If the house is a-rockin'... [RML Thread 3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:15 am

I always have to stand back when people talk about such problems among anime fandom. Coming from video game fandom, and with knowledge of how that industry has worked out over the years, I view the quick to anger/argue and so called "entitled" attitudes of anime fans a plus. Maybe if vidya fans were more like anime fans the vidya industry wouldn't be so shit.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Instead, I found that I was better off and comfortable appreciating real young women who aren't necessarily celebrities but normal.

Are you implying that you watched anime for the "women" in them?

CJD wrote:I view the quick to anger/argue and so called "entitled" attitudes of anime fans a plus. Maybe if vidya fans were more like anime fans the vidya industry wouldn't be so shit.

To my knowledge you have just described video games fans as well.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote: To my knowledge you have just described most [s]video games[/s] fans of things in general.

FTFY ^_^
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Are you implying that you watched anime for the "women" in them?

No, never did because... After being exposed to a great deal of idol-related media, I asked myself, what good would come out from a one-sided, one-way relationship with a static, drawn image of an unattainable ideal? How people would judge me from the wallpaper I use, or what I watch or listen to?

Anyway, I am more happier that I was able to socialize easily with people around my age, sharing a common interest without being looked down by others.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I asked myself, what good would come out from a one-sided, one-way relationship with a static, drawn image of an unattainable ideal?

I'd say you asked yourself the wrong question, pondering on the artistic value and entertainment factor you'd get out of the experience would be better.

How people would judge me from the wallpaper I use, or what I watch or listen to?

Anyway, I am more happier that I was able to socialize easily with people around my age, sharing a common interest without being looked down by others.

You don't have to be so open about your hobby if it embarasses you, I'm a closet anime fan myself, but that doesn't mean I don't have other hobbies that are socially accepted.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:To my knowledge you have just described video games fans as well.

That's what the industry would like you to think, but not by a long shot. That's just the vocal minority. We're talking less than a hundred thousand versus the millions of gamers world wide. And the publishers know this, that's why said vocal minority has essentially zero power in the industry. Oh publishers and devs do throw them a bone every once in a while but it's never anything substantial, always something small that will win them some brownie points for pandering without hurting the mass market appeal of their games.

It's even worse because somehow the entire consumer-creator relationship has got twisted beyond recognition. It's now at a point where the very people arguing and fighting for consumers get attacked by those very same consumers. The creators, the publishers, have managed to convince consumers that they're on "their side," and that it's these no good agitators among the community who are the problem. That's why you'll see stuff like Bioware's shenanigans with Mass Effect 3 get vehemently defended. The industry, the publishers, developers, and journalists, have made the people who complain out to be the villains, while they're just "Good people who love making games/talking about games trying to do their job, which these dirty "entitled" fans are jeopardizing." And then they shine spotlights on it and cherry pick the worst stuff and make it seem like the dissidents are more numerous than they are, because nothing makes someone fight harder for something their passionate about than the idea that it's in danger.

It's all a crock of shit, and it's why over the past 5 years I've been grown utterly disgusted with not just the video game industry itself, but video game fandom.

Anyway, since this is more of a "FML" post than an "RML" post, I'll end by saying that's one of the reasons I like the anime industry and fandom. Yea they may be self centered. Good, they're consumers, they should be self centered. Anime isn't free. When the question of whether you'll pay for something is up you have the right to be self centered. Yea they may expect more of the industry than is reasonable. Good, that's the only way the industry will progress in a direction that is to their favor. And yea, they may get angry quickly and refuse to purchase products that don't pander to them. Fucking good. You should want them to pander to you. That's how the relationship works. Creator creates product and then if you like it, if it panders to you, you buy it. If it doesn't, you don't, and you complain loudly so they know why you didn't buy it. Anime fans in Japan have managed to mold their industry into one that is, while highly expensive, ideal for their entertainment. I admire the fuck out of that, and wish vidya fans could rally and do the same.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:11 am

So in this post I bemoaned the fact that I couldn't get Music Goes On to sound right on my headphones. I was told I'd need an external woofer to get what I was looking for, or that what I wanted wasn't something headphones could provide, which led to frustration; my inability to articulate what it was I was actually looking for led to my getting responses that weren't exactly helpful. Happily, having someone at work who's a bit of an audiophile did help, since I could play the song for him and point out exactly what it was I was looking to reproduce via headphones. He gave me some suggestions and I started poking around online on my own.

I started with a Fiio E6 amp (I actually started with that earlier, as noted in the FML post), but all that did was make things louder and distort the song. I didn't want it to be louder, and I didn't really want mega-bass, either; I just wanted to hear the bits I couldn't hear with my normal phones. My friend at work explained that the sub-bass bits are normally handled by a completely separate speaker system, which is why sub-woofers are sold and installed separately from normal speakers. This is something you won't find in normal headphones, but it is available on higher end phones. So, after much dithering and even more research I finally settled on the Studiophile Q40s. Per internet recommendations I also went ahead and bought a FiiO e11 amp. The nice thing about the e11 is that it's battery powered and has a high gain option. As it turns out, this is important.

So, these two items arrived last week. I opened them up, hooked everything together, and . . . I have bass. Between the amp and the phones the song sounds exactly the same as it does in my car, and I don't have to blow out my ears to hear it. Moreover, the bass doesn't overwhelm the rest of the song -- I can hear it, but I can hear the mids and highs just as well. IOW the song sounds the way it's supposed to, even over the phones. RML!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:46 am

Passed my first medic exam! :D

First pay check from state imminent woo

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Attended a job interview.

Went well.

Probably won't get the job.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Meditation brings a state of being/feeling unlike any other. Might be somewhat hammy with this but ever since i started looking into these kind of stuff i feel my life has gotten much better. Certainly less stressful and more calm/natural.

At least when i remember to do it right :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 am

I have one thing to say:

Sherlock series 3.

The end.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 am

That would be this iteration, I presume.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm a sweet angel. ^_^
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I'm a sweet angel. ^_^
Yes, yes you are ^_^

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Had my first written test in Japanese today and nailed it. Had to listen to our Sensei say various phrases and translate them into English and then she put up some words in Hiragana and had us translate them into English.

100% on my first test in class... I'd say I'm doing pretty well so far.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Princess Asuka » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Just found my 18 year old brother is moving out this weekend! :D

This is a RML because he's an asshole towards me and I really don't like him. Only downside is he refuses to tell my parents where he's moving to.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Looks like I'm going to go to Basel, in late March, this year. Anyone live in the Basel area? What about Dresden? Freiburg?
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 am

Finally managed to upgrade my browser to Internet Explorer 11 (I have Chrome and Firefox too, but I use IE a lot out of habit). This fixed all the annoying problems I'd been having with the browser recently (for example, whenever I closed a tab a message would pop up saying IE had stopped working when actually it still was working, and certain videos wouldn't play either).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Nice article in the weekend edition of the Financial Times based on interviews with my son (who is a pianist well-known in contemporary music circles). He talks in particular about his artistic relationships with the British composer Harrison Birtwistle and the American composer Elliott Carter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Working on music and actually creating something has made me a happier person over the past week, even though the results are mixed so far. I'm proud of myself and my self esteem is on the way up.

^_^
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”