Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Mari-Chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mari-Chan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 am

There are many good German Dubs out there, Evangelion is one of them. Hannes Maurer as Shinji Ikari is almost as good as Megumi Ogata (of course this is just an personal opinion). For anyone who is curious now, here is a Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHif-cQM-k

I've also bought the UK BluRays of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22. But only on 1.11 is an English dub included. Can anyone tell me why? I've heard the US Release includes an English dub.
Anyway, I've tried to watch 1.11 with the English voices, but I really don't like them. I think "Don't Like" is the wrong word. It's hard to describe. There are few English dubs I enjoyed in Anime. One of them is Death Note.
No, it's only a dream. This convenient fabrication is your attempt to change reality. You using fantasy to escape reality. This is not a dream. That's a substitute for reality. It is a continuation of reality. It is at the end of your dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_N8cGRQ5DM

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 am

Do you mean the 1.11 UK release includes the U.S. dub while the 2.22 UK release includes the UK dub instead? That is weird! :bigeyes:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 am

My UK 2.22 from Manga has the dub as expected - I can't imagine what you've bought!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Everybody finds love... in the end. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mari-Chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mari-Chan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:18 am

Damn, I should put my glasses on :D
Indeed there is an English dub on 2.22, this was my bad. It's mentioned fat on the Backcover ;(
No, it's only a dream. This convenient fabrication is your attempt to change reality. You using fantasy to escape reality. This is not a dream. That's a substitute for reality. It is a continuation of reality. It is at the end of your dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_N8cGRQ5DM

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:10 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:After several years watching anime subtitled, you start to pick up some of the language anyway, especially the stereotyped formalities -- just like all the "Voici Jean! Voici Colette!" audiovisuals in French lessons eventually drill some of that language into you.

True.

I've taken Japanese and I have some Japanese friends, so I have a basic knowledge of the language. My brain comprehends by listening and understanding the Japanese and reading the English subtitles, not just one or the other (same with Polish, since Poland's where my family's from). Regardless of the language I'm watching a film or program in, the original language really helps me absorb things better compared to watching an English dub.

I sometimes have watched things un-subbed before, and I can get the general idea of what's going on, even if things aren't 1:1.

And like Tines said, you gradually pick up on different languages you watch, anyway.

For me, the act of having to read and interpret subtitles detracts too much from trying to also listen and comprehend a language that I'm only slightly knowledgeable in whilst also trying to interpret what's happening visually.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problems watching and enjoying subtitled media, especially live-action where dubs just don't look even remotely right and make serious films seem comical. But I'm afraid I don't get any sort of enhanced absorption of things from watching subbed. The enhancements are countered equally by detractions.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 pm

You forgot to quote SSD, Yaywalter.

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:For me, the act of having to read and interpret subtitles detracts too much from trying to also listen and comprehend a language that I'm only slightly knowledgeable in whilst also trying to interpret what's happening visually.

The only anime where I felt so overloaded that I had to switch to the dub was GitS:SAC. I feel like the "distraction" element of subtitles is frequently overstated, considering how blatantly non-kinetic a majority of anime actually is. "They're standing around opening and closing their mouths; what are you missing, exactly?"

Ultimately, though, different brains process different stimuli differently, with the result that there is no correct choice beyond the individual one. Of course, everyone's brain should work like mine; that goes without saying.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:00 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Of course, everyone's brain should work like mine; that goes without saying.
Like mine, you mean. :tongue:

On that point, as a purely self-taught speed-reader, the act of having to read and interpret subtitles is over in a blink (up to two lines of, anyway), and I often find myself considering alternate renderings (in either direction) in parallel while waiting for the sound of the dialog to complete.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:20 pm

The only time I have ever had problems with so-called "sub versions" is when the text size the appears below is ridiculously small. Seriously, the subtitles for Funimation's Eva Blu-rays were a such a pain the ass for me to read from distance (my bed) that there were times I had to rewind the scene to read what was being said. They really should go for larger subtitles.

:uhh:
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 25, "Do you love me?" ("The Ending World")

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:27 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:They really should go for larger subtitles.

Subtitles that are too big can obscure around half of the frame, and are exactly the sort of distracting that they shouldn't be. I don't remember having any such problem with the Funi subtitles, but I was viewing from "couch-distance", not "bed-distance". Honestly, all video disc players should let you set the size and position already (and make them yellow, too; white subtitles with thin black outlines PISS ME OFF SO MUCH); it boggles the mind why these options aren't standard.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Hmmmm.....Perhaps maybe I'm being a bit too nitpicky, as it's been a while since I've seen my copies of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 on Blu-ray (the Funimation versions, that is) but I do recall it being a chore to read and actually, as I said before, "rewinding" (lol at me acting like its VHS) scenes just to read what the subtitles said. I also seem recall 1.0 have white subtitles, while in 2.0 it was shifted to yellow. I guess another possibility is that my eye sight is deteriorating and/or I'm going blind.

:uhh:

US home video releases, IMHO, should use UTW-Thora-like subtitles.
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 25, "Do you love me?" ("The Ending World")

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Hmmmm.....Perhaps maybe I'm being a bit too nitpicky, as it's been a while since I've seen my copies of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 on Blu-ray

Same here. I will have to take another look, in the event that I am totally mistaken. (It has been known to happen.)

US home video releases, IMHO, should use UTW-Thora-like subtitles.

What's their stand-out feature? I don't really pay as much attention to these things as I should.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

What's their stand-out feature? I don't really pay as much attention to these things as I should.

For me, it's just a matter of preference, actually. I like the way they format their subtitles and the simplicity behind it. Their subtitles, also, are neither to big nor too small to read, at least IMHO. Hence why I wish we could see something ike that for US home video releases. If I recall, you made an "enhanced" version of their Evangelion 3.33 script that, for me, was a lot better than what they had done using their subs. Your script, I believe, was combination of what they translated and the translation that was done for the camrip. Funi did a great job with their releases but unfortunately there were instances were is wasn't difficult to detect mistakes or errors. And we're not talking about minor nitpicks, either.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:16 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Subtitles that are too big can obscure around half of the frame, and are exactly the sort of distracting that they shouldn't be. I don't remember having any such problem with the Funi subtitles, but I was viewing from "couch-distance", not "bed-distance". Honestly, all video disc players should let you set the size and position already (and make them yellow, too; white subtitles with thin black outlines PISS ME OFF SO MUCH); it boggles the mind why these options aren't standard.

You are a genius! I wonder why this hasn't happened yet.

evaunit13
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:19 am

Just got an email from Amazon telling me that my preorder's ETA changed from 18 Feb to 8-11 Jan :uhh:
i want rebuild

Stan
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I bet they'll only add like 2 or 3 extra screenings yet delay it for like 3 months :/

l33tmeatwad
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:31 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Just got an email from Amazon telling me that my preorder's ETA changed from 18 Feb to 8-11 Jan :uhh:
I got that email as well...I hope that it is true -o-;
l33tmeatwad

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Just got an email from Amazon telling me that my preorder's ETA changed from 18 Feb to 8-11 Jan :uhh:

That's quite the delay, lol

Maybe they meant 2015? :p

evaunit13
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 am

Nope, message states Jan 2014. I doubt it would be out by then, but it would be a nice surprise if it happened.
i want rebuild

Dataprime
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:36 am

Both Walmart & Rightstuf have the listing as TBD so idk what is going on.
The Amazon page says it ships within 2-3 weeks.
:huh:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:20 pm

They just make up release dates if they don't know it. It'll change. Don't get excited.

I've had stuff on order that changed four or five times.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”