DSS Choker

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:48 am

I think it's a simple coincidence, what would be the point of making the DSS similar of the symbol of a homo-marriage equality campaign?
Shinji's sexual orientations have nothing to do with his current situation, hell the homo subtext is even downplayed in Q compared to episode 24, due to the fact that Shinji and Kaworu are on a more equal foot in their friendship!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:08 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Clearly an S/K fan must have seen the movie and used the choker design as a logo.

Ha, I didn't even consider making this joke back when it was a thing. It would have been so good, too!

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Even if we taken Anno into account, this would be a fairly big stretch...
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Ukago
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ukago » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:11 am

Clearly Kaworu wants to fuck Shinji, but in the end it's Shinji that fucks Kaworu - seams like a gay marriagie to me hahah ;)

But srlsy - logo stands mostly 4 human righst and it fills in nicely into the context as colar prevents aweknings and impact... even if it might be a little stretched.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:28 am

Or, y'know, it could be a good old-fashioned "equals" sign (=), a mathematical symbol that predates both Q and the FB campaign....

Or a total coincidence. Because two short, parallel lines aren't exactly the rarest of symbols.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 pm

/joke

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote: hell the homo subtext is even downplayed in Q compared to episode 24, due to the fact that Shinji and Kaworu are on a more equal foot in their friendship!

Gonna have to disagree with you on the whole "Downplayed" aspect. It really goes from the borderline of Subtext and just Text.

OT: I found it symbolically obvious. If we take Kaworu as a Christ figure (HE DIED FOR OUR/Shinji'S SINS!), the DSS Choker is the burden that he lifts.

Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

NOTE: "Yoke" is a piece of wood that is used to hold two animals together, usually oxen, to help them share the load in pulling a till or a buggy of some sort. The key here is that the yoke allows the animals to support each other in pulling the heavy weight.[/quote]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 am

View Original Postsaintdane05 wrote:[Gonna have to disagree with you on the whole "Downplayed" aspect. It really goes from the borderline of Subtext and just Text.

It's a question of point of view of course but the fact Shinji isn't clinging to Kaworu because he's desperate for some comfort like he was in NGE and the absence of really homo-erotic scenes such as the bath they shared with Kaworu standing up and Shinji staying entranced by the view while blushing profusely made me feel the homo subtext as downplayed.
Of course there's still some, like when they first played the piano when Shinji blushed slightly when their hands touched or the end of the stargazing scene, but it's not as blatant as it was in NGE, and feel more like a deep bond of friendship, at least that's how I felt it.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ukago
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ukago » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:59 am

Anyway, in many cultures, homosexual love was perceived as highest form of evolution of the human soul - symetrical union.

Since EVA-13 is the highest form of Lilin, it fits into that concept nicely, especially when you keep in mind that it was Shinji's desynchronisation from Kaworu that fucked everything up.

" Gender shouldn't get in the way of love " :)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 am

View Original PostUkago wrote:Since EVA-13 is the highest form of Lilin, it fits into that concept nicely, especially when you keep in mind that it was Shinji's desynchronisation from Kaworu that fucked everything up.

Except EVA-13 is an ADAM, the antithesis of Lilith and its offsprings, you can't find more opposite to a human than an ADAM.

Sorry to break your metaphor! :D

Ukago
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ukago » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am

Is Adam or is it made from Adam by Lilin, as part of our artifical evolution rituals? B-)

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am

From what I remember, 13 absorbed Lilith. I think.

Life is truth, and never a dream...
All souls know this from birth...
The truth is something that is chosen and grasped...
Something discovered with one's vision and will.
Only by gaining that does the seeker become truth himself,
a cord that connects past and future.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:58 pm

^
It absorbed the 12th Angel, which might had absorbed the liquid remnants of Lilith(that would explain why it briefly mutated into a giant Rei head), but we don't know what made it awake, if it was the 12th Angel part of the Lilith part of the "cocktail".

View Original PostUkago wrote:Is Adam or is it made from Adam by Lilin, as part of our artifical evolution rituals? B-)

It's an ADAM, one of the four present in Second Impact, Mari specifically identify him as such :
01:18:09 {Mari} Guess it's Awakened...
01:18:12 {Mari} It's one of the surviving Adams!

You can't make it clearer.

Ukago
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ukago » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:11 pm

And yet it's made by Gendo.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm

^
I fail to see your point.

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's an ADAM, one of the four present in Second Impact, Mari specifically identify him as such :

Again, did she really say "one"?
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 pm

^
What do you mean by "one", she called it a surviving ADAM, there isn't ten thousands ADAM, just four.

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm

I mean, that it may be 2 ADAMS(es?). It has 2 pairs of arms, 2 pairs of eyes, 2 pilots and so on.
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm

It doesn't matter if it's one ADAM or two fused, that's still ADAM(s), so they can't be the "highest for of Lilin" as Ukago said.

Anyway I think we're widely off-topic here, perhaps we should continue our discussion on the topic about EVA-13.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:35 pm

View Original PostSigner wrote:Again, did she really say "one"?

Replied here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”