Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:29 am

Frozen - Much better than Tangled IMO, the animation was dazzling and the two leads were beautiful.

Friday - A laugh riot, Chris Tucker pre-Rush Hour fame was still the highlight of the film much like The Fifth Element.

Die Hard - Pretty much the only entry in the franchise worth watching IMO, the action never stops being exciting and Alan Rickman pre-Snape with his fancy suit, haircut and German accent make for a fun and menacing villain.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Saving Mr. Banks looks absolutely gagworthy.

Last night I saw The Wolf of Wall Street. If you feel like seeing The Wolf of Wall Street, consider the following alternative:
1) Rewatch Goodfellas.
2) Pretend that instead of Italian mafiosi, everyone is a crooked Wall Street stockbroker.
3) Congratulations! You've just saved an hour, a ticket fee, and a whole lot of tedium.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:05 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Last night I saw The Wolf of Wall Street. If you feel like seeing The Wolf of Wall Street, consider the following alternative:
1) Rewatch Goodfellas.
2) Pretend that instead of Italian mafiosi, everyone is a crooked Wall Street stockbroker.
3) Congratulations! You've just saved an hour, a ticket fee, and a whole lot of tedium.

I thought The Wolf of Ball Street was one of the better films of the year. It's got the Goodfellas vibe, Leo ballin' mad vagazzle and having fun with a candle, and the most hilarious drug trip in the history of ever.

It's a worthy Scorsese film, though Goodfellas will (and should) rightly go down as the better film.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote: having fun with a candle

Yeah that scene was sure awkward to watch on Christmas Day with my father.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 am

Léon: The Professional
EVERYONE!!!....Should see this film....

9/10

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Infernal Affairs - I'll be honest, I never saw The Departed before seeing this but overall this is a well crafted thriller in my book. I was confused at first as to which mole was which but the movie does a good job at putting all fears of not following well the story to rest. My only complaint would be the downer of an ending it goes out on but they made a trilogy out of this so I guess I should check that out.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

A clockwork orange
Well, this film was full of wtf moments.

Also, Beethoven ftw.

9/10

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Clockwork Orange is my favorite Kubrick and one of my top 5 films ever, 10/10
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

^Yeh, it's now one of my favorite films of all time too. ^__^

Next films I'll watch soon:
The Libertine -I've heard mixed opinions about this.
The green mile -Because Tom Hanks.
Inception

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Inception

BRAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH do-do-do-do-do-do-do BRAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH do-do-do-do-do-do-do

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I've started the Zatoichi films series and have gotten through six of them so far. Here's how I'd rank them in descending order:

The Tale of Zatoichi
Zatoichi the Fugitive
New Tale of Zatoichi
Zatoichi on the Road
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold
The Tale of Zatoichi Continues

I've also seen The Searchers, which was good but not as good as everyone makes it out to be, and Tokyo Story, which was amazing but I still like Late Spring better.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Videodrome. I don't know what to make of it. At least I got to see Debbie Harry naked.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:31 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Videodrome. I don't know what to make of it. At least I got to see Debbie Harry naked.

and stomach vaginas.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:36 am

Rocky III - Literally watched it three times in a row. It's THAT good to be worthy of being my all time favorite of the Rocky saga.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 am

Watched Braveheart with my dad on New Year's. Somehow having missed the fact that it was directed by Mel Gibson, I was not adequately prepared for the overload of kitsch in this film. There is not an ironic or self-aware bone in its body. Which is kind of charming, in a way. It's a very (very) dumb movie, but it's an entertaining one and I'd watch it again (especially with some riffing partners).

Mel Gibson's Fabio hair never stops being distracting/funny.

I also saw it cited on a list of "The 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Modern Films", which included no less than three movies directed by and/or starring Mel Gibson, and one (Pearl Harbor) from Braveheart's screenwriter. So, lol.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Cheech&Chong - Up In Smoke

...wait, what were we talking about, man?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 pm

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug -- I thought the fight scene along the rapids was fucking awesome and fluid, lots of transitions and split-second feints and counterstrokes.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

City Lights

Chaplin is a damn genius
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I also saw it cited on a list of "The 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Modern Films", which included no less than three movies directed by and/or starring Mel Gibson, and one (Pearl Harbor) from Braveheart's screenwriter. So, lol.

The sad thing about this was that I had a teacher in high school who showed us Braveheart because we were studying...something or other. Possibly Middle Ages Scotland, or kilts.

In other news; Finally got around to watching the 1979 coming of age film Breaking Away. It's basically about four guys from Bloomington, Indiana who graduate high school and don't know what to do with their lives. One of them aspires to be an Italian bicyclist.
It was pretty great, relatable, funny, etc. But the ending was a little cliche. That's what you get from a coming of age story. [/i]
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:19 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Chaplin is a damn genius

Wait until you see Monsieur Verdoux. That's probably his most sophisticated film.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Film and Video”