Do pilots need to throw up the LCL after the battle?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
InnerSphere
Embryo

Do pilots need to throw up the LCL after the battle?

•      
  •      

Postby InnerSphere » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 am

I was wondering, it was never shown what happen with the LCL in th children's body after the battles. Do they need to throw it up?

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:49 am

I don't believe throw up is the right term.
Assuming their body rejects it (which, it might not) they would probably cough it out of their lungs.
However, because it's oxygenated, the body might tolerate it, and it might just absorb into the bloodstream, and it would be given off as waste when the body chooses to do so.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 am

Man, Eva fandom has ruined me. I always took it for granted it was based on something in real life but it's wikipedia page "liquid breathing" is really down on the topic, so apparently it's not as simple as EVA has let us believe. So I guess it's whatever babies do with amniotic fluid, which apparently is cought it up?

Tangent: I dislike the rebuilds for 'bloodenizing' LCL too much. I've always much preferred it as the amniotic fluid/primordial soup substance.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:[...]amniotic fluid[...]

Yeah, this was more so what I was looking for...
Man, cutting my coffee intake down has it's drawbacks.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:Yeah, this was more so what I was looking for...

Wikipedia does say they actually "liquid breathe" a rat on camera in the film The Abyss , based on James Cameron's experience with deep sea diving so...gotta watch that movie. But the wikipedia page makes it seem forbiddingly difficult.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:Wikipedia does say they actually "liquid breathe" a rat on camera in the film The Abyss , based on James Cameron's experience with deep sea diving so...gotta watch that movie. But the wikipedia page makes it seem forbiddingly difficult.

Rodents can do it because they're small enough that matters of scale don't come into play. Breathing a few ounces in and out is one thing, but moving a couple of liters of liquid every second is another matter entirely. It seems we're just too big to do it effectively.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote: So I guess it's whatever babies do with amniotic fluid, which apparently is cought it up? .

It's actually squeezed out during the birth process. There's some strong squeezing going on, that's also why some newborns may have weird head shapes depending on how late or early the water broke. (to be fair, baby heads are fairly soft)

Not sure what they do with cesarian babies, probably put in a tube to remove it.

View Original PostMelchior wrote:it might just absorb into the bloodstream, and it would be given off as waste when the body chooses to do so.

Probably this - in ep 9, Asuka and Shinji go straight from crashlanding to arguing, doesn't look like there was a "LCL removal pause" in between.

It's not just any olde fluid, but, "the source of life", so it makes sense that it would be less problematic. They DO presumably have Ritsuko regularly monitoring the kids to make sure their lungs don't go poof.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

LCL behaves exactly like air unless it will make Shinji suffer to be a liquid.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Personally I prefer to believe they have to cough up their lungs every time they get out of the plug. It's just more fun that way.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”