Does Sadamoto Ship Rei or Asuka?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:Ironically that's a sensitive point that Manga Shinji doesn't deliver very sensitively. I think some of the Rei stuff Sadamoto does add is just gold, but he adds a lot of other stuff between Rei and Shinji that I think doesn't live up to them and has a hard time sharing focus. For example, the manga's Matarael-version kiss: Good Rei-Shinji detail, but please not in the middle of the 'you won't even hold me' kiss!

well, it ISNT the "You won't even hold me" kiss. We have a whole different dynamic in the manga, and it's set at an earlier point.

Also: Rei is in there because Asuka brought her up. Because she's jelly. Or rather, she doesn't want Rei to have something she doesn't have, it's not about Shinji at all, and that is the point.
It's about Asuka making herself feel superior to both her fellow pilots; And, most importantly, making herself feel like an adult.
She's only after Shinji because Kaji said no earlier that day.

That's not too far from the point in the original episode 11.

Heck, it's not too far from the point in episode 15, if you think about it, but that's a whole different can of worms. But she was signalling that she wants one thing, and got pissed that she didn't get another.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:58 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:well, it ISNT the "You won't even hold me" kiss. We have a whole different dynamic in the manga, and it's set at an earlier point.
Heck, it's not too far from the point in episode 15, if you think about it, but that's a whole different can of worms. But she was signalling that she wants one thing, and got pissed that she didn't get another.

That's kind of what I mean. From Asuka's PoV, it's a similar moment, and it's consistent with her character, but Sadamoto is shifting it to Shinji's PoV. In 'real' terms play the some role in their relationship, but the emotional reception is changed by the presentation. It makes sense as an artistic decision, I just think NGE handled it better.

This thread has actually changed my mind about what Anno and Sadamoto seem to be doing. I'm probably going to watch 2.0 again with fresh eyes.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Does ep 15 actually show us Asuka's PoV, tho, or are you just injecting what you learnt much later in 22'?

See that shot where we see his face all red and her's normal, or the focus on his ever twitching oxygen-deprived hand...

You also simply need different narrative techniques for different media - the manga can hardly emulate swift flashing images, or long silence with occassional BG noise, for example.

saintdane05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby saintdane05 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 pm

...Everyone remembers that Rei is a clone of his mother, right? I find that just a bit creepy. [/i]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 am

View Original Postsaintdane05 wrote:...Everyone remembers that Rei is a clone of his mother, right? I find that just a bit creepy. [/i]

Nobody forgot, though just saying 'clone' is oversimplifying things. However delving into what exactly their relationship is and how that should affect anything is a rather large discussion all on it's own that would detract from this thread.

THIS THREAD would probably be the best place to go into that topic if you want to.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am

View Original Postsaintdane05 wrote:...Everyone remembers that Rei is a clone of his mother, right? I find that just a bit creepy. [/i]

Yeah, pretty much why Shinji adored Rei so much(she was comforting To him)

and.... yes incest is creepy but RxS isn't that bad

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 am

If in some weird Eva universe future LRS actually happened, I wouldn't find it creepy; I'd find it tragic. and I'd still be kind of giddy about it.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Sadamoto is a wise man if he is Rei X Shinji supporter.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Sadamoto is a wise man if he is Rei X Shinji supporter.

I'd say by the end of the manga the LRS Maru has been thoroughly sunk.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Incest just makes the ship that just much hotter in people's opinion(Not mine personally). But, have you seen the reaction to My Little Sister Can't be this Cute.

That being said if you come to Evangelion for the shipping your probably going to disappointed.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

What is this strange talk of Rei/Shinji relationship being incest?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Rei being a clone of his mother, 'n all?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:What is this strange talk of Rei/Shinji relationship being incest?

incest in·cest (ĭn'sěst')
n.
Sexual relations between relatives who are forbidden by law to marry; for example, between father and daughter or mother and son.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 pm

One could argue by that definition that it isn't incest, considering Rei isn't Shinji's mom, nor are they forbidden by law to marry.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, I guess it might be incest, no reason not to do it though, haha.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm

I don't feel like it would be incest. Rei never had to push Shinji out of her growler like Yui did. Plus, they're like 2 totally different people, personality wise.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

My life motto.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'd say by the end of the manga the LRS Maru has been thoroughly sunk.

Tragic end =/= never happened.

Never mind that Rei only looks like Yui.
Stoic, unerathly warrior poet with a hidden caring side =/= manipulative, if well-intentioned mad scientist mastermind.

You'd think Q would have killed this whole "It's just because she looks like Yui" thing stone dead. (At very least once he names Yui along with Gendo and Misato as people he can no longer trust, right after lamenting her demise)

You could, of course, say that this has nothing to do with the Manga or any other continuity that isn't rebuild, but seriously, are people "symbiotically smothering in a twistedly maternal way" just because they're ocassionally nice to you?
Especially if they lay on the brutal honesty thick and required you to win their respect first. (the Manga adding an extra instance when she tells him to just tell his wishes to Gendo's face instead of wondering in silence/waiting for stuff to happen. The Manga's good moments are only found here and there, but I felt that was a particularly fitting advice for her to give, since that's what she'd do, just tell stuff to people's faces. )

The Yui thing is more like a looming doom in the background, part of the waiting inevitable doom than it has anything to do with their relationship.

There's no actual family bond being horribly subverted, no westermark effect that should have formed, it's just sad, sad greek tragedy level irony.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 pm

The Greeks banged their cousins so they have no right to judge clonelove. Up yours, Homer.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:One could argue by that definition that it isn't incest, considering Rei isn't Shinji's mom, nor are they forbidden by law to marry.

Since clones aren't part of the human landscape at the moment (identical twins notwithstanding), I wouldn't expect the dictionary definitions of incest nor marriage laws to specifically mention them. Fortunately, we do have this alternate definition to cover our LRS bases:

sexual intercourse between closely related persons.

I'm not sure why I didn't just post it in the first place.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”