FML General Thread [5]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Signs you should be writing music for others and not trying to perform it yourself:

1. When you realize you can't stand the sound of your own voice.
2. When you're male and the voice you heard singing the song in your head while you wrote it was female. Not surprising considering my biggest influences these days are Grimes and Neon Bunny.
3. When you keep hearing your pitch going *just a little bit off* in one part and it's like "urgh I know I can hit that note" but then when you sing it again and you hit that note correctly, there's another note that's *just a little bit* off. :sigh:

At least I'm finally creating something again, I guess.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:When you realize you can't stand the sound of your own voice.

Everyone does until they get used to how it actually sounds. Everyone.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:24 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:When you realize you can't stand the sound of your own voice.

I've always liked my voice. So smooth and sexy, that when I hear it, I want to take my clothes off and slide around the house.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Princess Asuka » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I've always liked my voice. So smooth and sexy, that when I hear it, I want to take my clothes off and slide around the house.

I like my voice too, but hearing it in recordings sounds weird.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 pm

I wish my pointless life could be consumed by the fire of fanaticism.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:41 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Signs you should be writing music for others and not trying to perform it yourself:

1. When you realize you can't stand the sound of your own voice.
2. When you're male and the voice you heard singing the song in your head while you wrote it was female. Not surprising considering my biggest influences these days are Grimes and Neon Bunny.
3. When you keep hearing your pitch going *just a little bit off* in one part and it's like "urgh I know I can hit that note" but then when you sing it again and you hit that note correctly, there's another note that's *just a little bit* off. :sigh:

Maybe you're not doing the right song. Usually when I'm preparing for a performance or cover I record myself singing the song, then try making variations to make it closer to the original or to make it sound good. If I can't do that I give it up and switch to another song. It's weird that sometimes I can hear myself singing the song perfectly, but then I record it, listen to it, and realise I was singing it wrong the whole way. But by applying variation and improving my singing based on the recording and subsequently re-recording to notice any differences, then applying those changes in real life, I can usually get a pretty good sound except on the songs which are totally out of my league (songs sung by female singers, most metal songs, and most of the stuff done by Fall Out Boy).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:I've always liked my voice. So smooth and sexy, that when I hear it, I want to take my clothes off and slide around the house.

If you mean on your belly, I thought I was the only person that did this.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 am

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:I like my voice too, but hearing it in recordings sounds weird.
I can never make a good recording of my voice. I like it when I hear it, but not when I hear it played back. I don't have much control over my voice pitch, either. Although, I do love to do impressions. I can pretend to be Sean Connery, Dr. Evil, and a German, among others.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 am

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:I like my voice too, but hearing it in recordings sounds weird.

Actually, this is a bit more accurate to how I actually feel.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Maybe you're not doing the right song.

But I wrote the song. If it's not me doing it, then who? :tongue:

Retooling the song in my head, I'm actually starting to hear it in a male voice that sounds at least passably similar to my own.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:37 am

Ditto. I've often been told I have a nice singing voice though I apparently sing 'wrong', whatever that means.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:19 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:But I wrote the song. If it's not me doing it, then who? :tongue:

Retooling the song in my head, I'm actually starting to hear it in a male voice that sounds at least passably similar to my own.

Most of the songs I write for myself are pretty shit. I guess it's harder to find the right notes when you don't ahve anything to compare to except for whatever you envisioned in your head when you were writing the song.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 am

So another user in another forum i'm part of send me this moderately long PM i still haven't gotten around to replying to and kinda don't want to. Not because i don't want to talk to him (i do) or because i don't really know what to say, but simply because... Well, too nervous. Cue me avoiding the PM "while i clear some things up and think of what to write" and feeling considerably guilty for "brushing him off" like that.

Of course it's not really this incident in particular, but it's stuff like this (which happens regularly) that remind that not only i have some pretty serious anxiety, but that it sucks living with anxiety.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 am

View Original PostDream wrote:So another user in another forum i'm part of send me this moderately long PM i still haven't gotten around to replying to and kinda don't want to. Not because i don't want to talk to him (i do) or because i don't really know what to say, but simply because... Well, too nervous. Cue me avoiding the PM "while i clear some things up and think of what to write" and feeling considerably guilty for "brushing him off" like that.

Of course it's not really this incident in particular, but it's stuff like this (which happens regularly) that remind that not only i have some pretty serious anxiety, but that it sucks living with anxiety.

At least you can read the PM. I've wasted entire days just working up the courage to actually read a PM or thread because I was nervous. :lol:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:57 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Everyone does until they get used to how it actually sounds. Everyone.

Exactly. I used to think I sung like an amputee, but now I kinda dig it. Those high notes are still out of my reach, but I can at least manage otherwise. Besides, I don't consider it "singing" as much as "vocals". You don't have to have a good singing voice to get what you want to say across (just ask Dave Mustaine).

Can't comment too much on the subject of writing music, we do covers only.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Since there seems to be at least some confusion: by "how [one's voice] actually sounds", I meant "how it sounds to everyone except you", and that includes recordings.

When you speak, you hear your voice two different ways:
(A) via vibrations that travel directly from your vocal chords to your ears
(B) from sound waves that propagate through the air and into your ears

Other listeners along with recording devices will only be able to perceive your voice via (B), so this is, for all intents and purposes, how you "really" sound. Of course, people almost invariably hate the way they sound to everybody else.

I've heard that if one works a lot with self-recordings, your voice gradually adjusts to close the gap between "private" and "public" voices, but I'm not sure how true this is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Anyone who says "There's no harm in trying," or a variant there of, is a fucking liar.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Anyone who says "There's no harm in trying," or a variant there of, is a fucking liar.

:chug: Hear, hear; If you don't try, you can never fail, and that's good enough for me

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Day 2: still no luck, though I actually forced myself to sing all the parts. I think I'm going to try again next time I have availability to record in a softer voice...

Of course that will make it sound like even more of a Halfaxa-era Grimes ripoff. Except sung by a male.

I guess there are worse things in life one could rip off though.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Princess Asuka » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:34 pm

FML... My parents fail to realize that my life won't be peaceful until they get rid of my 15 year old brother. I don't care if he goes to juvie, a mental institution, foster care, anywhere as long the violent, foulmouthed, little psycho is gone. Then I will be at peace. ^_^

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Anyone who says "There's no harm in trying," or a variant there of, is a fucking liar.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”