3.0 to hit North American theaters in January 2014

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment is scheduled to debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 spoiler policy and NOT post any spoilers outside the password-protected subforum.
hui43210
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:54 pm

View Original PostYokai wrote:I went to the theater in Portland Oregon last Friday and it was enjoyable minus a few set backs. The image from the Evangelion subreddit sums it up nicely:
[url]http://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/1uzf5s/evangelion_333_the_theatrical_experience_in_one/[/url]

It's unfortunate, but it seems like sometimes people can hold themselves back and be a bit mature.

I may lose my shit if people are this stupid in Ottawa (Actually I'll just groan), but I wonder if I'm the only one in the world who does'nt get wtf is so funny? I mean I know, but, its not that funny, get a grip people.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Were there any F-bombs in the english dub?

or was Assuka's asshole comment the worst of it?

Mari says "fuckers!" once during an action scene. It's a bit hard to catch, but you'll notice it.

The Dragon Mask
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm

I also went to the Portland showing. It was a huge line, way more than I expected, and I couldn't believe we would all fit in until we got in the building. It seemed bigger on the inside!

There were some cosplayers, mostly just girls with blue dyed hair though. I sat on the right side, midway down the line of seats. If anyone noticed the girl with the pretty accurate dye and cut hair job along with those headband things for Rei as her cosplay, I was two seat rows behind with my friend and my brother.

The movie was interesting seeing in English finally. I thought for the most part the actors did well, but just as before, they were kind of screwed by the film's complete ignorance of most of them. It seemed like Funimation spelled things out more than the Japanese version, just judging from the UTW fansub though. I have a few gripes/comments about the dub though. Gendou's VA seemed really disconnected and almost indistinguishable sounding from Fuyutsuki weirdly, I suspect he was probably called in for his lines earlier than most of the other VA's given his comments early in 2013 about the state of the dub. Funimation opted to ignore the "networking" part of "networking four eyes". Makes sense, but clearly the meaning, that Mari has mysterious connections in the beaurocracy, is lost in the dub. Asuka seemed like she was a little less harsh and less whiny in the final battle, "just accept your punishment" instead of "just lay down and die", "he hit a girl when she wasn't looking" instead of simply "he hit a girl, bastard".

Kaworu's VA finally got more than three lines per movie. He reminded me of David from Prometheus, calmly assessing situations and such. His comment, that cycles of mass execution are what "the lilin call the human instrumentality project" seemed like a clarification of the original Japanese. Although there might have been more hints towards sequel theory, it still could go either way.

I can reflect the sentiments of some of the other theater goers too. There were a lot of people laughing at inappropriate points. By inappropriate, I mean like when Shinji is begging for someone to explain the situation, Misato tells him "from now on, you will do nothing", then like 7% of the theater chuckles loudly. When Shinji's with Kaworu, okay, whatever, it's juvenile but I can understand people joking about that. But when Gendou just leaves, they laughed. When Shinji is completely broken down and says, "what have I been doing with my life?!" they laughed, albeit less. It was kind of insulting, especcially to all the people there who were seeing it for the first time, like my friend who's since he is dyslexic, cannot watch subtitled movies enjoyably since it takes a while to really focus on reading. I do recall someone saying something like "they're gay!" at some point too. Geez.

The theater fucked up the movie too. A minute after Kaworu died, once Unit 13 started falling, the screen froze. The entire movie just stopped. At least the laughter there was kind of justified, it was really ironically timed, just after the utter climax of despair. It got even more wrong/funny. The next frame that appeared was Mari boob shot. Then the Wunder flying away. A theater official announced that they'll bring it back up soon, then the entire screen went black for about a minute and a half. When it came back, it was just as Kaworu said, "try not to look so sad" and everyone in the theater laughed. That last one was funny just because it was like he was talking to the audience, so it was actually cool people got a laugh out of that, since the situation was semi-tense. Then the movie ended, people left (clearly they don't remember there are previews at the end of these), and the potentially completely inaccurate preview of 4.0/Final :|| played. It was an experience.

Definitely one of the more lively theater experiences I had. Even though people were laughing at some pretty fucked up times, you could tell that most of the people there were fans, and passionate, at least in some way, about the movie. I think the audience was a little more respectful at the smaller showing for 2.0 in Portland, but having a much larger theater was kind of cool, almost a convention like feeling.

There were some trinkets/keepsakes the theater gave out, like a little card about the movie, a "Misato's fan service" something or other, and on the way out, some bumper sticker's. It was a cool experience, although for the most part, my opinion that the movie is too little too late has not changed, it was interesting, and my friend could finally see it, allowing me to talk about it. Made me wish that they would have a proper theatrical release in the US, but it just wouldn't work, unless they staggered releases of 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and then Final over the course of a year or something. That would be really cool, but only Ghibli gets proper theater support. Even though I think Anno has probably failed in making the series message more clear, since he has sacrificed so much character development, and wasted far too much screen time due to an unclear mission from the beginning, I still think if Funimation went to the trouble to play one movie every few months, culminating in Final, that would be really cool. I mean, 3.0 was basically Japan's "The Avengers" right? Why doesn't Gainax want that import money? Pacific Rim was saved by overseas reception, why can't they have faith and push for a big release?

Edit: The glitch-up at the Portland showing seemed almost set-up, since it came back at such a funny moment. Almost too perfect.
Last edited by The Dragon Mask on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:37 pm

That reddit thread got me curious, what was the age range of people at the theaters? Mine seemed to be slightly more men than women (but EGF has more guys than girls too, so no big deal) in their 20s through 30s (our theater was 18+).

Although nobody was allowed to talk anyway* (Like I mentioned before, there was laughing or giggling at various scenes with Kaworu), people seemed respectful. People chatted during the credits, but they all stayed except for 1 guy that left during. I got the sense a lot of them were otaku or at least familiar with giant robots/Eva, since there was some laughing at the preshow program and the majority stayed for the Preview.

*It's really a shame that more theaters can't be like Alamo Drafthouse with the no talk/no text policy. It'd make movie-going a lot more enjoyable for everybody, IMO.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Dragon Mask
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Mostly no older looking than late 20s from my seat. I saw one person who looked pretty darn young though, obviously not younger than 11, but no older than 15 I'd say. Mostly young men, and a lot of fan girls, which were very lively whenever Kaworu showed up.

Edit: Kaworu called the lances "lon-jai-nis, and cashius", which was a little weird. Also Shinji got a few more friendly lines, talking about specific kinds of books Rei liked, which I don't remember being detailed in the fansub. Also Spike Spencer seemed to play Shinji a little more kid like. He did his best to act more young it seems.
Last edited by The Dragon Mask on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmboy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby farmboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Drove over two and a half hours to see the showing Saturday afternoon in Regina, Saskatchewan... was only a dozen people there, kinda surprised and disappointed. Had the back row of seats to myself, no one talked or made any kind of sounds during the movie. The scenes with Wunder ship reminded me of Gundam, Gurran Lagenn and Space Battleship Yamoto all rolled together. The reviews I had read were right, it was all kinds of fucked up...

Alex
Somebody check my brain...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 pm

View Original PostValkyrie von Thanatos wrote:talking about specific kinds of books Rei liked, which I don't remember being detailed in the fansub.

In Japanese, Shinji says how Rei liked to read English books instead of "the classics" (dub).

The dub did clarify a few little things from the Japanese version of the film, but nothing I can immediately remember unless I'd watch them side by side.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Dragon Mask
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I wonder how many people here didn't see the fansub... How did you guys react? Someone should make a thread for new viewers who only saw the theater version, or just bump the old reaction thread.

As for clarification in the dub, it seems like Kaworu was even more insistent that Shinji not pull out the spears, since they are the same kind, Shinji's acting seemed like he was very aware of what he was doing, and consciously disregarding Kaworu's advice, along with manually separating the controls. Ritsuko also was more clear that Unit 9 was the original core of the Wunder I think too.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:35 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Were there any F-bombs in the english dub?

or was Assuka's asshole comment the worst of it?

Asuka says shit a bunch of times during Operation US. Funimation and Manga think swear words are super cool... :rei_meh:

And yea, the crowd I was seeing it with were talking and laughing basically non-stop.
-Dude sitting behind me was making jokes throughout the film as if he was an improv master, but I could for sure tell that he'd seen the movie before.
-One dude kept saying "how?" after Kaworu took the DSS Choker off Shinji, and most of the theater thought he was hilarious.
-People laughed throughout all of the Kaworu/Shinji scenes. At the piano, the horses, everything.
-People laughed at the SDAT, then someone made a Linkin Park joke.

It's a shame that someone like Anno can't be creative and honest and put their heart out there with their work without a bunch of people paying 11 dollars to go make fun of it in the same room with people who actually care about the work.

I guess I at least learned that there are people who watch Eva and don't become enamored with it.

And I realized that Q is a really beautiful film to just look at. Makes me wish I could have seen EoE in theaters.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:11 pm

She's 28, she can say shit if she wants to.

By adding this profanity to her character Funimation has completed her. She has become an eyepatch wearing cussing legal adult with the body of a teenager space pirate. She's like a guided waifu missile.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Singularity84
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Singularity84 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote: The dub did clarify a few little things from the Japanese version of the film, but nothing I can immediately remember unless I'd watch them side by side.

One thing I remember is that I liked how the Dub handled Shinji pulling the spears in central dogma a-bit more more so than the original (based on subs.)

Anyway, as far as my personal experience goes, I went there with my cousins, who I had watch the first two before we went. They liked them and did a surprisingly good job comprehending everything their first time watching them. It was nice to actually talk to a person about one of the few animes I like and considering I doubt I can get my friends to watch an anime, it'll probably be the last time.

The audience wasn't too bad, I went to the Brattle Theater in Boston and read this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/1uzf5s/evangelion_333_the_theatrical_experience_in_one/ before I went, which sorta spooked me. But aside from them laughing at a whopping two Kawarou scenes, they weren't bad obnoxious or whatever.
Also two girls had really good Rei and Asuka cosplays.

The Dragon Mask
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:46 am

It seems like Kaworu was more clear with Shinji that pulling out the spear's was really bad, and that he need to leave. Shinji also seemed less blind to what Kaworu was saying, and more like he wouldn't acknowledge it. Funimation's dub is better in this way than UTW's fansub, IMO, since it clarifies that Kaworu gave Shinji ample information and guidance against pulling the spears, and Shinji consciously ignored his warnings. Even though this shows Shinji to be even more blind and selfishly seeking false redemption (redoing) than the fansub did, in which it seemed Shinji was simply too dumb to notice that he was doing the wrong thing.

This is better because I think the audience need a good, clear cut example, that Shinji has to take at least some of the responsibility for his actions, and will in Final.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:56 am

Just watched the subtitled version in Los Angeles (Pasadena). Didn't see any merch available. People were very quiet and attentive in that theater. Pretty full house. Applause at the end. Enjoyed it quite a bit and I like the feeling evoked by seeing it on the big screen, especially the scene of Eva 13 descending into central dogma. The battles look gorgeous too. One line changed a bit from what I've seen before - instead of "failures of infinity" it was "failed to merge with the infinite."

For some reason there was not 4.0 preview at the end of the credits. But note to the guy complaining - that's not the ticket cashier's fault.

Yes to the above on Toji Suzuhara's shirt being sub-titled. Interestingly the end-credits were all in Japanese and only the director credits got subtitled.

I would really like to see all 4 movies at the theater whenever Final comes out!

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:For some reason there was not 4.0 preview at the end of the credits. But note to the guy complaining - that's not the ticket cashier's fault.

That's weird because I went to see it in pasadena too and it had the 4.0 preview. Maybe it's because only the dub version had it, I don't know, or maybe they had a technical problem.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 am

View Original PostValkyrie von Thanatos wrote:Asuka seemed like she was a little less harsh and less whiny in the final battle, "just accept your punishment" instead of "just lay down and die", "he hit a girl when she wasn't looking" instead of simply "he hit a girl, bastard".

Personally, that makes her really hypocrite : "accept you punishment" that they didn't even had the time to tell him the reasons for it when Mark.09 made its dynamic entry, and "hitting a girl when she wasn't looking"... I distinctly remember her first attack as from above while Shinji wasn't looking, added to the complaining that he slapped her while she spent the past 5 minutes trying to impale with a giant naginata!

---

I don't mind the cursing, it serves to show us how much time passed and jaded the main characters, and under that light even though in Japanese the characters would be less prone to swearing, for the Western audience it would rather be Asuka and Mari still not cursing with everything that happens to them that would look odd.

Now for Kaworu's warning, I admit I don't really know, since Anno was behind each seiyus so they would deliver their important lines in the precise way he wanted, it seems to me that Kaworu's vagueness about what would happen if Shinji's pull out the spears, and the latter's apparent stroke of madness that made him not realize that he was doing the wrong thing was all made on purpose.

You know, that's pretty funny because the French subtitles had gone the other way : in it Kaworu was even more vague and cryptic in his warnings, while Shinji's lines conveyed the feeling that they were really backed against a corner and that they didn't had any choice but to continue forward, making him more sympathetic.
Q is truly a film where every phrase can completely change the meaning of a whole scene, probably a symptom of Anno making the movie rooted on subtleties and ambiguities.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 am

View Original PostApolloIVtv wrote:That's weird because I went to see it in pasadena too and it had the 4.0 preview. Maybe it's because only the dub version had it, I don't know, or maybe they had a technical problem.

I am guessing it just wasn't subtitled for whatever reason.

BlackberryMilk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BlackberryMilk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

I personally felt the Portland showing was fun, almost like everyone in the whole room was in on the joke and no one was left out. The group made the best of an unfortunate situation and enjoyed themselves anyway--I know I had fun.

And to top it off, it was one of the only nights that wasn't freezing, so waiting in line wasn't terrible.
PSN: HTMLOL

Kid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kid » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm going to be seeing it tomorrow, so that's exciting.
The tough thing is trying to figure out how many people will show up and when to get there. I just can never tell with this state.
I'll be taking lots of pictures and keeping my fingers crossed that a riot over who is the best girl breaks out.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

I am mystified that almost every account of people going to see Q describes more or less laughter from the audience. What on earth are they laughing at; or is it just their own embarrassment at their bafflement?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I am mystified that almost every account of people going to see Q describes more or less laughter from the audience. What on earth are they laughing at; or is it just their own embarrassment at their bafflement?

Is everyone laughing because "Haha! Kaworu's gay"? I mean, I can't remember anyone on this forum thinking that or anything else in this film was funny in the slightest.

...unless they're all laughing at the horses. (I still wouldn't get it, but at least I've seen that reaction before.)
PM me if you want specific spoilers for Shin Eva 3.0+1.0, but don't want the whole movie spoiled for you!

Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

[Twitter] [YouTube] [Twitch]

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”