm also still reading "Tales of Old Japan", and might start with Miyamoto Musashi's "Go Rin No Sho" today.

No audiobook for the Book of the Five Rings, though :/
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:17 pm

I really didn't like the book of five rings. It's short enough to justify reading though.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

If anything it teaches you how to hold [s:3e8313yg]your[/s:3e8313yg] a sword properly.
That's about all I can really recall of it.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 am

I've almost finished reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau, just starting reading the last chapter and it's such an enchanting book. Lovely descriptions on nature and his thought's on society.

Deciding my next book to read will be difficult... C.S. Lewis' Great Divorce? Tolstoy's Family Happiness? WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:31 am

Picking up Japanese SF when I see it on the shelf has got me The Lord of the Sands of Time by Issui Ogawa; it's turning out to be Muv Luv Betas vs time travellers in ancient Japan.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:36 am

Reading Persepolis for my Literature class. Thus far it's been an interesting read. It's odd to be reading what is in effect, a comic, in a college class, though.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Muv Luv Betas vs time travellers in ancient Japan.

Picked the fuck up. When I get a chance.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am

I'm currently reading "Loco in Yokohama", by Baye McNeil, who runs the blog the book is named after. I really enjoyed his first book about how it's like to live in Japan as a "gaijin", so I thought I'd pick up this one as well.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Just got 1Q84 by Murakami since bomby said that I resembled some character in it

excited :D

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:03 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Just got 1Q84 by Murakami since bomby said that I resembled some character in it

excited :D
Tell me how it goes when you've finished. I got it for Christmas and have heard bad things about it even from Murakami fans, though I'm still going to read it.

EDIT: Finished Ulysses tonight. I'm glad I read Dubliners and A Portrait beforehand and even gladder that I re-read The Odyssey. Lots of it went over my head (I've been told worrying about allusions while reading Joyce is the wrong thing to do) but all the switching between writing styles was great, Buck Mulligan was hilarious, and the ending gave me a much better understanding of Molly and how she fit the role of Penelope.

My favorite section was probably Ithaca, the catechism format was an oddly compelling choice. I still love Telemachus for its humor and straightforwardness, though. Definitely something I'll have to reread in five years.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:49 am

So somehow I'm already [s]almost halfway[/s] a good quarter through The Silmarillion.

:huh:

Just ended up leafing through the foreword on the weekend and found myself reading the Ainulindalë, Valaquenta and a good portion of the Quenta Silmarillion. The plan was to read it after LOTR (as everyone advises) but I'm actually really, really loving it. Sheer mythic wonderment. I mean, it isn't "easy-going", the prose set as an in-universe account/tome of the lore and histories of Middle-Earth and Valinor, but it's so good - Everything as I imagined it would be all this time.

SPOILER: Show
Currently up to the account of the Sindar. Denethor was just killed in the first war with the Orcs and it looks like Fëanor and his Noldor followers are going to meet up with Elu Thingol [Elwë] and launch a counter-stroke against Melkor-now-named-Morgoth in the north.

I don't know; maybe because I knew and didn't expect a novel as such, or perhaps it was all those years reading obscure Kirkbridean ES lore texts (when I was more involved in that fandom) but The Sil is going down a treat - Making me feel all warm and gooey on the inside.
Warren Peace, #643919

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 pm

That stuff about Iluvatar and the Void makes me diamonds.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:46 am

Yeah, the Ainulindalë is fantastic.
Decided I'm going to read up to the Akallabêth then set it aside and leave 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age' until after I've read LOTR. That way it'll kind of leave LOTR read-through untouched, even though I already know what happens for the most part.

Still plan on reading The Shining beforehand, though.
Warren Peace, #643919

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Suttree is great. It's so funny I can't believe I'm reading something by Cormac McCarthy.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 pm

American Gods

So far, so good, it's quite interesting and the characters have distinct personalities - which I like. Really curious to see what twists and turns it'll take.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 am

Its pretty good.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:01 am

I know it's a bit passe to wank over The Killing Joke, but I re-read it at a friend's urging, and goddamn, Bolland's art is still probably the most visually disturbing rendering of a comic-book villain I've seen.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:51 am

^ Agree with you completely, chee. It just wouldn't be quite the same without his art style.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Suttree is great. It's so funny I can't believe I'm reading something by Cormac McCarthy.

Is that really so strange? I've got a copy of The Road on my bookshelf, read it twice. Good stuff.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 am

Well only other McCarthy I've read is The Road and Blood Meridian (the undisputed GOAT) so the lightheartedness of Suttree (so far) has come as somewhat of a surprise.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am

View Original PostMadonna wrote:American Gods

So far, so good, it's quite interesting and the characters have distinct personalities - which I like. Really curious to see what twists and turns it'll take.

Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors (and probably the closest to the top spot). American Gods is one of his longer novels, but it is extremely good and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. You should also try The Ocean at the End of the Lane and some of his short story collections, such as Smoke and Mirrors. He also did some magnificent writing for comics; The Sandman is the most famous of these, but The Books of Magic are also pretty epic and he recently returned to writing the Sandman prequel, The Sandman: Overture as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”