Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 am

The Hunt for Red October
I love this movie. It's my favourite. If anyone's not seen it, I implore that you watch it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Child's Play 2. Hello, first positive surprise of 2014. This was a better Terminator film than T3 ever was.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:18 am

Godzilla Raids Again - Opting for a lighter tone compared to it's predecessor, the first sequel has plenty of moments of hilarity mostly given from the comic relief character. But that doesn't mean that it can't be serious when it has to and it delivers bittersweet moments for a Kaiju film. As for the Godzilla vs. Anguirus matchup, it moved too fast for my liking but I adored how both of them like to go for the jugular which isn't too common in these movies, at least from what I remember.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:39 pm

American Psycho
Christian Bale's acting is superb. I love Patrick's over reactions to certain situations. -o-;

Also, I never get tired of this dance scene:
SPOILER: Show

:hahaha:

9/10

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:51 pm

^ A+ movie for sure!

At this moment, I'm nearly finished watching Highlander for the very first time. Suddenly I realize why Sean Connery has been a meme my entire life. 6/5 stars, will watch again. :lol:
Set phasers to thrill.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:American Psycho
Christian Bale's acting is superb. I love Patrick's over reactions to certain situations. -o-;

I showed this to my girlfriend last week...
I don't believe we see eye to eye on this movie. I love it :3 I'm not quite so sure that she did.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:I showed this to my girlfriend last week...

Haha, definitely not a movie I would watch with my girlfriend(if I had a girlfriend). :lol: And if I had a wife for like, 25 years, I don't think I'd watch it with her either. And I'm not trying to be one of those "the book is better than the movie" guys, but the book is better than the movie.

A couple days ago I happened to catch John Carpenter's The Thing at about 3 in the morning. Hadn't seen it from start to finish since I was thirteen, and I still really dig it. Such a great setting and concept for a film. Just wish I got to watch it during the polar vortex of 2014.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

kuzronk
Embryo

Postby kuzronk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 am

2001:A Space Odyssey :
I barely understood this movie compared to a clockwork orange but that kinda spoon-fed it's message. Hal seems a bit too quiet but the special effects are ground-breaking for it's time and the musical score has some popular classical songs in it.
Not sure if I will watch any more Kubrick films though (Might check out the shinning though since that seems entry-level and not that old.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:10 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Haha, definitely not a movie I would watch with my girlfriend

Duly noted - where were you two weeks ago?!

ANYWAYS,

Went out and saw American Hustle (again, with the girlfriend... but I hed deniablity if the movie was terrible because I hadn't seen it before). However, it was the complete opposite of terrible - the movie was fantastic. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper are great together, definitely synergistic. Lot of comedic parts kept it light, but still maintained the appropriate level of seriousness for the subject matter.

Also, Jennifer Lawrence AND Amy Adams... :drool:

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 am

Before Midnight

I really enjoyed it...

SPOILER: Show
... both in spite of and because of how it was so painfully honest about relationships. Jesse & Celine were never going to be as satisfied as we wanted them to be, because relationships that start as quickly and passionately as theirs are doomed to falter and burn out quickly. I'm not certain how realistic the last five minutes would be in real life, but I guess it needed to end with at least a little bit of optimism.

--------------------------

Her

Once again, I really enjoyed it, probably about equally as Before Midnight. It's interesting to compare and contrast how both movies deal with the ups and downs of romantic relationships.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Rurouni Kenshin - Obviously the Japanese can do justice in making live action adaptations of anime/manga properties than the Americans can ever hope to because this one was awesome. Takeru Satoh looks and plays the part well of Kenshin to the point of his "Oro!" catchphrase coming close to eclipsing that of seiyuu Mayo Suzukaze. Other than Kanryu's theme music sounding too corny, I couldn't find no other fault with this movie.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Jagten (The Hunt). A kindergarten teacher is accused of being a pedophile (spoiler, he's innocent), almost the entire town is out for blood on the word of a single child. Well worth watching, but it can be difficult to stomach, if you're not prepared for it.

I'm not sure if there is an English dub, I have a DVD of the Danish version, with English subs.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Just saw Her (2013). I'm hesitant to say I like it, as I don't know the general response it's received on the interwebs, but...I liked it.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

I've been on a movie kick, today.

I finished Die Welle. Aside from being a good way to work on my German, it's an outright terrifying movie and concept, demonstrating the power of groupthink with one of the most easily-manipulated groups of people on earth - high school students.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:I'm hesitant to say I like it

You should never be hesitant to say you like something... unless it's like hateful nazi crap or something like that...

Also Her has gotten a very favorable response.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:13 am

Mainly I was worried about SJ types complaining it was "problematic" or something like that.

But if it doesn't win something I'm gonna be pissed.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:06 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Mainly I was worried about SJ types complaining it was "problematic" or something like that.

Hope i'm not putting you on a rough spot but in which way could the film have been perceived as "problematic"? Admittedly i haven't seen it myself but i'm a bit curious.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:43 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:Mainly I was worried about SJ types complaining it was "problematic" or something like that.
Oh, the movie has problems all right; it still seems to be getting positive response in some respects.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Hope i'm not putting you on a rough spot but in which way could the film have been perceived as "problematic"? Admittedly i haven't seen it myself but i'm a bit curious.

"Oh, so this movie is about a man whose girlfriend is a computer? So, he 'owns' his girlfriend and she's less human than he is? What a chauvinist fantasy!"

Y'know, ignoring that this is discussed in the film.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Interesting. Personally I mainly want to see it just so I can see how it/the message compares to waifus. :popcorn:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Film and Video”