GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 pm

Kaysow wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:I really enjoyed Diebuster. Actually, I liked it more than Gunbuster. The overall storyline seemed more cohesive between episodes and the directing was more focused. At the end, the link to the original, really made it fun.


Is it really at all comparable to Gainax' earlier masterworks? It looks like most of their newer stuff, which have appeared pretty shallow to me...


To me, Diebuster is a great anime because it combines a number of elements: good story, strong characters, meaningful character development, good acting, great animation quality, and cool action sequences. Story wise, it is far from shallow. While the basic plot is nothing new: save the world from aliens, it is executed in a pretty unique (or at least interesting) fashion. The same could be said for Gainax's earlier works, as well. With Diebuster, it is the strong characters that really made this one work. The interaction between Lark and Nono was well-done and believable. The ending was sad but necessary. It was really one of Gainax's better endings, too, because it was satisfying and not a cop-out mind-fuck like they do sometimes.

I also think the directing of Diebuster is better and the story more cohesive than Gunbuster. I think Anno, when he did Gunbuster, wasn't quite sure what he was going for. Gunbuster tried to be a comedy, a drama, and a coming-of-age story all in one. The elements were all there, but were scattered. I don't think Anno really put them together well enough. To me, it seemed forced. Like certain scenes screamed: "THIS IS THE DRAMA SCENE, FEEL SAD NOW!"

Diebuster, though, was directed (by Kazuya Tsurumaki) in a style that is more akin to FLCL, but managed to portray the drama, comedy, and coming-of-age stuff more fluidly, and believably. It had more focus, and seemed to know exactly what sort of story to tell from the very beginning.

Definitely check out Diebuster. It isn't shallow by any means, it is very fun, and you'll be entertained. Plus, there is Groovin' Magic.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20675
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:05 pm

Diebuster was a fair-to-good anime sitting squarely in Gunbuster's shadow.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
User avatar
Posts: 1200
Joined: Jan 04, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 pm

Just finished Diebuster, it was incredible. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch gunbuster so I guess the ending made to sense to me, the one where the 2 red lights appear in the sky.

Groovin' Magic!!!
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Executor
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mar 23, 2007
Location: Banned

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Executor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:24 pm

TheMessiah wrote:that is one open girl ^_~

Indeed>_> Hoped there was shaving<_<*runs*

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:31 pm

Honestly, I'm really torn on Diebuster and Gunbuster as to which I like better.

Gunbuster is early Anno, his commercial directing debut. Talent is there, the man is amazing, but it's not really cohesive. Gunbuster was meant to be 4 episodes. The first 4 eps were written by Toshio Okada. Due to the popularity of Gunbuster, another 2 episodes were approved, these 2 written by Anno himself. Amazing work, but sort of semi tacked on. Anno was still experimenting here, and some of what he tried worked, and some of it failed. He learned from his mistakes and made better work down the road. Not say Gunbuster is not awesome, because it really is.

Diebuster was conceieved to be 6 episodes, and the story holds together better. Kazuya Tsurumaki has several projects under his belt at this point, and therefore a much better idea of what will be successful and what won't be. I'm not saying he's a better director than Anno, I'm saying he has more of an idea of what he's doing than Anno did back in 1988. Diebuster is an amazing work in it's own right. I swear to god, Lal'c's screaming tirade at Nono in ep. 6 brought me to tears. (ok, both Gunbuster and Dibuster brought me to tears multiple times, I'm an emotional person, I admit it).

And obviously, Anno seems to have much faith in Tsurumaki, as he appears to be Anno's right hand man on Rebuild.

slothen wrote:YUNG FREUD? what the hell.....


It's Jung Freud, after Carl Jung, and Sigmund Freud. Anno's really into psychology, remember?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sep 12, 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby slothen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 pm

cat42 wrote:
slothen wrote:YUNG FREUD? what the hell.....


It's Jung Freud, after Carl Jung, and Sigmund Freud. Anno's really into psychology, remember?


I can't believe I mispelled it with a "Y." but i picked up on that immediately, my post is sort of a general WTF to Anno's work. The name Jung Freud is just so blatantly lifted I had to rewatch the scene to make sure I wasn't mishearing it.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:18 pm

cat42 wrote:Gunbuster is early Anno, his commercial directing debut. Talent is there, the man is amazing, but it's not really cohesive.[...] sort of semi tacked on. Anno was still experimenting here, and some of what he tried worked, and some of it failed.


Finally, somebody who agrees with me! I was getting a little worried there for a minute. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I think that because Anno is acclaimed and because Gunbuster is a classic, people have a lot of nostalgia for this work and have trouble viewing it objectively. To reiterate, both are awesome, but Diebuster was just put together more skillfully.

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Groovin' Magic!!!


Keep on singin' it and someday you'll be a Nonoriri, too :D
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 am

Gunbuster was meant to be 4 episodes. The first 4 eps were written by Toshio Okada. Due to the popularity of Gunbuster, another 2 episodes were approved, these 2 written by Anno himself.


Huh. That explains the sudden change in tone. It's one of my favorite animes ever for those brilliant final 2 episodes, though.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sep 12, 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:42 am

So I've finished watching gunbuster and it was pretty cool, the ending was confusing.


Whats the premise of Diebuster?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20675
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:46 am

slothen wrote:Whats the premise of Diebuster?


Meanwhile, back in the solar system...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 2558
Joined: Sep 12, 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 am

oh.. durr. 15000 years. Kay.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Posts: 789
Joined: Jul 13, 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kaysow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:
Kaysow wrote:Is it really at all comparable to Gainax' earlier masterworks? It looks like most of their newer stuff, which have appeared pretty shallow to me...


Definitely check out Diebuster. It isn't shallow by any means, it is very fun, and you'll be entertained. Plus, there is Groovin' Magic.


I guess I will be watching it then. But first, I'll need to find someplace where the new Gunbuster DVD isn't so damned expensive.
Actually, I borrowed the tapes from a priest I know maybe 7-8 years ago, and I liked it, but can't really remember much. Except the timetravelling-part being depressive.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 23026
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:59 am

Fun Fact: Jung Freud's VA :arrow: Asuka's (sometimes batshit crazy) Mama Kyoko. :shock:

I've only seen the first 2(?) episodes of Gunbuster, haven't seen any of Diebuster yet. I'll probably watch it through the magic of the internet sometime this week, then chime in with my thoughts. It seems cool so far, though it sucks that piece of music (Noriko's training scene in episode 1) had to be changed to something else. Was it really the Chariots of Fire theme or just a parody of it??


From what I've seen though, seeing "2015 AD" and "tsukubu..." made me smile. Nice how Anno carried those over into Eva. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:(Noriko's training scene in episode 1) had to be changed to something else. Was it really the Chariots of Fire theme or just a parody of it??


It's not Chariots of Fire, but its a song that sounds very familiar. Because of that they changed it for the US DVD release, fearing a potential lawsuit. I personally have trouble believing some major studio is even aware this song exists, or would even go through the hassle of suing Gainax over such an old anime.

From what I've seen though, seeing "2015 AD" and "tsukubu..." made me smile. Nice how Anno carried those over into Eva. ^_^


Don't you mean tsuzuku?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

XX
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 32
Joined: Mar 26, 2007
Contact:

They're (not) the same

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby XX » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:32 pm

I don't think in 'Aim for the Top 2! DieBuster' as a real sequel, although it was a sequel. For me is more a tribute to GAINAX "old school" works, including 'Aim for the Top! Gunbuster'.

Hideaki Anno's work from Kazuya Tsurumaki's vision. After all, Anno was Tsurumaki's mentor.

The project to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of GAINAX took it own way in order to express, with less experimental narrative, the same values of the original 'Gunbuster'.

Both series are great, different perspectives.

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 180
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: USA

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:52 pm

So Diebuster is what happens durring the 12k years that Noriko and One-Sama are gone, right? Sounds mildly interesting...is it licensed?
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20675
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Towards the end of that interval.

Licensed by Bandai a couple of months ago
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-30/anime-la-bandai-visual-report
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:01 pm

Rahaquiel-2D1S wrote:So Diebuster is what happens durring the 12k years that Noriko and One-Sama are gone, right? Sounds mildly interesting...is it licensed?


I wouldn't try to think of it as "this is what happens while Noriko and Oneesama are gone." It really tells it's own, independent story with a few nods here and there to the original. And I believe it was licensed by Bandai Visual USA and given an outrageous sticker price. I think I'll wait for the seven disc box set (if it ever comes out) of Gunbuster, Diebuster, and the Gunbuster vs. Diebuster movie before I spend any cash on it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 244
Joined: Apr 02, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zkh » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:14 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote: Gunbuster vs. Diebuster movie before I spend any cash on it.


Do you have any info on the movie? Just what the hell is it?

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:56 pm

It's a compilation film of the 2 of them. That is all I know.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.


Return to “Related Works & People”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests