Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:33 am

Just beat The Cat Lady.

Good fun! Out of all the horror games I've beaten recently, this one takes the cake as the overall best -- for its story, not its horror. (What I said previously remains true: Nothing in the game remotely scared me, creeped me out, disturbed me, etc. I can see why it would for some people, though.)

The ending I got was
SPOILER: Show

The Best End, in which Susan regains the will to live and Mitzi survives her cancer. The narration in the ending hinted that Mitzi's survival was due not just to my refusal to blow out either of the two candles at that particular choice point before the final confrontation but also to choices I had made throughout the game, and the TV Tropes page for the game describes it as the Secret Golden Ending which makes me a little surprised that I got it on my first try. All I did was follow what seemed pretty obviously like the path the creator intended rather than behaving in any remotely realistic fashion, which I find disappointing because of some of the game's themes -- I would almost have preferred if refusing to blow out a candle would have simply ended the game, or, for that matter, if choosing to put the gas mask on Mitzi and sacrificing yourself would have done the same, but I'm too much of a fan of happy endings and Take A Third Options to complain too loudly, especially because I usually complain even more loudly when games and stories take a bullshit "balance"/"everything has a cost"/"you can't win both A and B and you can't take a third option" approach when the circumstances that forced the situation were just as or more unrealistic to begin with (like when a story delivers a theme of "balance" by forcing the main character to sacrifice himself to save or resurrect their child who was only in danger or dead in the first place due to equally arbitrary or unrealistic circumstances such as a supernatural creature -- an "everyone lives at the end" scenario would in fact have been the actual balanced outcome).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 am

Adding to the large list of games I've bought/downloaded and probably won't play (but should) along with the PS2 version of Deus Ex and the original Metal Gear Solid, I bought TimeSplitters 2 (they didn't have the original in the shop) for my Xbox. It's supposed to be very good, especially the multiplayer, so I'll hopefully get time to play it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
The ending I got was

The Best End, in which Susan regains the will to live and Mitzi survives her cancer. The narration in the ending hinted that Mitzi's survival was due not just to my refusal to blow out either of the two candles at that particular choice point before the final confrontation but also to choices I had made throughout the game, and the TV Tropes page for the game describes it as the Secret Golden Ending which makes me a little surprised that I got it on my first try. All I did was follow what seemed pretty obviously like the path the creator intended rather than behaving in any remotely realistic fashion, which I find disappointing because of some of the game's themes -- I would almost have preferred if refusing to blow out a candle would have simply ended the game, or, for that matter, if choosing to put the gas mask on Mitzi and sacrificing yourself would have done the same, but I'm too much of a fan of happy endings and Take A Third Options to complain too loudly, especially because I usually complain even more loudly when games and stories take a bullshit "balance"/"everything has a cost"/"you can't win both A and B and you can't take a third option" approach when the circumstances that forced the situation were just as or more unrealistic to begin with (like when a story delivers a theme of "balance" by forcing the main character to sacrifice himself to save or resurrect their child who was only in danger or dead in the first place due to equally arbitrary or unrealistic circumstances such as a supernatural creature -- an "everyone lives at the end" scenario would in fact have been the actual balanced outcome).

Wow. Didn't know that.

The ending I got was the almost-as-good ending in which Mitzi dies of cancer after six months but Susan regains the will to live. I think I've made the same choices as you in most respects (saying 'I'll do it my own way' to the old woman, refusing to blow out a candle at the end, etc. So where I probably went wrong was in giving Mitzi the gas mask. Probably. I suppose it'll take me another playthrough to find out.
[/spoiler]
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm waiting for Killer is Dead to come in the mail
I will enjoy the hell of out it! ^_^

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm

^I heard it wasn't that good but no-one really seems to know much about the plot, so be sure to let us know how it goes ^_^

I really can't believe I stayed up this late so I get start playing the first chapter of The Walking Dead: Season 2. I can't spoil what happens, but...wow. I was not expecting that. And I'm not even 25% of the way through the chapter yet. Looks like Telltale's still got it as far as storytelling is concerned, and the graphics are a bit of a step-up from the last game so I'm enjoying gazing at the scenery more.

And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm sure it will be good. I love all of Suda 51's games
and yes, I also can't wait to play season 2 as well. Replayed season 1 again last weekend
to get ready

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:13 am

Finished Chapter 1 of TWD: Season 2. It was pretty awesome, which was a relief. Although at the moment the story feels incomplete (obviously) without the other chapters; I suppose that's how Telltale makes the audience want to wait for the other chapters. The story was quite gripping (for me at least) and there are some good plot twists. I'm interested to see how things shake out in the next chapter.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:52 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Wow. Didn't know that.

The Cat Lady  SPOILER: Show

The ending I got was the almost-as-good ending in which Mitzi dies of cancer after six months but Susan regains the will to live. I think I've made the same choices as you in most respects (saying 'I'll do it my own way' to the old woman, refusing to blow out a candle at the end, etc. So where I probably went wrong was in giving Mitzi the gas mask. Probably. I suppose it'll take me another playthrough to find out.

I did that too, so now I'm really confused. Maybe you should consult a FAQ or something, that'll probably be faster than comparing notes and taking wild stabs.

As I mentioned in the RML thread, I've been playing SCP-087-B and SCP Containment Breach. :jiggy: Even just playing these was my "unconquerable mountain" starting back in February when just watching videos of these games put me down a path where I scared myself so bad I was a wreck for what must have been weeks. And now I'm not just playing them, I'm playing them and trying to beat them!

...Or I would be except that SCP Containment Breach (the more complex and therefore interesting of the two) keeps on crashing! :hitthetable: What irony! I actually want to play the game now and it won't even let me! I can't get past a certain point without it giving me a stupid Memory Access Violation error!

Also recently got back into The Walking Dead after purchasing the second season. I never completed the first season, not by a long shot. I recently started chapter 2. -o-; The problem is that the game is just so damn tense it's hard for me to play. The social tension and trust issues in the game are the kind of thing I can barely stand to watch in anything. It's not something I can't push myself through but it's still difficult.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Turning on my PS3 for the first time in around ten months. Let's see how long this thing takes to update itself, then on to finally finishing Mass Effect 3.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 am

...And now I'm finally finished with Mass Effect 3. I may or may not go for the other endings tomorrow. I think the game's been in my console for about a year....

...Time to sleep most of Saturday away.... :zzz:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Finished my business at goodsprings, got a new sheriff for Primm, have robot ball as [s:2irc3bpo]load mule[/s:2irc3bpo] companion. I think i'm on level 6 or so, with an asexual character (neither "Black widow" or "eternal bachelor" perks chosen). It's a bit surprising how different early-levels perk development is if you choose not to go with either of those perks.

Overall, i gotta admit that Hardcore mode is way less hard/unforgiving than i thought it would be. I literally have more food than i know what do with and i've never ran the slightless risk of dehydration or sleep deprivation (and in the case of the former, i generally only get minor dehydration when i forget to drink something rather than lacking water), and getting money is not that hard either. Although that might be because i'm mostly ok with sneaking and stealing things from towns as well as scavenging. It seems that radioactivity is a bit more serious of an issue though.

Now, there are two things that are significantly and noticeable more difficult in hardcore mode: Weight/equipment organization and combat. While the dehydration and other bars are a bit too lax these are the two parts where harcore really shines. The ammo weight and increased weight of some things like weapons (probably just personal perception) forces you to really think about how to manage your inventory and what you carry, and (until i found a companion) severely limited the amount of loot i could carry with me. Combat is much more deadly (you die much more easily, specially without heavy armor) and crippled limbs are serious fucking bussiness. I'm kind of glad you can never really suffer some permanent damage from untreated injuries.

Aside from that, i gotta admit i don't remember there being that much to do and explore in the Mojave wasteland. In my first playthroughts i was too focused on the main storyline that i didn't really take the chance to just go and wander around the world finding adventures. The most noteworthy thing i did until now were the missions for the powder gangers in the NCR prison. Having the choice of snitching them to the NCR and taking part in the raid has been the greatest moment of this playthrought so far. I think i could choose the NCR only for the awesome raids! :lol:

So yeah, hardcore gives the game a very different feel. Both glad and dissapointed it isn't as unforgiving i thought it was going to be.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:30 am

Started playing Borderlands 2 again, clearing off all the sidequests I missed on the first sweep.

And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:14 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I may or may not go for the other endings tomorrow.

Don't bother, the nearest save point is an annoying amount of time back. Just youtube 'em and you'll be fine.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:20 am

So after a couple of years I got around to finishing the Mass Effect trilogy. I'm not even going to rant about the various things I disliked in the game, but the ending is just so wrong I want to write something about it. What seems like a hilariously badly written but thematically ambitious Galactica rip-off with multiple "choices" on the surface turns out to be just the facade for a big TWEEEST that's just about as ridiculous as some of the worst ideas in Lost. Ending a trilogy that was supposed to be about choices like this is just sad. Heck, the Paragon/Renegade game design screwed up on me even though I played along with it until the end.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:28 am

Started playing Pikmin 3. I'm enjoying it a lot more than my previous attempts at the first two games (maybe because I'm managing better in fights this time). The graphics and atmosphere are great, as well, and the Pikmin are as cute as ever. I wish the story mode was co-op, though.

And I'm nothing like you

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:11 am

I won't get to play either of them until I return from my upcoming trip, but I'm really looking forward to playing Gothic II and Ultima VII. I keep hearing they're among the greatest RPGs ever made, so we'll see how much water that claim holds. I might play Baldur's Gate II again, too.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:57 am

Been on a Civilization V kick whenever I can't be on Realm Reborn for connection issues (read: my internet can only support one real-time stream at a time without massive lag, so I get kicked when my family uses Netflix).

I've taken to beating a difficulty level with each of the various methods on to the next. Started at Chieftain, got to Warlord recently. Also of note, I do not set up any of the game details. Helps to get an understanding of each civ's strengths, and then exploiting them to the max.

At some point once I'm at a sufficiently tough difficulty level, I plan on chronicling everything during one of these random games and presenting it as an alternate history fic (much like this person did for Russia in Civ IV). The inspiration was a game I played as the British. The map consisted primarily of islands, and the homeland was basically a large triangle. So, London and York were surrounded by the Great Wall while Hastings was not. This led to the idea that the wealthy live in London/York and the laborers live in Hastings, or something to that effect.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Lobsel Vith be praised, the Nintendo eShop managed to get its act together long enough for me to download The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. I honestly didn't think that the graphics were going to be this good; the game itself is still as awesome as I remember it, if not more so. I didn't expect the Wii U Gamepad to serve well as a controller, but it actually works pretty well and I haven't had any problems with combat or movement.

And I'm nothing like you

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:16 am

Oh, Wind Waker was such a great game an the only reason my my gamecube is still connected to my monitor, pretty much.
I heard they even removed a few dumb things and made it even better!
If Monster Hunter 4 makes it to the WiiU as well I am seriously considering getting a WiiU so I can play MH3U online with my 3DS savedata and play Wind Waker but then again do I really have that much time to game anymore agh

SHINOYAMI PLAY TONS OF VIDYA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
NO REGRETS

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I just bought Shin Megami Tensei IV yesterday.
Never played the series before, always wanted too.
So I'll be playing this for a good long while.

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”